Author Topic: Fed up with telemarketers? Try mooing  (Read 5637 times)

Offline bisonguy

• NDSU
Fed up with telemarketers? Try mooing
« on: November 24, 2006, 03:59:15 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061124/od_nm/web_telesales_dc&printer=1

By Sara LedwithFri Nov 24, 6:22 AM ET

Congratulations! You can win the holiday of your dreams - a break from telemarketers -- if you're willing to moo, fake a murder scene, or follow a list of other diversionary tactics.

Those calls that always come when you're sitting down to dinner, with a robotic script to give you the secret of solar-powered hot-water bottles, can be a thing of the past. The Web offers many escapes from what Time Magazine has dubbed one of the worst inventions of the last century.

Some are practical - others frivolous, but tempting.

The Web site www.junkbusters.com encourages people to "bust the junk messages out of your life" by registering their phone number with a national do-not-call registry -- or downloading an "out of service tone" to confuse telemarketers' computers.

"We believe that 'the right to be let alone' ought to be a fundamental human right, and that nobody should ever have to pay to maintain it," says junkbusters, declaring its mission "to free the world from junk communications."

Including detailed guides and links to other resources to help cut down spam email, junk mail and junk faxes, junkbusters is a toolkit -- for people with the time to mine it.

But for more instant relief, http://www.sorrygottago.com hosts a battery of pre-recorded audio clips, some to play down the phone to cold callers, others just for fun.

Many offer the satisfaction of giving corporate callers a taste of their own call-centre manners.

"Your call is very important to us," says one. "That's why we have you on 'hold' with almost no chance of someone coming over to take the call. But if you would like to hold for an indefinite period of time and have nothing better to do, be our guest. Thank you for calling."

Other clips offer softer exits -- cows mooing, or lots of sneezing. A male voice making "I'm listening" noises including a random "Oh I'm here, I'm here," and a "That's unbelievable, you are just unbelievable," before hanging up.

But http://howtoprankatelemarketer.ytmnd.com scales surreal heights.

A comedy clip from American Tom Mabe, "the comedian nationally recognized for getting revenge on those annoying Telemarketers" according to his website, was recently one of the most popular on the user-generated content site.

Mabe turns the tables on the caller who is offering "a complete digital satellite system for free" by saying he is a detective and the caller is trying to contact a man who has just been murdered. Where was the telemarketer last night?

Offline taco87

• NDSU
Re: Fed up with telemarketers? Try mooing
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 07:17:07 PM »
That's awesome, I hate those people.  Might have to try one of their techniques the next time I get a call... :evil4: :evil4:

Offline zman

• NDSU
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 12:18:42 PM »
I am so glad I signed up for that Do Not Call List.  They need a do not mail list, I get credit card offers every day  >:(

You could try the "technique" in the video below:

[youtube=425,350]Y_dRh40N0o0[/youtube]

Offline ajekt

• NDSU
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 05:40:05 PM »
I am so glad I signed up for that Do Not Call List.  They need a do not mail list, I get credit card offers every day  >:(

You could try the "technique" in the video below:

Nice

Below is a good one:

[youtube=425,350]_9yWn8z017A[/youtube]
N-D-S-U ... Goooooo Bison!

Offline sscamaro1967

• UND
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 04:32:29 PM »
I'm sad to admit that i've actually worked at a telemarketing place.  I however was lucky and got on the incoming calls side. But i did learn that all of the calls made are actually automated.. theres a dialer that calls say 4 numbers for every telemarketer. So you got 1 telemarketer calling outbound, 4 numbers ringing all at once, 1 of those numbers picks up, ok good but the crappy news is, the other 3 just get hung up on. 

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 04:37:40 PM »
That's fun . . . were you selling anything useful?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline sscamaro1967

• UND
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 04:42:15 PM »
Actually people called in and ordered dsl from me most of the time, had a couple promotions selling dish network, and troubleshooting phone problems where i would dispatch a local technician.  Pretty basic stuff,  lucky i din't have to call people though.  Ahhh the perks of having a relative in management in a smaller town.

Offline zman

• NDSU
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 03:20:44 PM »
Actually people called in and ordered dsl from me most of the time, had a couple promotions selling dish network, and troubleshooting phone problems where i would dispatch a local technician.  Pretty basic stuff,  lucky i din't have to call people though.  Ahhh the perks of having a relative in management in a smaller town.

I hear inbound is much better then outbound; though I believe they typically pay less.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 11:05:28 PM »
I once worked on inbound for credit cards.  I always was able to "sell" them balance transfers etc.

My favorite was that after reading everything thousands of times I had the entire script memorized.

The best lasting affect is that I can talk extremely fast and people cannot understand me.  I suppose that can be good or bad, but its rather fun!

Good ole Citibank
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic