Author Topic: Oh hey. UND publishes all our cell phone numbers. And sells them at Valley Dairy  (Read 4446 times)

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Apparently... according to the DS, the University publishes a directory booklet. This is good.

BUT IT HAS ALL OF YOUR STUDENT INFORMATION LISTED! Addresses. Email. CELL PHONE NUMBERS! Oh and for some reason... these are FOR SALE AT VALLEY DAIRY!

What the heck? Article not up on DS yet. Its in this current issue (I picked it up today).
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
It's for sale at the bookstore too.

I never thought it would include contact info for off-campus students though.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• UND
UND = Ridiculous.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Any update on this?

Reminds me that I need to go email the DS staff...

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Oh come on guys, this is new at UND?  NDSU/MSUM has been publishing a student directory for years.  Of course it includes student cell phone numbers but not faculty/staff.  At least we complained enough to get a suppression form.

As for selling... wow thats bad.. but maybe better since people would have to put a little effort into getting that info as opposed to it being freely available.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
If you live on campus, that's one thing, but if you don't, I don't think the university should be able to sell the information.  I would think this could be opt-in instead of opt-out.

Offline Plantains

• UND
Theres no such thing as an opt-in at a college. You opt-in for everything when you accept their acceptance.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Then why are you complaining?

Amazingly, the only thing opt-in at UND seems to be the emergency notification, which you think wouldn't be a choice.

Offline Plantains

• UND
Im complaining because colleges are bullshit when it comes to rights and society is worse. I mean they're publishing peoples information and SELLING IT and theres no recourse to stop this because an individual surrenders most if not all rights by accepting the acceptance to a University.

A person has no right for anything on a college campus. You can't protest at will (tho people do, and sometimes they don't get shut down because the college doesn't want to look bad), you can't do anything about them price gouging, you can't really do anything? because you surrender rights. SO what do you mean why am I complaining? I want a college education, and furthermore a highly specialized one that can't be gotten in many places. So what choice do I have but to succumb to their terms? UND could raise the price of parking more than the 100% that they have the last 3 years and I'd complain but what would I do? They could raise tuition by $10,000 but what would I do? I'd have to keep going because I'm "too far in"... rest assured though... In the 70's when colleges "needed" people they did things to get you, but now that "People need college" they can and will do anything to exploit the customer. Its a business. This is simply the latest straw added to the back of the student. The issue though is when will the 18-22 crowd start to give a shit about anything more than popularity.

Keep doing nothing though, and you just make it acceptable.

I'm further disturbed because people care more about the noise ordinance being "unconstitutional" on this campus than the sale of your information to anyone.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic