Author Topic: question on how awkward this would be  (Read 6010 times)

Offline Meest

• UND
question on how awkward this would be
« on: August 17, 2009, 11:42:43 AM »
Now I'm not one to take a piece of junk in some place and expect them to fix it up to hella cheap. so bear with me.

The girlfriend found an old sears brand cruiser, with basket and wheel fenders and an internal 3 speed shifter for the rear wheel.

She really likes it, and wants to be able to ride it... but the shifter needs some work, and it needs some new brake lines ran along with new tubes and tread.

If I brought it into ski and bike would i get a questionable look? I could do some of the work myself, but I just don't have the time, and frankly I'm not that great at it.

I'm willing to pay for whatever needs to get done. Does this happen fairly often? Maybe i'm having a fear of being bike rejected? :P

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
Re: question on how awkward this would be
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 01:43:38 PM »
I don't think it would be awkward. They might ask where you got this old school bike from, but i think they will still do it. You just have to talk to right person at SB.
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 02:45:46 PM »
It wouldn't be awkward at all. Bike shops appreciate stuff like that.

2 suggestions though.

1. Most Sears bikes aren't worth the money people think they are and are/were their equivalent of Wal-Mart bikes. SOmething to ride... sure, but you can poach something that would prolly work as opposed to spending the $50+ that its gonna cost to re-cable. Not to mention its 3-speed internal which can have gremlins.

2. Mario has a 3-speed that I'm pretty sure they were planning on just getting rid of. In fact, I know which bike rack its at... Bike works nearly perfectly and may just need a few bolts tightened.

3. (I lied) One think shoppies hate is dirty bikes. Clean it up before you bring it in.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 03:08:48 PM »

2. ... I know which bike rack its at...

Hmmm...What's that suppose to mean, Dave  :mob:
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 11:14:53 AM »
Meest has another question here about getting a saddle that will fit him: http://talk.campusdakota.com/index.php?topic=4489.msg15918#msg15918

I don't know the answer.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 01:19:17 AM »
Yea, by looking at bike option's on Trek.com it looks like I might just need to look into a completely new bike, as I have the completely wrong style, and the wrong tool for the job no matter how you modify it will still be the wrong tool. I have a Trek 820. and I'm looking for something for in town commuting along with casual bike rides... I might look into getting a Trek 7000 series or a 7.1 as they seem to be more geared toward what I want to use it for... Maybe I'll have to hit up the end of the season sales to see if there's any good deals to be had on something like that.

I really used to love biking. I had a little harro Dave Mirra 540 air (I still have one, but a different one) that i would ride all over everywhere. Broke so many pedals on that thing. I want to get back into it again, But if I have to buy a new bike it may take a while to build up some $$ to make the correct purchase.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 01:21:03 AM by Meest »

Offline Plantains

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 11:39:33 AM »
Trek 820 would make a perfect commuter? Just put some slicks on it.

If it makes you feel any better my buddy ty still uses his trek 820 for racing. Granted... we did lots of work to it. But its running the original wheelset and deraillers etc.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 11:40:45 AM by Guardrail »
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Toaster

• UND
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 12:32:24 PM »
This may be inspiration for you to keep that MTB

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/mountain-biker-wins-road-race-on-his-hardtail-22736

P.S. My only MTB that I ride/race/crash into stuff is an old trek 800 that I converted to single speed
Just try and step to UND Cycling if you wanna test your luck.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 12:38:21 PM »
I raced MTB on my 850 hardnose last year.

In any case, yeah, you may not need a "commuter" bike unless you want an upright posture and fenders you don't have to install yourself.

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 12:47:13 PM »
Well thats comforting.... I think I may look into getting a different saddle and get some more apropriate tread on the tires for in town. I would love to convert it to a hardnose also. I miss the feedback from the road that i was used to as a kid.

I had originally bought an 820 from the police auction up here for 50 bucks. the Frame was way to huge for me, ended up trading it into scheel's for 75 bucks (I made 25 bucks!) and got the correct size frame for me. I think I'll look at getting the saddle changed, and I might look at getting some handle bars that are slightly raised.

Thats a sweet article Toaster!! Nice name too, You may see me around town in the Scion xB with the license plate of "Toast"

Offline Plantains

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 01:24:49 PM »
I've seen that toastmobile.

If you're trek has a threaded stem, You may be able to raise it another cm or so just with loosening one bolt.

Go here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html#threaded

to learn specifically about stems (threaded) and see if thats what you have. And sheldon brown (RIP) has everything about bikes EVER on his site. Except retro-direct stuff. ;-)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 01:38:05 PM »
You need to bring the retro-direct to the involvement expo.

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 01:40:38 PM »
So, I found a better saddle that fits me great! Not feeling numb down there at all anymore. Its comfortable to ride on also.

But now sitting on the bike I feel as if I should have the handlebars up and inch or so.... I checked and I have a threadless Stem. So it looks like I might be getting an adjustable one. (I'd rather get adjustable than fixed so I have the option to change it if my fitting changes.

I went and talked to toaster and he gave me an idea of what I can do for that... Now its just getting it into SBS to see what will work out for me.

Thanks guys!

Offline Plantains

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 02:32:17 PM »
Meest. Post a pic of your cockpit. You can probably just flip your stem. Also what seat did you go with and why did it change your saddle height that much?

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 10:55:32 PM »
Well the handle bars have always felt to low for me. I just went with a wider Bell seat for my fat rear end so I get out on it more. Went for a 2 mile tonight and it was great. Arms are just numb now after a bit...

Its a trek 820 from 2006. orange and grey. like this one

What do you want me to take a picture of? just the Top of the stem? Should i take the top bolt that has the cover off? and take a pic?

Offline Plantains

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 11:19:12 PM »
No... u see in that photo how the stem is oriented? Its angled up right? Stems are reversible so realistically on this bike you could remove the stem topcap and loosen the two bolts on the stem along the steerer tube and flip it to make it a more aggressive position. (I realize thats not what you want but now you know what Im talking about)

Since the bike is more cruise than bruise (as I say) (more lax than race) the stem is probably already like it is in this picture and thus u have no option besides buying new stuffs.

Frankly, if the stem is that high up you're very near the limit of what most adjustable stems will allow in a positive angle, tho there are some extreme stems out there. You may want to consider swapping your bars out for risers like these:

They're available to a varying degree of riserness.

Yost knows his stuff though and he won't steer you wrong (no pun intended).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:19:44 PM by Guardrail »

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 01:27:06 PM »
yea i was thinking if the riser wasn't a possibility it would go to the handlebars... but you know how anoying it is to move everything to new bars :D I was trying to go lazy.

Thanks for the info!

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 10:29:27 AM »
So, i'm going to be revisiting this now that its getting nice out. Who's still at SBS that I can see about this? Toaster was that you I talked to back in september and then I didn't follow through? :P

I need to get the handle bars raised and I think I was going to go with a variable one so that if I wanted to lower it again I could fairly simply... If i remember right it just cost more correct?? I probably should just shut up and bring it in right?? :D

Here's to getting back into cycling!

Offline Plantains

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 01:32:13 PM »
Yeah... toasters ur man.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything