Author Topic: HOW TO HELP WITH FLOOD-FIGHTING EFFORTS  (Read 4210 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
HOW TO HELP WITH FLOOD-FIGHTING EFFORTS
« on: March 27, 2009, 09:25:19 AM »
We've been getting constant updates from the Student Government (if you're a student, you know).  Just in case anyone's out of the loop, here are the last two.

UND is NO LONGER sending buses to Fargo, but Fargo DOES need help.  They've begun construction on a second row of sandbags.  The crest predictions continue to rise, and flood prognosticators are admittedly confused.  If you can get your butt down to Fargo to help, that's where it's needed.

There IS stuff you can do in Grand Forks.  Add yourself to the contact list at http://flood.und.edu and they will call you and tell you what to do, OR call the Grand Forks flood hotline at (701) 787-8052.  Supposedly this is better than just showing up somewhere and trying to help--for example, apparently there were too many people filling sandbags yesterday afternoon and not enough placing them, so they changed all the busing around.

Quote from: Tyrone and Mike
Hello everyone,

As many of us saw this evening on the televised city council meeting in Fargo, the residents of Fargo are only protected from the Red River up to a level of 40 feet in many places.

According to the National Weather Service Fargo will be up to 41.1 feet by 7pm on Friday. ( A level that no one living has ever seen ) By Saturday they will be up around 42 feet. An estimation that has increased by 2 feet very recently, catching Fargo unprepared and in great need.

The need for volunteers in Grand Forks still exists, however not nearly to the level in Fargo. There are essentially 3 or 4 locations in Grand Forks that need help. With over 12,000 students and no classes we can easily help Grand Forks and Fargo without anyone wanting for more.

With this in mind, we are tentatively planning on sending buses from the Memorial Union to Fargo at 8 am on Friday morning. With more shifts to be announced later.

If you are interested in helping please show up at the Memorial Union by 8 am. If you receive this after 8 am, come to the union and sign up to go to Fargo at a later time.

The fate of Fargo rests in our hands, because the sand bags we move will mean the difference between a dike overflowing, or holding strong as the river crests. Bring more than just yourself, get every friend you have, and everyone who lives near you to come as well.

If there will ever be a time for service, it is now.

Sincerely,

Tyrone & Mike

Quote from: Tyrone and Mike
First of all, thank you for all of your efforts in helping our community! The amount of student turn out is remarkable!

Currently we will be unable to send buses to Fargo due to road conditions, we are monitoring the conditions and will send you an update if we are able to send buses.  There is a need for volunteers in Grand Forks all day today, specifically in the Burke addition.  Please fill out the form at http://flood.und.edu to volunteer and you will be notified when help is needed. 

Our community NEEDS us to keep coming out and helping!  So please keep up the great work and again thank you for your phenomenal efforts!

Tyrone & Mike

I will be trying to keep up to date with the announcements.  If you know anything about flood-fighting efforts from UND or Grand Forks, post up here.  Fargo updates should go in the Fargo flood topic.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 10:03:28 AM by Sal Atticum »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: HOW TO HELP WITH FLOOD-FIGHTING EFFORTS
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 09:40:28 AM »
Tu-Uyen Tran of the Grand Forks Herald has been updating flooding information all week on his blog.  Here are some of the recent entries:

Worst case scenarios - Crest predictions for the region.
Sandbag central at 3 a.m. - Good stuff going on all through the night.

Note that unlike the Herald website, you can read Tran's blog for free.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 09:45:52 AM »
JP, a UND Psychology student, has been keeping up to date with various flood news and photos as well on his blog:  Touring Grand Forks

Martin Rottler, another UND student, has a few updates as well: http://martinrottler.com/

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 11:22:50 AM »
JUST IN

Hello everyone,

We have five buses ready to go to Fargo. We'll send the buses as soon as we have enough people to fill them. Houses are already going under water, Fargo needs our help now more than ever.

Stop by the Union A.S.A.P. if you would like to go. Right now none of the buses are full. We are expecting to run shifts of 6 hours in Fargo.

We will continue to have vans in Grand Forks for those who want to help locally.

Sincerely,

Tyrone & Mike

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 04:10:31 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone!
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 08:04:37 PM »
If you haven't seen the other thread, Fargo sandbag filling closed at 6 pm today.  Yeah, they kicked us out and made us go home :(

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything