Author Topic: The Political Cartoon Thread  (Read 5468 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
The Political Cartoon Thread
« on: June 15, 2007, 09:28:14 AM »
With all the hype about how this is going to be the most web-centered Presidential election ever (just like the last one was...), I figured I would jump on the bandwagon and do my part for showing off what the candidates have to offer.  I may not have a lot of time to do this, but I encourage anyone to jump in and fill my shoes while I'm gone this summer.  To start off, I would like to show the follwowing cartoon:

This is something that I (and apparently others as well) have been thinking for a while now.  What happened to the difference between the parties?  At present, it appears that many times, they disagree on principal of being different parties, rather than on what their constituents would like them to do.  Sure, if you choose to elect a Republican (or Democrat) to office, you generally know how they are going to react and you probably agree with them on the majority of the issues.  However, how many people vote for one party (not one candidate, a fine distinction) based on a single issue?  It is unfortunate that certain issues polarize this country so much, but it is also a result of the two-party system.  If you and your opponent are so alike, you have to bring attention to those differences, even if you had to invent those differences at the last minute.  This causes changes within the party over time, although sometimes people get noticed (think about John Kerry's reputation as a flip-flopper and try to figure out what that is based on--do you actually remember what it was, or do you eat up what the talking heads on TV say?).  Just look at the shift from the Southern Democrat to the Democratic Party of today.

I don't like spin.  I don't even really like politics, because I see it as a series of people (of either party) lying to the people.  It takes time to get things done in Washington not because of bureaucracy, but because as soon as people are elected, the majority begin to ignore their constituency and play the same game everyone else is playing.

There should be no deals.  There should be debate on the merits of a particular course of action, regardless of the special interests of the elected party, who funded them, or how many lobbyists they have banging on their door at one time.  This is not the way the government is run today, but it is the way it should be run.  This can be changed if enough people decide it is worthwhile.  Although this is not my main point, consider promoting Democracy Matters to have clean elections in your local area.

I have not decided which candidate I would like to endorse, but I encourage everyone to consider third parties.  I ask of you all one thing:  that you think about who you are voting for--what they claim they will do, who is supporting their campaign, and whether you believe that they will give it their all to act as you want them to act.  This is not an election to break things down on party lines--this is an election to declare who we are as a country, by electing individuals who will represent us to the limits of their strength.

I'll leave you with a quote from a person I know:
Quote from: phantomofthenet
If the President becomes a dictator, you gonna just lay down your arms and go quietly like some Chinese peasant?

The President, may I remind you, works for US. We, the people. Not the other way around. We are the boss of HIM. He's our employee.

[Boromir Sneer]
America has no king. America needs no king.
[/Boromir Sneer]
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 09:30:03 AM by mburtonk »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• UND
Re: The Political Cartoon Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 05:29:38 PM »
Heres one.  I dont know what its saying really.........

DOH-- how do I make it post?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 05:30:19 PM by Admiral Ackbar »
IT'S A TRAP!!!!1!

Offline JakeJZG

• SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    • tl;dr
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 03:19:11 PM »
What is that quote about?  Do you think we are in danger of having a dictatorship in the near future?

This is why I like Fred Thompson.  You know.  If he were to ...RUN.

That said, the Republicans are telling you exactly what they are going to do, and the Democrats are telling you exactly what you want to hear.  The issue they have is that they feel that in order to compete and earn campaign money they have to cater to the extreme left in this country - and that meant appeasing George Soros like characters as well as Daily Kos, DU, and MoveOn.  This isn't bad - people should go for what they believe in - but the candidates are completely disingenuous.

This is of course how I see it.  I don't believe that I am an more clairvoyant than anyone else here.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 07:24:28 PM by JakeJZG »
Use Windows?  Want to know a better way?
Come join the East Dakota Linux Users Group!
http://talk.campusdakota.com/index.php?board=111.0
http://www.tldr.de/~edlug/

Offline ajekt

• NDSU
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 12:12:33 PM »
That said, the Republicans are telling you exactly what they are going to do, and the Democrats are telling you exactly what you want to hear. 

Yeah right.  The republicans are always talking out of their asses.  What good has come from any of them.  Oh yeah, illegal wire taps, a county in a way that seemingly will never end, and others.  All run by *******  search the history of your fearless leader.
N-D-S-U ... Goooooo Bison!

Offline JakeJZG

• SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    • tl;dr
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 03:45:24 PM »
Aside from the rest of the post, what should I search about regarding my "Fearless Leader"?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 04:01:03 PM »
Do you think we are in danger of having a dictatorship in the near future?

Some people might think so.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline JakeJZG

• SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    • tl;dr
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 02:35:19 PM »
Well, I can assure you that there will be no canceling of the '08 elections and an assumption of dictatorial powers.  He might be thinking of Chavez, and not Bush.

Speaking of such types of events - we should currently be more worried about the success of NASA's asteroid defense system. 
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/06/nasa_nuke_bot_vs_doom_boulder/
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 06:28:39 PM by JakeJZG »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything