Author Topic: Bikecicle 2012 planning thread  (Read 31834 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Bikecicle 2012 planning thread
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2012, 10:32:13 PM »
sorry beek. mills and I thought it was a good idea..
No worries, I just was too slow with a new flyer, and the title sponsor was my mistake anyway, so it fits that I had to fix things.

Two things I forgot about last night:
- If there is no prereg, probably can't do shirts, but maybe the club could do other schwag like socks.  It's up to the club though.
- The race needs someone who is not racing to officiate/do timing.  We can't switch off since we're starting everyone together.  Any ideas for someon who would be willing to do this?

Probably more to think about.  Aaron, I think you're right about the course.  I'm not antsy about getting out there without knowing what the weather will be for at least a few more weeks.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2012, 08:46:51 PM »
First, check out the Barncross photos from this weekend.  Pretty darn sweet: http://winnipegcyclechick.com/?p=4071

Second, I had a long drive to South Dakota yesterday and had some time to brainstorm (my mind wanders while I drive).  These are all things I think would be sweet if I were able to devote time to them.

* Make the course primarily snow.  To do this we might cut the laps down a lot shorter and do multiple laps on fatbikes to open up the snow for everyone to be able to ride.
      * A shorter course would make it easier to have a kids race but we'd have to get the word out ASAP.
   * Use pallets to add in some features.  Regular up-and-overs, maybe some (optional) jumps on the downhill sections.  Could use snow piles+pallets+more snow to create banked turns.
   * Use the river.  We could get a lot of distance out of it and it's fun to ride on ice.  Access might be interesting.
   * I'm picturing the race on the GFK side just north of the parking lot by the bridge.  We could use the natural slope there, the river, some of the path, the stairs, a whole bunch of stuff.
   * Doing this much will take a lot of work.  I'm not sure what to do about that, get more people in the club?  Have a course-building party some night in the week leading up?

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2012, 10:13:03 PM »
Barncross is awesome!  I like all of your ideas, especially jumps...  Joe and I were going off little sled hill jumps with the fatbikes. All it takes is a few day prep of snow/ice to make them.   

As far as manpower goes, I think if we need a floatilla of fatbikes (and skinnies) to pack down a course, we can make it happen.  If we are going to go a bit crazier with "features" then perhaps we should do a ride this week to brainstorm so we can plan.   

If we still start by blue moose, we could immediately go downhill to the river and make our way to the main portion of the course on the ND side, then back across the river to the finish (uphill ooooo).  I'm not sure we want to use the bridge.    Need to scope out the river and make sure the ice is safe (stay farther downstream away from the bridge pylons).   

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2012, 04:51:35 PM »
When are you available this week?  I need to do a few longer rides and could work in course brainstorming.

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2012, 11:17:38 PM »
sometime this weekend might be best during the daylight? pretty busy for the remainder of the work week during the daytime. 

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
Saturday or Sunday afternoon would work I believe.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyo3YVoz-hk[/youtube]

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2012, 10:13:21 AM »
Sweet.  In a perfect world, we could come up with a pretty sweet course just S of the point bridge. Lots of that open single/doubletrack and then you have portions that enter the woods over there. Even some nice hills in a few places.   Maybe next year?

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2012, 09:44:02 PM »
Sunday early afternoon? 1ish? Warm and no fog, should make for good conditions to scout things out. I was puytzing around yesterday and I had to ride goggle/glassless because they got rimed.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2012, 10:08:01 AM »
Sweet.  In a perfect world, we could come up with a pretty sweet course just S of the point bridge. Lots of that open single/doubletrack and then you have portions that enter the woods over there. Even some nice hills in a few places.   Maybe next year?
I think it'd be sweet except it wouldn't be as accessible to spectators who didn't make the trip out there specifically for the race.  Maybe I worry about that too much?

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2012, 10:18:02 AM »
Naw, that's a valid concern.  I imagine there will always be a balance between accessibility and course design.  1pm on Sun work for you? Or maybe we should go later like 2:30-3 if anyone else who is training wants to scope things out?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:19:04 AM by OUWxGuesser »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2012, 10:56:56 AM »
1 pm should work for me unless other people want to have input. 

Offline Alaska Unicyclist

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2012, 11:34:19 AM »
I think we should schedule the ride around the spin class. (anytime before 12 or after 2)
"It never gets easier, you just get faster" - Greg Lemond

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2012, 11:38:01 AM »
Or I could go today, but that would be during spin class too I guess.

I could do after 2.

Offline Alaska Unicyclist

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2012, 05:45:53 PM »
3:15 union?
"It never gets easier, you just get faster" - Greg Lemond

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2012, 06:00:52 PM »
mkay with me.

I identified some features today that would be cool to include.  On the EGF side the closest river access to the north is just south of the Gateway bridge, which is fine except that I don't know exactly what you would do between there and the Blue Moose (since the snowmobile trail is not useable).  I'll post my ideas tomorrow morning probably.

Quote from: Aaron
As far as manpower goes, I think if we need a floatilla of fatbikes (and skinnies) to pack down a course, we can make it happen.
Depending on how tomorrow goes, having some sort of semiofficial course party some night the week of the race to wear things in wouldn't be a bad idea, and could be expanded to include some adult beverages.

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2012, 06:28:28 PM »
mmm frosty beverages.   River access did look problematic near the Moose.  The closest (safe place) to cross the river may be either at the boat landing or just up a bit near that drainage culvert.  We could crunch down a path between the snowmobile course and the river's edge.   

I'll plan on meeting you guys by the town square or the moose around 3:30?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 06:29:20 PM by OUWxGuesser »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2012, 08:26:08 PM »
I rode across a couple times today just north of mt haga and the ice seemed fine.  There's egf access right there and gf access either directly across or slightly north (and then pretty regular as you go north).  I'd put a map up now but I'm at the roller derby right now.

We can make it work.  I'm a little sad we can't add any more urban terrain in.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2012, 01:10:52 PM »
How does this look?  I added some curves and it comes out to 0.95 miles.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208329735238098844857.0004b8506521e4e90fe17&msa=0&ll=47.92764,-97.031246&spn=0.003659,0.008379

I think riding down the section you pointed out Aaron is possible; at least I rode down it a few times yesterday.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 01:11:47 PM by Sal Atticum »

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2012, 04:05:56 PM »
Looks good to me,  I only had two ideas in the shower this morning:

#1 Chicane area on the river?

#2 I thought it might be fun to have the course go up the N side of the parking lot before hitting the greenway. You could give the riders two options:
-run with your bike up the stairs 
-we shovel /fatbike flotilla  the area next to the stairs and give them the possibility of riding up the hill.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything