Author Topic: Does this bother you?  (Read 4318 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Does this bother you?
« on: April 03, 2007, 12:13:09 AM »
Janitors, female gangsters and pregnant women.

These were some of the costumes worn by students, including student-athletes, portraying Latino stereotypes at an off-campus birthday party on Jan. 29.

Photographs from the "south of the border" party were discovered by a member of the Multicultural Center, who then passed them on to Bernice Aguas, director of the MCC. They had been posted on Facebook, a social networking site that is popular among Santa Clara students.

Aguas said she was shocked when she saw the photos.

"I was speechless. I didn't even know what to think, feel or say," she said.

Among the students at the party were at least five members of the women's volleyball team, at least one member of the men's basketball team and at least one member of the men's golf team, according to pictures from the party. The party's host, also an athlete, is half-Mexican.
http://media.www.thesantaclara.com/media/storage/paper946/news/2007/02/15/News/Theme.Party.Provokes.Outrage-2722134.shtml

Who sees a problem with this?  I really don't.  I mean, seriously, they had a costume party with a theme.  O MY GOD!!!!! THEY WANT TO MAKE ALL MEXICANS BE THEIR SLAVES!!!!111!!!one

Are you going to stop college students from having fun?  No.  Was this party fun because it was about immigrants?  Heck yes.  Did they know they were being 'racist'?  I'm pretty sure of it--but who did they harm here?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Anon

Re: Does this bother you?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 07:26:59 AM »
I agree with you - Stereotypes are just that - part truth part humor(exaggeration).  Problem is, people have learned to stop laughing and use PC as a means to seem more cultured and refined.

Again, let me fess up a definition:
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Really, every race and culture has stereotypes - OMFG - what if they dressed up like nerds???  Honestly, something needs to change with this society.

Offline zman

• NDSU
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 07:33:48 PM »
boo

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 07:44:23 PM »
'Boo' as in 'Boo, I'm a ghost!', or as in 'Boo, I don't like this idea'  ?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline zman

• NDSU
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 03:23:20 PM »
'Boo' as in 'Boo, I'm a ghost!', or as in 'Boo, I don't like this idea'  ?

;) Boo as in I dont like the idea!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic