Author Topic: Banning Tobacco On-Campus  (Read 45653 times)

Offline JakeJZG

• SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    • tl;dr
Re: Banning Tobacco On-Campus
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2007, 03:20:12 PM »
Why?

Is it ok for them to do that purposedly?

It's as nice as spitting gum in their hair.  You are supposed to be the bigger person@! :)
Use Windows?  Want to know a better way?
Come join the East Dakota Linux Users Group!
http://talk.campusdakota.com/index.php?board=111.0
http://www.tldr.de/~edlug/

Offline ajekt

• NDSU
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2007, 12:07:59 PM »
I am the bigger person, it is an expression of how I feel.
N-D-S-U ... Goooooo Bison!

Offline Red

• UND
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 02:21:23 AM »
I'm just pleased that there is finally a rule at this university that is harder on the faculty than the students.  And I can not wait to raise hell about every faculty member I catch smoking.
100 percent of everything is attitude

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2007, 03:25:47 AM »
I'm just pleased that there is finally a rule at this university that is harder on the faculty than the students.  And I can not wait to raise hell about every faculty member I catch smoking.

Have fun ;)
CampusDakota.com

Offline JakeJZG

• SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    • tl;dr
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2007, 03:51:01 AM »

Have fun ;)

Yeesh - I try to make friends with faculty.  I must be going about it all wrong!

Offline Kristine

• Valley City
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2007, 12:04:26 PM »
The smoking ban at VCSU will be in effect starting January 1, 2008...like every other school I think we're just hoping removal of the disposal containers and some random sign posting will be enough "enforcement" :-\   --- We'll see how that goes...

Offline JakeJZG

• SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    • tl;dr
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2007, 01:00:32 PM »
The smoking ban at VCSU will be in effect starting January 1, 2008...like every other school I think we're just hoping removal of the disposal containers and some random sign posting will be enough "enforcement" :-\   --- We'll see how that goes...

I'll bet the janitorial staff will appreciate the cigarette butts on the ground.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2007, 05:21:34 PM »

I'll bet the janitorial staff will appreciate the cigarette butts on the ground.

Humm.  It will add to all of those already there  ;)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 10:58:10 PM by pmp6nl »
CampusDakota.com

Offline JakeJZG

• SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    • tl;dr
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 05:30:05 PM »

Humm.  It will add to all of those already there  ;)
[/quote]

The word additional should have been in my post!

Offline Red

• UND
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2007, 11:59:28 PM »

Yeesh - I try to make friends with faculty.  I must be going about it all wrong!

That has yet to work for me.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2007, 08:37:33 AM »

I like to think I can be treated as a colleague by faculty, but that would fall through in any case if they decided they had to quit work every half hour to go light up.

Has anyone else heard about the "smoke in" they're having in protest when the ban kicks in?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline JakeJZG

• SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    • tl;dr
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2007, 08:42:57 AM »

I haven't, but I might smoke a cigar if I knew where it was!  I want to piss people off.

I like to think I can be treated as a colleague by faculty, but that would fall through in any case if they decided they had to quit work every half hour to go light up.

Has anyone else heard about the "smoke in" they're having in protest when the ban kicks in?

Offline tetsujin

• High Chancellor of Nerd
    • Tetsujin's Blog
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2007, 10:12:40 AM »
Heh, I still think it is funny that they are basing our whole smoking ban on hope.

And if they have a smoke in I would bring a fire extinguisher and spray them and say, "I was told where there is smoke there is fire!" and run away.

Cameron

Offline Red

• UND
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2007, 11:53:07 AM »

Where did you hear about this smoke in?  I would be interested in finding out more.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2007, 12:05:42 PM »
I heard about it on Facebook.  The link is http://nodak.facebook.com/event.php?eid=4792008733
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2007, 01:50:56 PM »
And if they have a smoke in I would bring a fire extinguisher and spray them and say, "I was told where there is smoke there is fire!" and run away.

haha  ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 10:58:57 PM by pmp6nl »
CampusDakota.com

Offline Red

• UND
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2007, 03:01:07 PM »
Aside from the littering aspect, I think this smoking ban is nonsense.  If UND cared about health it wouldn’t force feed deep fried potatoes stuffed with cheese to every dorm student with a mandatory meal plan.  And they wouldn’t serve pasta drowning in Alfredo and nachos at 1030 at night.  But the arguments by this Facebook group are just so weak, it really makes me sad.

Join us in our battle against the unfair policies being imposed upon us by the University of North Dakota! Smokers have rights too.

Smoking is not a right, not in a restaurant in Grand Forks, soon not to be in a bar in Minnesota, and no longer here at UND.  Just as it is not a right to drink alcohol in the dorms or hold demonstrations during getting started week, smoking on campus is not protected.

Compromises such as not smoking withing 20 feet of a doorway are acceptable, but the complete ban of smoking on campus is excessive and we need to make our opinions known!

If it was so acceptable then why did you continue to violate the University’s polices?  Every building on campus has a posted sign on the window that says no smoking within 20 feet of a building entrance and yet you people are stacked up in front of Gamble on all sides, the faculty are constantly huddled right next to the back door of Twamley, and you cant drive by a dorm without masses of smokers blocking the entrances in a big smoke circle.  Face it.  UND tried to get you away from the buildings and out of everyone’s faces but you scoffed at them.  You proved the reasonable policy ineffective, so now the next “acceptable” step is to ban smoking.

Friday October 5, 2007 we shall gather outside of the Memorial Union and breathe deeply the sweet taste of freedom! JOIN US!

And surely break the 20 foot rule.  You will stand there and subject others to your smoking, while claiming you don’t, and you will break the law by tossing your disgusting buts on the ground to display what truly revolting slobs you people really are.  I hope that not only are you cited for smoking, but fined for littering as well.  You people turn the world into your dumpster simply because you are to lazy to throw your cigarettes away when you are done with them and its high time it came back to bite you in the ass. 

So have fun with your protest, exercise your freedom now when you can change nothing, instead of protesting at the senate meeting that gave student body approval to the ban.  Stand outside of the Union and prove to the administrators what a great idea this really is.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2007, 03:09:52 PM »
Well I suppose they have poor arguments because thats all there is.  There really arent any great arguments against the ban are there?  All they flaunt about are their rights.  Well my rights are that I dont have to breathe smoke and get cancer.

..Also, I am almost positive that state and federal laws prohibit smoking within so many feet of federal and state buildings ... IE: almost all buildings on campus.
CampusDakota.com

Offline JakeJZG

• SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    • tl;dr
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2007, 09:20:52 AM »
Well I suppose they have poor arguments because thats all there is.  There really arent any great arguments against the ban are there?  All they flaunt about are their rights.  Well my rights are that I dont have to breathe smoke and get cancer.

..Also, I am almost positive that state and federal laws prohibit smoking within so many feet of federal and state buildings ... IE: almost all buildings on campus.

While it may be within their power to limit smoking on public property, I don't see where the government derives the right to dictate such terms to private businesses. 

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2007, 11:01:40 PM »

While it may be within their power to limit smoking on public property, I don't see where the government derives the right to dictate such terms to private businesses. 

Well I guess they relate it to how smoking has a negative effect on health which can lead higher costs (health etc.) for the nation as a whole?

...Are you saying the university is a private business (I was just following the general conversation about the bans at campuses)
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything