Author Topic: Education building expanding  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Education building expanding
« on: April 02, 2010, 11:59:54 AM »

UND to smarten up Education Building
UND will break ground June 4 on the renovation and new wing of the Education Building, the university’s No. 1 project this year, education Dean Dan Rice said Thursday.
By: Tu-Uyen Tran, Grand Forks Herald

UND will break ground June 4 on the renovation and new wing of the Education Building, the university’s No. 1 project this year, education Dean Dan Rice said Thursday.

The $11.2 million project would see the existing 48,000 square feet gutted and rebuilt and the construction of 15,000 square feet of new space.

Rice and other officials involved in the project held an informational meeting with the university community to talk about the 15-month construction schedule.

A faculty member from adjacent Gilette Hall indicated that he and others were unhappy at the disruption. Rice said the location was selected because it had long-term benefits and he understood that, in the short term, the construction could be troublesome.

I haven't been to this area of campus since this article went up, but I can't really figure out which side of the building is going to get the new wing, and which space it's going to take up.  Is it going to go backwards into the mini-quad, or sideways towards Gilette?  15,000 square feet over three floors is about 5,000 square feet per floor, which could have a footprint of, what, 70'-80' square?

Does anyone know which architecture firm is in charge?  I'm guessing JLG since they do pretty much everything for UND, but I know there are others in town (Schoen, etc.).

Not sure what that last paragraph is about--I wonder if the faculty member will just be irritated by the construction noise and inconvenience (understandable), or if they really have a problem with this expansion.

JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Re: Education building expanding
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 12:33:56 PM »
God people complain about everything! Who is this "faculty member" that's complaining about said disruption. Maybe they should've never built UND because it'd be a disruption?

That said... it certainly will be a disruption... anyone in Aerospace for this last school year can tell you that since they were replacing all the bricks on the outside of odegard (apparently it was all filled with mold...) but yeah... we constantly had to switch rooms, talk over saws and hammering, had classes canceled. etc. etc. etc.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything