Author Topic: Would God park illegally if it meant he/she didn't have to walk far to church?  (Read 6622 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
I mean no disrespect when I ask this, but there is a deeper meaning here.  When I came upon a church while riding around this morning, I saw at least three cars parked along the "No Parking This Side of Street" side of the street (across the corner from the church), and the question occurred to me.  Are these people following God?  Are they considering what is right?  Would God allow them this transgression against an earthly government (and common courtesy) if they did it so they could get to church on time (or just because they didn't have to walk as far)?

I'm no theologian so I'm not trying to argue anything here, but the inconsistency here was striking to me.

Discuss.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
That is a very good point.  It would be cool if, if someone sees someone doing this they ask them this question (haha did that make sense?).  I would personally not park in said area, mainly for fear of a ticket, but also because we have rules for a reason.

One would think that they would follow these rules, than again perhaps they have the assumption that they should only follow the direct "laws" of God?  Perhaps I could ask some of my more religious friends.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
I don't know whether it's even directly related to the religion aspect--it could be a case of "well, everyone else is doing it, so I will too."  I would hazard a guess that the majority of them would be appalled to receive a parking ticket on a Sunday morning, however.

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Did they have handicapped tags? If they did, this may be legal in ND. Also clergy plates ur allowed to park anywhere.

Ask Chase about his occurrence with an elderly lady last night. She called him names.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
I don't think they had handicapped tags, and I'm pretty sure they weren't all clergy.

I called some people names this morning, but not because of where they were parked.

Offline Plantains

• UND
I think you have to be higher than priest or whatever to get clergy plates anyways.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
I've never seen clergy plates.

Offline Plantains

• UND
They're DD plates (Doctor of Divinity) and apparently NYS doesn't issue them anymore, they issue a clergy permit instead. Other states still issue them... DC does for certain I know. Our (NYS) taxes have to go to something don't they?  ::)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 04:55:28 PM by Guardrail »

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Speaking along the lines of everyone else is doing it... I cant stand the way people are parking on campus right now.  They are parking on the streets where there are tons of no parking signs.  I suppose they figure if someone else did it they can do.  The worst part is they are not ticketing them at night, its causing traffic issues.  grrr

Wow, I have never heard of those plate/permits before... crazy.  Why is it that they need special plates?
CampusDakota.com

Offline Plantains

• UND
1. I think it has something to do with tax purposes or non-profit purposes... like the gov doesn't charge them for those plates or something?
2. Then you can have clergy parking only and they won't have to walk 2 million blocks to get to church on time?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
1.  Other non-profits have to pay for plates, don't they?
2.  Wouldn't some sort of sticker work a lot easier?

Offline Plantains

• UND
No I think if a non-profit owns a vehicle they get tax breaks on registration and such.

NY now uses a sticker due to its easiness? And possibly bankruptness.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
I just meant stickers if you need to know if someone can park there or not.  NY doesn't even have to get involved.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
I think its only if the non-profit owns the vehicle... not for everyone that gets special plates like that.

I will have to start looking to see if I see any of those parking spots around.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Plantains

• UND
yeah thats what i meant... only if they own the vehicle (the non profit)

Beek... I only speak in terms of NY cuz thats what I know.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic