Author Topic: OT: Anyone know anything about patents?  (Read 3583 times)

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
OT: Anyone know anything about patents?
« on: April 22, 2009, 11:45:16 PM »
So... slightly off topic. I've been working on a number of inventions for the past couple of years. I was stuck on a problem with making one of them function correctly (likely because I'm not an electrical engineer) and I had a huge breakthrough the other night making it finally prototypable and functional.

My question (mostly for the engineers I guess) I know that schematics or blueprints are the way to go. But do you guys learn about how to go about putting something you design on paper so that its marketable? I mean... I started filling out paper work for patents on 2 of the ideas, but I want to have a functioning prototype of each (or at least drawings/schematics) to submit with the patents, so that it will be a design patent instead of simply an idea patent. I just don't know anything about any of this? Any help or just general thinking aloud would be helpful.

1 device is an electrical device, so I'm thinking wiring diagrams.
The other device is a mechanical device so I'm thinking more like blueprints?

Thoughts? Or know anyone/where I can go to talk to or find out?
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Meest

• UND
Re: OT: Anyone know anything about patents?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 12:26:09 AM »
Find a patent lawyer and get the correct information. I too have asked this for my audio tinkering, and it is the only correct answer as patent filing has turned into something the common person can't do without somehow screwing themselves over without knowing it, thanks to the system. There were some very convincing stories that were shown to me.

I don't know of a patent lawyer around here as I don't have the money to invest in my idea at this time. :( Wish I could help you more.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 09:28:17 AM »
In general, you need to be able to demonstrate that your invention is new and different enough to deserve its own patent.  This involves either creating something entirely new or using something existing in a new way.  You can demonstrate this by including all of your wiring diagrams (the ones that demonstrate novelty) and any other diagrams that exhibit the specific features you are claiming as your invention, as well as a physical description that references existing patents (that are either similar enough to your own that people may be confused as to the difference or are of existing methods or devices that you have used in creating your invention).  For example, if you were the first person to invent a microchip, you would have to reference the patent for the transistor because it is an integral part.

I'm sure this has changed somewhat since I have last looked into it.  If you wish to know more before you decide on a lawyer or not, the USPTO has the information: http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/guides.htm
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 10:42:36 AM »
Bek is right. Patenting any invention takes a lot of work and TIME. First, I would search in a patent data base (google patents) to see if your idea already exists (there is a big chance that it does). Once you are absolutely sure there is no product like yours, you can start looking into technical details. One of our grad students is in the process of patenting one of our payloads. If you need some more detailed info, talk to me.
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 12:15:32 PM »
I figured I'd have to demonstrate its difference, and am aware of the VAST number of patents out there. I haven't searched through the database yet because I want to write out schematics first (or I'll never find the motivation). I guess the next question is, I know for a fact that neither of my 2 top ideas are in production. Let's say the idea's are already patented, how do I go about marketing them? Or can I?
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 12:28:17 PM »
If the ideas are already patented, than you might have hard time marketing them, because you can get sued be that other somebody who already patented the idea.
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 01:18:08 PM »
Yeah thats obvious... I meant there has to be a way to pay royalties or something. For example... rolling luggage? Would this be something that has a patent? Lots of people make rolling luggage? I know you can get design patents that are simply modifications... so would the suspension system on my rolling luggage be patented? I'm so confused. I should just start building my shit and wait to get sued.

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 02:31:21 PM »
It depends what you want Dave. If you want to have exclusive rights to build suspension for the rolling luggage, then you need to patent it. If you don't mind to see the competition building something similar, than you don't need a patent.

Offline Flutterbye

• UND
  • Skeletor rides again!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 10:41:10 PM »
I suggest talking with Eric Giltner. I believe he is in the Small Business Administration and that his office is on campus. He came and talked with our class (ask Em if you need more info)  and he gave us stories about people he helped to market their idea (and patent- maybe?)

(sorry, I don't have his contact info)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:41:56 PM by Flutterbye »
If you're overweight, we're towing away your car.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic