Author Topic: Windows Vista  (Read 12059 times)

Offline bisonguy

• NDSU
Windows Vista
« on: October 04, 2006, 02:58:16 PM »
What do you think of the new windows vista that is coming out?

I recently read this article about it:

---
Vista to include anti-piracy measures

By ALLISON LINN, AP Business Writer 59 minutes ago

Microsoft Corp.'s forthcoming Windows Vista will take much harsher steps to curtail piracy than previous versions of its operating system, including crippling the usefulness of computers found to be running unlicensed copies of the new software.

The world's largest software maker said Wednesday that people running a version of Windows Vista that it believes is pirated will initially be denied access to some of the most anticipated Vista features. That includes Windows Aero, an improved graphics technology.

If a legitimate copy is not bought within 30 days, the system will curtail functionality much further by restricting users to just the Web browser for an hour at a time, said Thomas Lindeman, Microsoft senior product manager.

Under that scenario, a person could use the browser to surf the Web, access documents on the hard drive or log onto Web-based e-mail. But the user would not be able to directly open documents from the computer desktop or run other programs such as Outlook e-mail software, Lindeman said.

Microsoft said it won't stop a computer running pirated Vista software from working completely, and it will continue to deliver critical security updates.

The company also said it has added more sophisticated technology for monitoring whether a system is pirated. For example, the system will be able to perform some piracy checks internally, without contacting Microsoft, Lindeman said.

Microsoft also is adding ways to more closely monitor for piracy among big corporate users, who tend to buy licenses in bulk.

Microsoft plans to take similar tough measures with the forthcoming version of its Windows server software, dubbed "Longhorn," and to incorporate it into other products down the road.

The crackdown shows how much more seriously Microsoft has started taking Windows piracy, which for years has been extremely widespread in areas such as Russia and China. The Business Software Alliance, a software industry group, estimates that 35 percent of software installed on PCs worldwide is pirated.

In recent years, the market for Windows ? one of Microsoft's main cash cows ? has become more saturated. That's left the company eager to make money from users who may otherwise have obtained illegal Windows copies.

Microsoft has already instituted tougher piracy checks for Windows XP users who want to get free add-ons such as anti-spyware programs. But until now, the warnings and punitive measures were mainly seen as annoying, rather than debilitating.

Cori Hartje, director of Microsoft's Genuine Software Initiative, said the company now wants users to notice the difference between legal and pirated copies of Vista.

"Our goal is to really make a differentiated experience for genuine and non-genuine users," Hartje said.

Analyst Roger Kay with Endpoint Technologies Associates noted that Microsoft has the right to curtail illegal distribution of its software. The new piracy measures, he said, "seem harsh only in comparison to how lenient it has been."

Nevertheless, Kay said he expects that the anti-piracy tactics will keep some people from upgrading to Vista from the current operating system, Windows XP.

"There will be an XP backlash, which is to say people clinging to XP in order to avoid this," he said.

Kay also doesn't expect the new piracy measures to be that effective against hardcore pirates, who have built de facto businesses selling illegal Windows copies. But he thinks it will stop some lower-level piracy.

After many delays, Redmond-based Microsoft is expected to release Vista to businesses in November and consumers in January.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061004/ap_on_hi_te/windows_vista_piracy;_ylt=ApRc7sfaYZd4FiKmTsqP2tNk24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTBidHQxYjh2BHNlYwN5bnN0b3J5
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 02:58:57 PM by bisonguy »

Offline chuckles

• NDSU
Re: Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 09:36:27 PM »
vista shouldn't become microsoft's solution to an operating system. I have run preview (beta) versions and the operating system alone will drag your computer system to a hult. In order to take full advantage of all the features you have to have one pimped out machine, not that $499 dell tv special. So if they ever decide to release it for retail, you might want to hold off on buying it for a couple years. Windows XP will still be the standard for a looooong time. A lot of consumer?s machines won't be able to run vista, and only in the last 6 months have they started selling "vista ready" computers. I do like some features, don't get me wrong, but its going to be a pain to integrate into the market

Offline ge_bjf007

• NDSU
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 07:47:32 PM »
vista shouldn't become microsoft's solution to an operating system. I have run preview (beta) versions and the operating system alone will drag your computer system to a hult. In order to take full advantage of all the features you have to have one pimped out machine, not that $499 dell tv special. So if they ever decide to release it for retail, you might want to hold off on buying it for a couple years. Windows XP will still be the standard for a looooong time. A lot of consumer?s machines won't be able to run vista, and only in the last 6 months have they started selling "vista ready" computers. I do like some features, don't get me wrong, but its going to be a pain to integrate into the market

Well thats pretty stupid... go figure from Micro$oft.  I really had no intention to buy it until it basically becomes required.  I cant wait to see how many security vulnerabilities it has.  IE7 was released and in less then 1 day a major security vulnerability was found.  I will stay with my partitioned hard drive with both Linux and Windows XP and I will stay with Firefox!
Go Bison!

Offline aaron.axvig

• NDSU
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 10:21:57 PM »
the operating system alone will drag your computer system to a hult. In order to take full advantage of all the features you have to have one pimped out machine, not that $499 dell tv special. So if they ever decide to release it for retail, you might want to hold off on buying it for a couple years. Windows XP will still be the standard for a looooong time. A lot of consumer?s machines won't be able to run vista, and only in the last 6 months have they started selling "vista ready" computers. I do like some features, don't get me wrong, but its going to be a pain to integrate into the market

Not true at all.  I have Vista RC1 on my 1.6GHz Pentium-M computer, and it is just as fast as XP was (one note, I have 1.5GB of RAM, which I needed in XP anyways to get good performance).  I have been using it for 2 months now I think.  I don't have a graphics card capable of running the Aero Glass effects (translucencies), but it is still a quite attractive OS.  This computer is quite comparable to what any student entering NDSU fall 2005 like me might have bought, even if they knew nothing about computers and just walked into Best Buy.

And I don't know why you are whining about not being able to have fancy graphics ("taking full advantage of all the features) and it not being fast in the same sentence.  If you want fast on any OS, you turn off the fancy graphics.  If you want the fancy graphics, pay the price.

Finally, the vast majority of people who get Vista will get it on a new computer that is capable of running it well.  The small portion of those that upgrade from XP on the same computer will mostly be people who built their own anyways, and know what they are doing.  It will be a pain only for the remaining small portion of that small portion.

Offline ge_bjf007

• NDSU
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 12:11:57 AM »
Not true at all.  I have Vista RC1 on my 1.6GHz Pentium-M computer, and it is just as fast as XP was (one note, I have 1.5GB of RAM, which I needed in XP anyways to get good performance).  I have been using it for 2 months now I think.  I don't have a graphics card capable of running the Aero Glass effects (translucencies), but it is still a quite attractive OS.  This computer is quite comparable to what any student entering NDSU fall 2005 like me might have bought, even if they knew nothing about computers and just walked into Best Buy.

And I don't know why you are whining about not being able to have fancy graphics ("taking full advantage of all the features) and it not being fast in the same sentence.  If you want fast on any OS, you turn off the fancy graphics.  If you want the fancy graphics, pay the price.

Finally, the vast majority of people who get Vista will get it on a new computer that is capable of running it well.  The small portion of those that upgrade from XP on the same computer will mostly be people who built their own anyways, and know what they are doing.  It will be a pain only for the remaining small portion of that small portion.

I am not terribly excited for vista.  I think I will run XP for as long as possible.  Does vista have a ton of bugs (wouldn't surprise me based on micros history).
Go Bison!

Offline zman

• NDSU
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 01:52:32 AM »

I am sure it will run like other windows os (not so well).

Offline amyc

• NDSU
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 09:32:23 PM »
Has anyone upgraded to Vista yet? I heard it is out.

mburtonk

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 07:30:09 PM »
A friend of mine is using it, but he just bought a brand new computer so his experience will probably be somewhat different than someone upgrading.  It looks pretty, but I haven't been able to get my hands in to play with it.

He will, however, be running some pretty serious geology software on it, so if Vista is going to crap out, I'm sure I'll hear about it.

I also heard on the street that they removed some firewire support, which is just weird.

It's disappointing that an operating system has become so bloated.  They should be working to streamline everything, not make it bigger.  Of course, I say this, and I'm running Mac OS X Tiger, which takes up a couple gigabytes on the hard drive.

Offline sscamaro1967

• UND
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 11:55:50 PM »
I have vista ultimate on my desktop and vista home premium on the laptop, I personally prefer windows vista over xp now, if your computer can handle the graphics that Aero puts out its pretty cool. I got it for the laptop first, it works ok, but you gotta have at least 1 gig or ram, its pretty needy on resources, i've only experienced a few problems, the first was trying to play a few games, there are known issues with vista that make some of them not work... The other is that there are limited drivers for some twain devices, ie: my friends epson printer wouldn't work. 

The nicest thing though is that when installing a fresh copy of vista it searches for drivers a lot better than XP did, also it seems more secure as i've not had a virus yet..

The folders such as my documents and downloads and what not also seem more organized.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 01:21:13 PM »
Linux!

Here is a nice comparison:

[youtube=425,350]xC5uEe5OzNQ[/youtube]

CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 01:48:26 PM »
ooOOOOooo.

The one thing that jumped out at me from that was how much I dislike the taskbar now that I have the dock in OS X.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline sscamaro1967

• UND
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 03:50:41 PM »
I don't have a mac, so not sure on osx, but i know that if your weary of buying a new pc because your not sure if you can trust vista, its safe... I  prefer it now over xp.  I still dual boot because its nice having a choice sometimes, and i didn't want to lose all my settings and such. 

If you do upgrade, i would suggest you have a very decent computer, nothing under 1 gig, 2 if you can help it. you'll also want to have a dual core processor, I just got a 3800+ but dual core would be much smoother, Vista is pretty needy, also if your looking at upgrading vista the bare minimum to go with would be home premium, don't even consider home basic.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 03:55:05 PM »
Haha, I'm not wary of buying a new pc because of Vista.  I have a Mac that works fine, and I don't see the need to run Windows at all right now.  In the future if I upgrade and get a MacBook Pro, I might use Parallels to dual boot, but I don't think I'd want to use Vista because it sucks down resources.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 11:09:09 PM »
I don't have a mac, so not sure on osx, but i know that if your weary of buying a new pc because your not sure if you can trust vista, its safe... I  prefer it now over xp.  I still dual boot because its nice having a choice sometimes, and i didn't want to lose all my settings and such. 

If you do upgrade, i would suggest you have a very decent computer, nothing under 1 gig, 2 if you can help it. you'll also want to have a dual core processor, I just got a 3800+ but dual core would be much smoother, Vista is pretty needy, also if your looking at upgrading vista the bare minimum to go with would be home premium, don't even consider home basic.

You wonder why Vista is so needy.  I really have not seen anything that cool.
CampusDakota.com

Offline sscamaro1967

• UND
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 11:16:52 PM »
Its not to bad actually, i've been screwing around with some of the settings and it seams just a bit more needy than xp.  I dunno but i think its a lot better, i haven't booted into xp forever now.   

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 11:18:16 PM »
Its not to bad actually, i've been screwing around with some of the settings and it seams just a bit more needy than xp.  I dunno but i think its a lot better, i haven't booted into xp forever now.   

Do most programs work with it?
CampusDakota.com

Offline sscamaro1967

• UND
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 11:22:36 PM »
Most, some games....TMNT and what not.....also my g/f sometimes watches tv online and CWTV will only work in XP, also i coulnd't get onto campus connection in vista today, but got into it on xp on a friends machine... but programs such as nero, most games, windvd, itunes and almsot any other normal program work flawlessly.... even DVD 95copy, which i thought would for sure have trouble.....  I like vista too because when i fresh build a new pc it finds the drivers almost inmediatly as opposed to xp i've had to get the disks out, or search online, of worst case have to get drivers on disk from another computer (nic drivers) because it wouldn't connect.   So i think in a couple months there will be several new patches and the few problems will be fixed.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 11:29:02 PM »
Cool.

Campus Connection doesn't work that well anyway.
CampusDakota.com

Offline sscamaro1967

• UND
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 08:42:56 PM »
Just a quick tip to those who think they want vista,   I would strongly recommend reading up on the hardware support pages to check compatibility first.  I had a freind that has a compaq R3000 laptop with a Nvidia Geforce 4 vid card in it and it was not supported, so check some pages  first, the main thing is going to be your video card.   I just refurbished an HP laptop and put in a new motherboard with an X600 and it is compatible...I think X300 is the lowest compatible ati, and NVidia FX series. 

Offline ajekt

• NDSU
Re: Windows Vista - Mojave Experiment
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 03:02:51 PM »
Old topic I know.

Check out Window's Mojave Experiment

I have used vista and its not that bad.  I think all the bad stuff you hear is just part of Apple's marketing plan.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOIq7jG1Byc[/youtube]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 03:04:02 PM by ajekt »
N-D-S-U ... Goooooo Bison!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic