Author Topic: NCCCC Conference Media Representative "internship"  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
NCCCC Conference Media Representative "internship"
« on: January 28, 2010, 10:38:08 AM »
If anyone is interested in this, it would probably be some great experience.  Even if you aren't on the team, if you wanted to come to races and do media stuff for the conference, something might be able to get worked out.  I wish I could do it myself, but I'm busy enough as it is.

Happy Monday everyone,

For the 2010 Road season, we’ll be trying out a new program for volunteers with an interest in journalism, publicity, communications, or PR. Here’s what we’re looking for:

-Excellent writing skills
-Ability to work on a deadline
-High level of organization
-Weekly race attendance

If you possess these qualities, you can be your conference’s Media Representative! It will look good on a résumé, you’ll learn a great deal, and your work will help increase the visibility of collegiate cycling, all with just a couple hours’ effort a week! Here are the tasks we’re asking you to perform each week:

1.       Write a pre-event press release for each race and contact at least one media outlet to try and get it into the local news
2.       Write a post-event press release for each race and try and get it into the local news, too.
3.       Submit the post-event report to me for publication on usacycling.org

We’ve even created templates and guidelines for the press releases so you only have to fill in the blanks if you’re short on time. It’s as easy as it can be, but there is plenty of opportunity to go above and beyond, too. The most successful Conference Media Representatives (most articles placed, etc.) will receive some swag (I’m working out the details as I type) courtesy of USA Cycling. This may sound like slave labor (which it sort of is) but it is also an excellent opportunity to burnish some skills and your résumé. Basically you get to write a couple paragraphs about what you love to do every week!

Please respond with a paragraph explaining why you should be your conference’s M.R. by the end of the week. Think of it as a micro cover letter without the résumé.

And of course contact me with any questions you may have. Thanks everyone.

-Jeffrey

Jeffrey Hansen
High School & Collegiate Cycling Program Manager
USA Cycling
210 USA Cycling Pt.
Colorado Springs, CO 80919
[email protected]
(p) 719 434 4215
(c) 719 229 9780
(f) 719 434 4315
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Re: NCCCC Conference Media Representative "internship"
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 02:32:14 PM »
I was pretty much expecting you to do it. lol... If I could make the races, I'd do it in a heartbeat... since the best jobs in aviation are going to be writing about it, I could use the experience.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything