Author Topic: Beginner Road Bike  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Meest

• UND
Beginner Road Bike
« on: May 30, 2010, 03:53:18 PM »
Well my Girlfriend really wants a road bike. which is the exact opposite of me as I prefer a much more upright bicycle experience. :D

Her birthday is coming up and I'm trying to see what you guys would recommend. She has a basic commuter bike right now, but she'd like to be able to have this one for more of a workout/exercise bike if that makes sense. I'm guessing eventually she'd want to be able to put it on a trainer inside in the winter.

My main thing that i'm wondering about is her height... She's 5'2"

Any idea's of where to start?

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Re: Beginner Road Bike
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 04:28:03 PM »
1. Bike fitting is extremely complex. You could talk to 3 or 4 fitters and get totally different answers which would be compounded by the way different bicycle manufacturers measure their own frames.

Start by going to wrenchscience.com. Register, and goto their bike fit calculator. You may also want to try searching for the "Lemond fit system" or read this webpage: http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit

Also note that when they're referring to inseam and such, its not your pants inseam, but your seat inseam. You'll need to apply some pressure to your "sit bones" to get this accurately.

2. Once fit is determined, you need to come up with 2 things.
A. What is your budget?
B. What do you want to use the bike for?

Since she most likely is looking for fitness at this stage, you may be thinking... I can just get something that accomplishes that. I would caution against this because there's a good chance everything will become obsolete (think PC type of obsolete). My recommendations are multifaceted.

First, no matter what, buy the bicycle for the frame. Components, seats, tires, wheels, anything can be changed for relatively low cost. The frame cannot.

Of the frame materials that you'll be looking at:
Steel, Aluminum, Carbon.

Steel is often touted as "soft and forgiving", Aluminum is "very stiff" and Carbon is "very stiff, but absorbing and light". Sheldon Brown has a great article about why this isn't actually the case at all: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-materials.html

You can also find mixes (typically aluminum and carbon) so as to market the frame as stiff, light and comfortable. My recommendation might be to suggest an aluminum frame if for no other reason than...
With Carbon, if it gets banged around AT ALL, it has to be gone over with a fine toothed comb. It is EXTREMELY strong, but if it falls over, if it gets bashed into, etc. etc. etc. it can become structurally compromised. Similarly, aluminum if dented can become the same way (think standing on a pop can and tapping the side (watch ur fingers kids)). Steel frames are nice, but they rust and require more maintenance, as well as being a little more rare.

All of that said.

3. Component packages.
Generally, I used to advise my customers of a couple things. Many people would often look long and hard at the entry level bicycles, with components that are typically topping out at the Shimano Sora level (goto shimano, campagnolo, or srams website to see their hierarchy). If someone is getting into a road bike, especially for fitness, its important that they WANT to ride it. That comes with having a bicycle with mechanical components that actually work. Sora and less will work just fine, but they are less reliable overall, and may require more adjusting, and offer less crisp operation over time. NOTHING is more frustrating than riding along and shifting gears and hearing the chain grinding away as it struggles to shift.

I'd suggest something in the Shimano Tiagra or 105 level. This will also keep you out of the 8-speed bikes that are on the lower end (10 speed is the norm currently). These components will offer essentially similar internals to the high end stuff, without all the weight saving parts (similar functionality without the added cost of the carbon fiber and titanium bits etc.).

Also note that bicycle manufacturers will generally sell a bike with "scaled components" so for example, you may see a bike with a 105 rear derailleur but tiagra brifters (slang for brake and shift lever (since they're combined on road bikes)), and shimano 2200 brake sets. So be wary that seeing "Shimano 105" written somewhere on the bike doesn't mean that the entire component group is 105. You may want to search ebay for a full shimano 105 groupset or gruppo and see what they're going for... that may help you determine what a fair price for the bike you're looking at would be.

Many bicycles (even some at the 105 level) are sold without pedals. This is because many people already have a set of clipless pedals that they'll be putting on. But just keep that in mind.

Lastly, any good bicycle shop should do a fit for you right then and there. I'm not certain how they work this at SBS, but I doubt you'll be getting a fit like this at scheels. If the frame size fits, but the reach is a little weird, they should offer to swap out stems or handlebars to get the fit to be correct. THIS SHOULD NOT COST EXTRA, unless you're getting a part UPGRADE. Most of the local bike shops though have a relatively limited stock of parts for roadbikes and may have to order it, or not even offer this service, so I suppose you don't need to mark it as priority one.

One final note, if you're gf isn't riding with GOOD spandex bicycle shorts, get her some GOOD ones (maybe a jersey too). Road bike seats will NEVER be smooshy. Thats why we wear bike shorts. It may take her a little while (couple rides) to break in her sit bones, so she should expect soreness. After a little while of consistent riding, if the seat still isn't jiving with her, it's time to get her butt measured and get a new seat. AFAIK, they DO have the gel measurer at SBS.

If you have more questions or need more clarity, just post. If I'm not seeing them, PM me.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 04:29:59 PM »
I recommend talking to Andrew (Toaster) or Nathan (Rock Lobster?) at SBS. There are other knowledgable types abound, but I know for a FACT that they'll get you what you need without any BS. (Tell them who you are)

Haha... also... feel free to haggle for bikes anywhere in GFKs. If you're going to be buying a helmet, or shorts, or bottle cages and water bottles or a bunch of tubes for flat repairs, typically the shop will be making much more money (the markups are "normally" on the accessories, not the bike itself), so if you say are buying a road bike for $700, and another $200 worth of nonsense, ask if they'll take 10% off the whole order or whatnot. Usually you'll have to talk to a shop manager to do this though, so don't be surprised if the sales associates say no.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 04:33:17 PM by Guardrail »
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 07:07:58 PM »
Ah, ok. I'll check with Andrew or Nathan. I have my "project Commuter" aka learning about bicycles more project in the SBS now. After being told by you guys that finding a saddle that was comfortable was not simple sometimes. It took me 5 or so swaps but I found one my Back end likes so I can lose some weight now.

After that I found the Reach seemed to be off, and after riding my dads, trek navigator 400 I realized for the current way i'm comfortable A more upright ride was needed. so I just dropped my 820 off on Friday to get a stem extension on it for a slightly more upright ride...

After reading about the shifting options I kind of feel bad. If Andrew or Nathan are on here. My bikes is the orange/grey 820 that looks almost new. I've been having an issue with it shifting between the 6/7 gears. If thats in relation to my hardware being the basic entry level one, just give me a call and let me know. I'm all about learning what will do the job OK, and what will do the job correctly. If i have to save some money for an upgrade I'm all for it. (I still kind of think I should have bought a different bike that fit the need some more. But i had the 820 already and after some talk on here, I concluded I might as well spend some money and learn more about the bike before I just swap to something else that wont' be what I want)

I'll most likely be stopping by next week to get some more info on road bikes. :D

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything