Author Topic: BMX as a gateway drug?  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
BMX as a gateway drug?
« on: December 28, 2009, 08:49:41 PM »
Considering how many kids ride BMX in Grand Forks and other "urban" places, it might work out.  It might even give Yost a chance to break out his mad skills to draw some people in.

I don't know how BMX people on campus are interested in anything as a "group," but most people won't turn down a chance to show off to an appreciative audience.

My two cents.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Meest

• UND
Re: BMX as a gateway drug?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 01:02:03 PM »
I'm not gonna lie. I really enjoy the feel of my little 20" Harro over my Trek... I don't know what it is about it. I know I look like a clown on my bike, but its just a feeling thing. My Trek 820 is better for longer travels, but the Harro is just so much fun.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 09:46:05 AM »
The other reason to pursue this now is that USAC is apparently thinking about adding a collegiate category to the BMX National Championships (March 20 this year).  I have no idea if they are going to start hosting conference BMX races, or if you would attend regular BMX races as a collegiate rider in order to qualify.

I actually can't even find out what events are offered for BMX.  Is it all racing?  All I can dig up is info about the junior program.

There's no place around that's indoors to do this sort of thing is there?

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 07:40:33 PM »
Should be trials, short track, and dirt jumping if I'm not mistaken. BMX is pretty much dead as a sport because anyone that was good at it has let skateboarding or downhill get in the way.

New BMX dirt jumping bikes are 24" now which is the bike industry effectively saying... we're sick of you guys, here's some old crap. Buy it.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 01:20:40 PM »
Okay, so in terms of non-sport BMX--what's the deal?  I see high school kids riding BMX all the time in Grand Forks, and we see UND students riding BMX a fair amount through the quad or in front of the Hyslop.  Why not try to get them involved and/or see if there is anything they would be interested in doing (eventwise or facilitieswise)?

I'm trying to broaden the club base.  People are graduating quickly.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 01:22:45 PM »
I'm not gonna lie. I really enjoy the feel of my little 20" Harro over my Trek... I don't know what it is about it. I know I look like a clown on my bike, but its just a feeling thing. My Trek 820 is better for longer travels, but the Harro is just so much fun.

What do you use it for, jumping or cruising around or what?  I've never had to opportunity to mess around with a bmx bike.

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 01:50:38 PM »
Most BMXers got into it or ride it because they're "the trendy bike" like back in my day (my early day) the bike to have was a "10-speed" if you had a speedometer you we're a badass.

People riding may not generally be interested in riding the bicycles so much as owning them. I agree with you however... and next time we see some bixxers rollin around, perhaps we should say what's up... just not while wearing spandex. Otherwise... we should just go chill at the skate parks and see whats up.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic