Author Topic: Today's idea: "Ride with the cycling team" during Homecoming weekend  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
I was sending that email out this morning to the alumni who had contacted us about jerseys, and I was thinking what a good thing it was that people could graduate from UND and then still be able to represent the school while they actually participated in a sport--I know lots of people own hockey jerseys and such, but they mostly wear them to watch games or to cheer on the teams, not to actually play hockey.  We have an opportunity to connect with alumni in a way many other teams and clubs do not, because many people like to ride and are able to long after they graduate.

I was thinking about what we could do about this, especially in a way that would let us connect with some of the alumni who want to buy jerseys.  I think it would be possible to have some event during Homecoming that would let us make this connection since there will be a lot of alumni on campus, many with families and many of whom may want to make a connection with the current students.  Rather than having a boring old "eat brunch with the hockey team" or "get your football signed by the football team after the game," we could have a "Ride with the cycling team" event where we could meet up with anyone who wants to go on a road ride (or a bike path ride, or both) and chat them up (fully kitted out, of course).  Cyclists are cyclists, so rather than awkwardly talking to us about how they love us and think we're great because they like watching the team win, we could talk to them about bicycles and riding and whatever.

If we got on this early enough (in the next month or so I suppose), we'd be able to have this be an official part of homecoming weekend with all the publicity that entails, all through the alumni organization (whatever they're called).  It wouldn't be that hard (on the day of), we could meet some new people, and we could potentially get some new supporters, all while looking decidedly pro.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
That'd be sweet.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
I emailed the UND Alumni Association to see how we could get on a list for homecoming this fall.  If we send them this form we'll get included in the general hooplah.  It is due by the end of next week (says Monday, May 15th, but the 15th is a Saturday).

1.  Do people want to do this?
2.  What day(s) should we put on the form and what events should we have?
3.  ???
4.  Profit!

Matt,

This is a great idea! I have attached a form for you to fill out and I can add your event into the Homecoming packet which is sent out to 84,000 alumni and friends. The only time I would avoid is Saturday as it is so busy with the 5k/10k race, parade, tailgating and football. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Katie

Homecoming Oct. 4th – 10th
Event Information Form

Please complete and return this form by Monday, May 15, 2010 to Katie Compton, Associate Director of Alumni Programming & Outreach at the UND Alumni Association, Stop 8157 or Fax 777-4859. ONE EVENT PER FORM.

**Please note that in order for your event to be listed in the Homecoming 2010 mailer this form needs to be completed. Due to space availability please limit content to 50 words or less.

Department/Organization:
Contact Person:
Phone:
E-mail:
Event Name:
Date:
Time:
Thank you for participating in Homecoming 2010!

If you have any questions feel free to email me @ [email protected] or call 777.3493.

Offline sanders

• UND
i think we should do it, i don't really know what day(s) she says no saturday, so we could do it friday i guess i don know. this would probly be non profit, unless we wanted to try to sell kits, and inform peeps about sponsorship.
Alone you are an athlete but on a bike you are a rocket

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Would you like a "road ride" or an "around town" ride, or both on different days?

Offline curlingDave

• UND
I'd say both on different days, to better accommodate the public (and our) schedules.
Life is complex.  It has a real part and an imaginary part.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Since this needs to be done Monday (May 17th), I'm suggesting a road ride on Wednesday October 6th around 5 and an around town ride on Friday October 8th at 2 or 3.

If nobody posts to complain, this is what will be submitted and I'll have to write up a description of each event.

If anyone ELSE wants to fill out the paperwork (see third post) and send it back via email, I'm all for it, just let me know so they don't get two copies.  We have to fill out one form for each ride.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:54:15 PM by Sal Atticum »

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Beek can you associate dates with those Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays?
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Absolutely not.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
I see what you are asking now.  Apologies.  I will edit the post to be less confusing.

This stuff is due tomorrow, May 17th to the woman whose email address is above.

Homecoming week is the 4th-10th, Monday-Sunday.  So the Wednesday and Friday in question would be the 6th and 8th of October. 

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Completed and sent in.  I thought there needed to be a description of the event but apparently not.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything