Author Topic: Race idea  (Read 2035 times)

Offline curlingDave

• UND
Race idea
« on: May 16, 2010, 02:41:57 PM »
I think it would be neat to have a short-lap road race on the narrow twists and turns of the Greenway, a la Bikecicle.  In my mind, it would feel like a road race/crit hybrid.  However, making it safe would be very challenging.  I don't think the system we used for Bikecicle would be sufficient, and I don't think there's a snowball's chance that the police would close off any intersections.  So, logistically, it's probably a pipe dream. :-\    It's fun to think about anyway, though... ;D
Life is complex.  It has a real part and an imaginary part.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Race idea
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 09:12:20 PM »
Watch out, Dave's got the race bug!

Actually, we've been hoping for years that they would repave the loop road at Lincoln Drive Park so we could have a crit there.  With that not likely as far as I know, your proposal would be the next best thing.

The only possible circuit course (meaning longer than the Lincoln Drive Park loop or the Riverside Park loop) to my knowledge would be from south pedestrian bridge to north pedestrian bridge (@ 10 miles per lap).  This would technically NOT require any road crossings if we stayed on the Greenway BUT would need to be heavily volunteered in order to prevent death and dismemberment.

You shouldn't dismiss it as a pipe dream.  The time may be ripe for support from the city for this sort of thing, but we'd have to have a lot of volunteers and a lot of press so non-riders don't get killed.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline curlingDave

• UND
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 10:19:59 PM »
Hmmm, yah.  Don't want any little kids getting killed or anything like that.  Speaking of that, I was out on the Greenway today.  There was a couple trying to take their 4 little kids for a Sunday stroll on their kiddie bikes, razor scooters, etc, working hard to keep them all organized and going in the right direction.  I slowed down to a crawl, made sure all the kids saw me and the parents had enough time to corral them, and I gave a smile and hello to all the kids.  About 10 seconds later, some Superman road biker streaks past them at 20 mph, from behind, with no warning.  Probably scared the parents half to death.  I should've chased him down and decked him.  Anyway...that's my rant for today.
Life is complex.  It has a real part and an imaginary part.

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 05:05:43 PM »
This is sadly why there is a great need for more cycling awareness. "Bike paths" are really not for cycling (In NY they impose a 15mph speed limit). I guess though, as long as the people wearing the UND kits are doing the right thing... its a step in the right direction?
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic