Author Topic: GROUP RIDES: FALL-LA-LA-LA-LA 2012  (Read 10667 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
GROUP RIDES: FALL-LA-LA-LA-LA 2012
« on: August 15, 2012, 08:46:39 AM »
Official Group Rides: Fall 2012

- All official UND Cycling rides leave from Memorial Union, UND Campus, including travel to Turtle River SP for MTB.  Other rides (such as those sponsored by The Ski and Bike Shop) may depart from other locations.
- Helmets are required
- When posting, include date, time, expected route/length/duration (or TBD) and type of ride (road, mountain, around town, urban assault, hub, etc.).  Since some people don't have time to watch this thread all day, please try to have the time worked out before you post up.
- Anyone can post a ride.  This means you!

Terminology:
- No drop: the whole group rides as fast as the slowest rider.  Focus is on camaraderie and group skills (pacelines, rotations, three-man drops, etc.).  Applied to road rides.
- Around town: group ride on whatever bike you happen to feel like riding.  Focus is on exploration, hanging out, and usually finding something to eat.
- Training (or "not a no drop"): Road ride at an accelerated pace dictated by how the group is feeling or a training schedule.  If you can't keep up, you will get dropped off the back and may have to ride home alone (although we try to avoid these things).  Focus is on replicating harder race-pace efforts.
- Urban assault: Some people like to huck off of things; this type of ride is for them.  Focus is on hucking off of things.
- Helmet: that thing you wear on your head when you ride with UNDCC.

I also want to add, I talk to LOTS of people who seem to think that they "don't have the right bike" for a particular ride.

I wouldn't really worry too much about that. Our goal is to get you riding. If someone posts a no-drop ride and you want to show up on your cruiser/trackbike/fixed gear/hybrid/whatever, please do. If you have a helmet and a bike, you can ride. Now... we'll be realistic with you, if you're showing up on a bike that either isn't safe or is largely inappropriate for the type of ride the group will be doing, we'll tell you that...

*** BUT we'll ALSO give you tips/pointers/coupons/deals for stuff to get ur bike into shape!***

Some of us are very experienced mechanics and may even be able to fix something RIGHT THERE! Now hows THAT for service! If not, most of us are willing to take an hour or two to help you wrench on your stuff to get it right (and safe)

If it's just the wrong type of bike, that isn't a problem either. We'll perhaps suggest a route that you're able to ride part of it with us, and then the group may ride the rest and if you get dropped you get dropped, maybe someone will HAVE a bike for sale or to borrow so that you CAN come and ride with us, or maybe we'll suggest when you should come check out a particular ride that is suited specifically to your bicycle!

Bottom line... we aren't haters. Just come and ride.

JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: GROUP RIDES: FALL-LA-LA-LA-LA 2012
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 08:51:58 AM »
- Wednesday HARD road ride hosted by Ski & Bike Shop: 6:30 PM from behind SBS, 1711 South Washington Street.  Although you will learn how to push yourself and some group riding skills, this isn't really a teaching ride, so be aware.

- Thursday Ladies Ride hosted by Ski & Bike Shop: 6:30 PM from behind SBS, 1711 South Washington Street.  All ladies are welcome, all bicycles are welcome, all types of riders are welcome, so show up!

- Sunday mountain bike ride hosted by Ski & Bike Shop at Turtle River State Park.  Post up here if you need a ride or have space to offer:
SAT. AUG. 18th @ Turtle River State Park. the Shop will be hosting a Mtn Bike ride from 2-5pm, after the ride we'll be supplying some dogs/brats....first come first served for you bikers, MAYBE some sort of beverage, we'll see how nice Dave is feeling......at 6:20pm, we will head over to the Trails Planning Meeting (maybe ride our bikes right on in to the Visitor Centre!)....working on securing camping spots....make a weekend of it folks!

Offline JakeCooley

• UND
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 10:53:17 AM »
Hey anyone looking to do a 30-50mi ride today (Sunday) at a moderate to hard pace? Excited to get group rides going again! We should have a get together soon?! Blue Moose? JL? Rhombus? Grill out?

Offline Andrew Mills

• UND
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 11:34:16 AM »
Hey Jake!   A get together sounds great!   I am not sure if I will have time for a ride today I have a lot of stuff to get done, but hopefully this week we can get some rides in!

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 09:59:30 PM »
Grand Forks Night Ride!  Wednesday - 9pm, leave from Townsquare. Route/pace based on the group that shows up (no drop),  Everyone is welcome to beverages at my place (S side of town) afterwards.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 08:41:02 AM »
Any sort of bicycle?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 01:52:22 PM »
Thursday night there's a group ride on the Greenway led by the Greater Grand Forks Young Professionals: http://connecttheparks.weebly.com/events.html

Offline xrs12343

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 02:18:57 AM »
Could anyone share any more detail on what the pace and distance are like on the Wednesday 6:30 PM rides? Would it be a bad idea for a newer rider on a road bike to come along? Thanks for your help.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »
Hi xrs12343, welcome!

The Wednesday shop rides are generally "hard" paced, as determined by the experienced riders who lead the ride.  Distances is usually around 30-35 miles depending on wind direction.  The rides can happen a couple ways: there is 1) some sort of structured workout (a couple minutes on, a couple minutes off), 2) a series of sprints and recovery periods, or 3) a hammerfest.  The first two are better for newer riders, the last one is hold-on-for-your-life.

If you are newer and want to see how much better you can get, or if you just want to meet some other riders in town, you're welcome to show up.  You can always either drop of the back and head home if you can't keep up, it's not a big deal.

Alternatively, you can show up to the night ride at 9 PM tonight, which won't be super hard and you might meet more people (I'm assuming you don't know a lot of people).

Hope this helps.  If you want to head out for a ride with people anytime, feel free to post here and say so and you could get some other people showing up.  Ask more if you have more questions.

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 10:57:13 AM »
The 9pm ride tonight is any bicycle / any light.  If you don't have lights, that's ok - we should have plenty of light to share. Just make sure to get to the townsquare safe!   Beverages and goodies at my place afterwards.   

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 02:18:38 PM »
Thursday Ladies Ride hosted by Ski & Bike Shop: 6:30 PM from behind SBS, 1711 South Washington Street.  All ladies are welcome, all bicycles are welcome, all types of riders are welcome, so show up!

Offline Andrew Mills

• UND
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 07:04:04 PM »
Hey Aaron!    The ride sounds awesome!    Unfortunately I am to finish some school work and work on some of my clinical skills stuff for tomorrow.  Otherwise I would totally be there.  Hope it is a good ride and hopefully I can catch the next ride you guys do! :D

Offline JakeCooley

• UND
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 08:05:56 AM »
Any rides today, I'm done at 3:30

Offline Andrew Mills

• UND
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 11:48:11 AM »
Hey Jake, sorry but I have my clinical skills (ACE) exam today until 5:30 and I have class afterwards until 8:30, so i won't be able to make it :(

Offline Alaska Unicyclist

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 04:49:57 PM »
Ride Today, 1000ft of elevation gain, sunny 72 degrees, 4:00Pacific Time... call me when you get here
"It never gets easier, you just get faster" - Greg Lemond

Offline Toaster

• UND
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 02:20:27 PM »
OH MAN, you got me beat Logan, you got me beat. It's only going to be about 65 degrees and sunny for my CX training ride this evening. 5:45pm mountain time. Call me when you get here.
Just try and step to UND Cycling if you wanna test your luck.

Offline Alaska Unicyclist

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 02:08:30 PM »
OH MAN, you got me beat Logan, you got me beat. It's only going to be about 65 degrees and sunny for my CX training ride this evening. 5:45pm mountain time. Call me when you get here.

:)
"It never gets easier, you just get faster" - Greg Lemond

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 02:32:59 PM »
Chilidog 'Cross practice, 6 PM, meet by the entrance to Lincoln Drive Park.

And you guys who live in places with real hills can suck it.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything