Author Topic: use funds for spring concert for something EDUCATIONAL  (Read 3744 times)

Offline jbaker

• UND
use funds for spring concert for something EDUCATIONAL
« on: October 13, 2006, 04:43:00 PM »
ok.  really now.  why in the world are we using ungodly amounts of student funds for something so worthless as some C-list pop band to come play for <10% of the student population????

how about following the lead of other respected institutions and bring some interesting and enlightening speakers, former presidents, political figures, authors, researchers, intellectuals, etc???

lets put those SCHOOL funds toward something for our EDUCATION, not entertainment.

Offline talksalot83

• UND
Re: use funds for spring concert for something EDUCATIONAL
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 11:47:51 PM »
Then while you tout SLS,  $40,000 of student funds could have been used on something that (my guess) less than 10 percent of the student population is going to use. LOL

Offline lynsey

• UND
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 12:25:57 PM »
Judging from what Bob Obma said last week at Student Government, the bands they're looking into aren't C list. They might only be B+ list, but I'd still like to see them get The Killers.

Honestly, there is a lot of educational programming that happens on campus each year. I've been to a lot of it, and it's nice to have a fun event once in awhile.

Offline Stonegateguy

• UND
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 12:45:03 PM »
i agree with the second post ... i think many more students would go to a concert then a educational speaker. Being a broke college student myself i am not able to afford to go to concerts usually... so it is nice that i know that i will be able to attend at least one concert a year that otherwise i would not be able to afford   :D

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 08:30:03 PM »
I think concerts have their place, just like educational speakers do.  One of my main problems with this university is the lack of promotion of events--and the fact that it seems so hard to advertise something that is put on by a student group.

I think the Killers would be fun to see, as long as they stuck to playing anything except "Mr. Brightside."

(by the way, related thread).
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline jbaker

• UND
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 09:01:02 PM »
.  One of my main problems with this university is the lack of promotion of events--and the fact that it seems so hard to advertise something that is put on by a student group.

i absolutely agree.  the promotion for ANYTHING at this school is essentially non existent.  i had 800 people show up at my one-night-only-warehouse-party-with-music-people-dont-even-"like".... all done by hitting the street hard, shaking hands, passing out fliers.

a few posters in the union doesnt cut it.  promote promote promote. 

i still fundamentally dont think its the school's business to be putting on purely entertainment events. 

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic