Author Topic: 2010 Psychocross!  (Read 25513 times)

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
2010 Psychocross!
« on: October 06, 2010, 12:33:19 AM »
If you are looking for the event announcement thread, go here.

This is the planning thread.

Spelling of the name is TBD.

I think if this is "actually going to happen" whichit is or GTFO :colbert: we need to start our advertisements for it ASAP.

I'd really like to know the details of what all was planned after I left on account of the fact that I spoke with Ted, Yost, Beek and myself (no caps) and no one knew the dates and/or how many races there were going to be.

We need to work out the entrance fees (which should be comparable to what a USAC race would cost (maybe?) so that people aren't feeling gouged WHEN it becomes USAC. Are we going to offer discounts for the series entry, are we going to offer a series purse, are we going to offer individual prizes?

In my head the way it would make the most sense to me is:
1. Host a series and offer a discount. So it should be (relatively) very expensive to do individual races, but very cheap to do the series. Example: 3 total races. Entry for an INDIVIDUAL race is $17 but if you enter the series you get $30 and a shot at the series purse.

Reasons: That way, people will be more inclined to register for all the races and we won't lose money if the weather blows. Also, we're enticing people to come out and do all the races. Having an individual entry fee that is more than half of the series fee (for 3 races) means in people's heads they'll say "well I can pay $30 now, or save $13... but if I like it and want to race again next week, then It's going to cost me $34 and I still won't be in on the purse unless I throw down another $17 for the third race" if that makes sense. Essentially, make it look like the wise choice is to pre register for all 3 races.

2. Have a series purse. The only individual prizes would be schwag (if we can get any). Maybe a very small purse? But it'd have to be VERY small as I'd LOVE to see some DEEP cash prizes for the series podiums.

3. What categories? Like beginner 1 lap, Advanced 3 laps? Beek and I (or any of the UNDCC high up guys) know the crowd pretty well and we could easily sort out if someone is sandbagging. If people come from out of town though, it gets harder.

Hmm... those are my immediate thoughts.

I think we need to get a flier and start advertising for this IMMEDIATELY. That way we can get the most coverage for it?

Someone should be working the angle about how fucking AWESOME it is to watch cross races too. In planning, we'll want the obstacles and such to be near the "crowd" so as to maximize how much people see the actual racing.

Also Tires.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 11:22:16 AM by Sal Atticum »
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Plantains

Re: 2010 Psychocross!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 12:36:02 AM »
Also... those are just my ideas. Nothing I'm saying should be taken as me saying YES THIS IS HOW ITS GOING TO BE. I'd love some constructive criticism.

Ted and I spoke this evening and are planning on going out to scope some places for a course. We've planned for friday which is I'm assuming a fun ride day. Anyone can come, but we may move stuff around to accommodate the fun ride and psychocross planning.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 08:59:49 AM »
I'm emailing Kim G. right now to talk about Greenway possibilities.

Gyudon had a great idea last night after the meeting of contacting food vendors who might want to show up.  This is one thing I didn't ask about down at the Red River Bicycle Festival, but they had the Lion's Club all set up grilling hotdogs and other sorts of foodiness.  I assume that since they (I think it's them) set up at the farmer's market all summer, maybe they'll be open to coming out and fooding people at cx races in the late fall.  In any case, this falls under "event sponsorship" which needs to be worked out, optimally before the flyers are finalized.

One other thing we talked about last night was following the USAC rulebook even if we don't run a USAC race.  This keeps everything smooth, we're following a published set of rules, and Ted can't build barriers that are higher than 40 cm (not that I don't think haybale runups would be awesome).

Also, I looked at the MN schedule (ND and SD have nothing going on at all).  The only CX races currently scheduled are the Blaine race (the 6th), the U of M race (the 7th) and the MN State CX Championships.  We'll lose some people because it's Halloween, but we could get a decent Fargo crowd because we're the (cough) only race in town.  For the new guys who don't know how to figure this stuff out: http://www.usacycling.org/events/index.php

If someone wants to work on a brief cover letter stating what we're planning and how we would appreciate donated items for prizes (I think series and individual prizes are good DC), try to get it up today.  I'll be working on the "thank you" things for current sponsors.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 11:03:39 AM »
I still need to know the dates at the very least.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 01:45:49 PM »
Got a reply from Kim G.  No mention of insurance, but we do need to submit a special events form (attached).  We will need to include a map of the course and know if we are going to have food vendors.  This form needs to be submitted no later than 15 days before the event, so it is due October 15th with all pertinent information if we are going to hold races on the Greenway or parks.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 03:28:12 PM »
That all said then, I suggest that we (you, me, Ted at least) and anyone else go course hunting on Friday for the "fun ride extension"

If people are available earlier, I can be ready to go at about 3/310 we can go course hunting and then meet up with the fun riders and go grab some eats and get many (if not all) of these details hammered right the heck out.

If not, I can go pretty much anytime on friday except from 2-3.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 09:38:18 PM »
I will not be able to attend the fun ride as I will be attending the Leonard Award banquet for the Department of Geology and Geological Engineering.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 10:02:09 PM »
I will not be able to attend the fun ride as I will be attending the Leonard Award banquet for the Department of Geology and Geological Engineering.

Does this mean ted isn't going to be able to make it either?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 10:24:45 PM »
I've no idea what Ted is doing.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 11:02:59 PM »
Right... but one would assume that this is somehow included in his agenda?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 11:33:01 PM »
It's possible; a lot of people don't like to go to this banquet for one reason or another.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 11:42:10 PM »
Go to sleep.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 11:14:54 AM »
I can go earlier tomorrow if that helps.  Before your class perhaps.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 12:05:30 PM »
I have flying stuff booked at noon.

It won't be a pressing issue, I was just thinking of convenient ways to get it done efficiently. It has to be done by this weekend though.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 01:20:54 PM »
Well I can definitely do it this weekend sometime.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 04:52:36 PM »
Looks good. Only suggestion is maybe mention that there are series races? Or we could just mention that at registration.

Maybe put cash prizes tho coz cash is king.

Offline Lauren

• UND
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 04:44:56 PM »
The flier looks great!! If that is the one you guys want to use, I was wondering if y'all don't mind if I print some out and put them around campus or a few spots downtown?

Offline Plantains

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 05:11:08 PM »
Lauren... You should absolutely post this flier up anywhere you'd like.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 09:45:16 PM »
Lauren, be advised that there will likely be an updated flier coming out shortly.

It may be worth your while to just remember where you put them up so we can go put more up.

A course and many if not all of the finite details were hammered out this evening in a preliminary fashion.

Expect this to be epic.

Offline Lauren

• UND
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 07:53:52 AM »
Ya np Ill just wait till you guys have a finalized version. I was just going to carry them around in my backpack when I went around this week, so I'll just wait till yall hammer out the details etc :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic