Author Topic: My Column in Tuesday's DS  (Read 4141 times)

Offline RhiannonC

• UND
My Column in Tuesday's DS
« on: October 25, 2006, 02:28:42 PM »
Apparently this is the only forum I have for talking about my piece. Wish I could post on the DS website but I'm not allowed. So anyway, I?m writing this because I'd like to defend my article a little bit.
First, the way people are approaching this is a little absurd. Really, is it absolutely necessary to message my Facebook account to tell me that I?m stupid and ugly? I?m really quite pleased and impressed that people have gotten so up in arms about this and think that these energies could be really revolutionary. It?s sad, however, that what everyone is so upset about is something as ridiculous and unimportant as sweatpants. Chris England and Clayton Kraby write excellent pieces on politics and no one really gives a hoot about what they have to say. And I?m sure there?s got to be someone out there who doesn?t agree, but I call sweatpants trashy and get ripped a new one on the DS website and have 5 letters sent to the office addressing my article? Come on, how shallow can you be?
The column I wrote was an opinion piece. It was my own personal opinion and it was in no way meant to be used as a guideline for your own life but perhaps a little reminder that you are indeed a beautiful young woman and you should act like it. If you disagree with me, that?s absolutely okay and dandy, and you wear those sweatpants for the rest of your lovely life, okay?
Second, so many people have taken what I wrote out of context. I am not saying that the women on this campus should be required to wake up every day and beautify themselves as if they were going to prom. My piece was about taking a little pride in your personal appearance. Honestly, why wouldn?t you want to look good? And looking good isn?t about attracting a boyfriend/girlfriend or impressing people, it?s about self-confidence and feeling good about yourself. I know that when I spend a little time in the morning to find something cute to wear I feel stellar for the rest of the day.
Also I wrote about how clothing is personal and how each person?s individual style can?t really be deciphered through UND sweatshirts. I want to see punk rock girls in stripes and bondage pants and preppy girls in khakis and cardigans and art majors in paint covered corduroys. I think personal style is so important and so interesting but it doesn?t shine through when it comes to gym clothes. You all look like lazy clones, how fun is that?
I agree that college is mainly about learning and education and expanding one?s horizons but many of those who disagree with me fail to see that college is also very much about networking and creating alliances. You wear your jamjams to class every day for a semester then come to that professor for a reference of some sort and he?s going to think twice. Maybe you did well in the class but you couldn?t even bother to dress like an adult for his class, what?s that going to say to him?
Third, I?ve noticed that there are no women on campus who agree with me and dozens of guys who do, which, I?ll admit, creeps me out a little. Maybe they have missed my point, so I will reiterate it now: My piece wasn?t about girls getting tarted it up to look good for you, it was about taking some pride in themselves and having enough self-respect to wake up and put on actual clothes.
And that?s not to say that a lot of fellows around campus aren?t guilty of the same thing. However, scan the campus and you might notice that the men tend to look a little better than the ladies. Maybe that?s because all a guy has to do is pull on jeans and a polo to look nice, but really, that?s all I?m asking from the girls. Jeans, a polo, sneakers and a pony tail and bam! You actually look like a functioning adult member of society, congratulations! No smoky eyes, no low rise jeans, no thong or lacey bra, no tight tube top, not even a skirt. Just regular, casual clothes that can be found in closets across campus.
Anyway, it seems that how guys dress is a whole ?nother animal and I didn?t want to piss off both sexes in one article. Kidding. But it didn?t seem necessary to include them into my piece as it was specifically targeting the gals on campus. Plus I can only write so much for one article. We?ll talk about the guys in another issue, okay? I really didn?t want to pit the sexes against each other for this one, I just wanted to motivate the girls to maybe give a shit every once in a while. Next time we?ll motivate some boys.
So there it is. I am officially done talking about it. That?s all I have to say and any comments or other opinions are more than welcome but I have a life to get back to and some Levi?s to wash so I really can?t keep responding politely to stupid messages on Facebook. To all who read, thanks a lot, I?m really flattered and I hope you?ll continue to read my articles and columns in the future.
Love always (yeah, that?s a little condescending?),
Rhiannon Conley

Offline jevart

• UND
Re: My Column in Tuesday's DS
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 05:05:03 PM »
Thank you Rhiannon. Many of you probably have already seen my comments on your article on the DS website, so I don't need to reassert my stance.

I was shocked and amazed to see so many girls up in arms and offended by your article. Girls, it's not about pleasing and impressing other men or wearing low-rise boot cut jeans. It's about maintaining a good appearance and putting your share of class in where class is due. Why would anyone NOT want to make a good first impression?

No matter how much you don't care what other people think about you, you make your slobiness, laziness, and lack of pride for personal appearance very apparent.

Offline jbaker

• UND
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 05:28:24 PM »
its also about simple appropriateness of dress for a situation.

you would not wear sweat pants to a job interview

you would not wear a prom dress to go work out

you would not wear a swimsuit in cold weather

all of these are absurdities

why do people somehow defend that it is okay to wear inappropriate clothing to school?

Offline Red

• UND
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 07:18:04 PM »
Third, I?ve noticed that there are no women on campus who agree with me

Well my girlfriend agreed with your article, so at least not EVERY girl is against you.  Good piece this week.  :thumbsup:
100 percent of everything is attitude

Offline talksalot83

• UND
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 08:20:10 PM »
It's amazing. I walked into the resident hall tonight and some girls asked me if I was wearing sweats tomorrow in protest. I said, "Uhh... no." And they asked "Why not?" I told them that there are hundreds of other issues going on around campus that are much more important than the opinion of a columnist. I wear sweats on occasion and I'm not getting all up in arms about this one column. It didn't offend me at all.  :D

Offline Red

• UND
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 09:08:54 PM »
wearing sweats tomorrow in protest

And this is different then any other day...how exactly?  Dorm girls are the largest participators in the sweat suit lifestyle.
100 percent of everything is attitude

Offline jevart

• UND
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 12:59:45 AM »
Have you joined the Sweatpants Police yet? :D

Offline hellonewman

• UND
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 10:34:30 AM »
The best political writing is the kind that makes people THINK a little bit about themselves......Great Article!  Dont be ashamed at all.......I dont personally care what anyone wears to class......come naked for all I care. But it obviously struck a nerve with alot of girls (presumably the ones who wake up at 8:45 for 9:00 classes) and if it makes people think, that's what makes a good writer.....

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic