Author Topic: Tuition going up again; criticism of NDSA  (Read 4366 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Tuition going up again; criticism of NDSA
« on: January 31, 2009, 09:56:14 AM »
IN THE MAIL: Students need tuition help now
Johnathan McClure, Grand Forks
Published Saturday, January 31, 2009
GRAND FORKS — Make no mistake, North Dakota’s college and university students are begging for tuition relief. That doubling of tuition since State Sen. Mac Schneider, D-Grand Forks, graduated? I’m living it. I’ve got more than $20,000 in loans with a year left to go — and UND is set for yet another double-digit increase if nothing is done.

Much has been made about the North Dakota Student Association not taking a stand on the question. Well, the NDSA has been a great vehicle for many young politicians to make a name for themselves, but its track record on actual student issues is spotty at best.

It doesn’t give me much faith in them that they have passed up the biggest opportunity in a while to give students some real relief.

Please support Senate Bill 2238 this year — and let’s make sure we can get even more done in 2011. Tuition needs to start going down, not holding steady. But if steady is all we can get, then that is better than the alternative.
http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=104488&section=opinion
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Tuition going up again; criticism of NDSA
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 10:51:23 AM »
A little from the Dakota Student:
DS View: Represent
Tuition freeze loses in ND. Student representation in question.
Editorial Board
Issue date: 2/13/09 Section: Opinion

* Print
    * Email
    * Article Tools

Page 1 of 1

Earlier this week, the North Dakota state Senate struck down a bill by one singular vote that would have provided a tuition freeze for North Dakota university students. The bill, which was proposed by District 42 Sen. Mac Schneider and asked for an original $26.5 million in funds over two years, failed in a 22-21 vote. By the time that the bill was rejected by the Senate, the bill had already evolved into a weakened version that limited the freeze to two-year institutions. Critics of the tuition freeze lampooned the legislation as an unnecessary allocation for a higher education system that already demands too much of North Dakota taxpayers. They lumped their issues with the tuition freeze into larger arguments against the spending habits of the North Dakota University System, bitter about an institution that has simply increased its funding requests based on the state's considerable surplus.

Despite opposition to the bill, we were painfully close to securing a tuition freeze that would have helped students at UND significantly, even in its second form (the bill would have capped tuition increases for four-year institutions at four percent).

It is reasonable to believe that the vote could have turned out very differently, given the right circumstances.That's why it is upsetting that students didn't prod legislators more during the weeks before the vote took place. Information has been abundant about the proposal of the tuition freeze, especially in the Grand Forks area (given that Sen. Schneider represents the area that includes the UND campus). Student government sent out an email that pleaded students to become more involved in the North Dakota Student Association specifically regarding the tuition freeze, given the neutral stance that NDSA had taken on the issue. Attendance increased at the NDSA meeting in Bismarck that week, but it seems enough wasn't done prior to the voting.

As an organization designed solely to represent the students in North Dakota, a bit of a disconnect seems to exist between the purpose of NDSA and their decision to stand neutral on the tuition freeze.

There are very few possible legislative actions imaginable that would directly serve North Dakota students more effectively than a tuition freeze; it was a policy issue that constituted a significant piece of the campaign platform for both parties in the District 42 elections, and we elected our current representatives specifically to bring these types of issues to the state table. A neutral stance does nothing for students, it simply states that we, as students, do not care and if that is true there is no point to an organization like NDSA.

Sen. Schneider did his job, as promised, but it seems like NDSA and those who would have supported a tuition freeze did not live up to their part of the bargain.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Tuition going up again; criticism of NDSA
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 08:07:12 AM »
A letter from Grant Hauschild, a UND student, about the lack of a tuition freeze.

Grant Hauschild, Grand Forks, letter: Lawmakers erred by nixing tuition freeze

Published Tuesday, February 17, 2009
GRAND FORKS — I am very disappointed in our North Dakota Legislature for recently defeating a two-year tuition freeze sponsored by our very own state Sen. Mac Schneider, D-Grand Forks.

North Dakota university tuitions have risen by more than 100 percent in the past six years, and students have to pay more and more every year for the same education.

My question is, why would a state Legislature with a surplus of more than a billion dollars not use that money to invest in the future of our state by helping North Dakota students pay for college more easily?

One of the biggest problems we have as a state is the outmigration of our young people, and the same people who oppose a tuition freeze are the ones who are trying to figure out why young people leave our state. Is it that hard of a question?

Why not support the few young people we still have left in this state, rather then sending them to Minnesota and other state colleges?

I want to send the thanks of all North Dakota college students to Schneider for being in touch with young people in our state.

Grant Hauschild

Hauschild is a student at UND.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything