Author Topic: Campus Fixies! Looking for those interested in Fixed Gear bikes and SingleSpeed  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Campus Fixies

• UND
Open to UND studies and anybody interested!  Selling used road bikes equipped for campus class to class riding.  Its simple, we take old geared rode bikes and strip them down and clean them up and turn them into low maintenance machines for cheap.  IF there is any interest please call me asap so I start making a bike for your preference.

Elliot Carvell
701-426-2611
CAMPUS FIXIES

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Elliot. Promise that you're not taking old road bikes that are actually useful as road bikes and stripping them and spray painting them to make them fixed gears.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Campus Fixies

• UND
Elliot. Promise that you're not taking old road bikes that are actually useful as road bikes and stripping them and spray painting them to make them fixed gears.

I am not rattle'canning anything.  I am simply converting bikes that are unused.  In other words...bikes with most parts that are shot and do not function.  I see it as recycling.  Using old bikes that are garbage and converting them into low maintenance machines? Seems logical to me, even though it may not to you.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 11:35:04 PM by Campus Fixies »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
What are you doing with all of those old "shot" parts?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• UND
I didn't say anything about taking trash and making them usable as being illogical. I simply stated that taking perfectly good bicycles that "don't function" likely because they need some consumable parts (like a chain, re-cabling, and perhaps some brake pads) and stripping them is taking potentially beautiful and otherwise perfectly good bicycles off the streets.

Recycling is one thing. Destroying simply because you have no use for it is another.

Not to mention where are you getting your "unused" bikes and parts?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 12:19:29 PM by Guardrail »
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Campus Fixies

• UND
What are you doing with all of those old "shot" parts?

Well if there shot...I would through them away...I am talking about a rusty chain...a cassette that wont turn...rusty brake cables.  I assume they will sit in a box in my garage if I don't throw them.

Guardrail, I think we are misunderstanding each other. Because I for one do not even know what you are arguing. You said " taking potentially beautiful and otherwis perfectly good bicycles off the streets."  How is this so.  By converting a bike to a single speed you don't remove it from the streets. Hopefully the owner will be inspired to ride more with used "but new" piece of equipment.

I am not trashing bikes guys. I am simply finding old road bikes from rummage sales or anybody that has a junker and making them a simple bike.  My passion is bikes. Whether it be single speed or fixie I love. I just want to show other people how amazing simplicity.

Offline Plantains

• UND
I understand you. I'm glad to hear that ur trashing cables and chains and nothing more. My point is for example lets say you encounter a bicycle left lying about like perhaps a light blue Raleigh Supercourse. You notice that this bike would make a perfect "fixie" because it is old and doesn't function. You decide to remove the cables and chain and then all of the parts including the weinmann center pull brakes and Huret gearing system which is not functioning and out of date. Then you convert it into a fixie because it has semi-horizontal dropouts. You may even take the big ring off of the fluted crankset and salvage it into a single ring crankset. Bing bang boom... you took a bike that was "unused" and made it into a fixie thus recycling it. You probably even made good money because it came stock with a brooks on it.

The problem is that all that bike would have needed to be rideable and low maintenance would have been new cables a new chain a little cleaning up and some adjustments. But instead, someone is riding around on a beautiful Reynolds 531 tubed frameset while the ALSO BEAUTIFUL (but "crappy and unused because they're dirty???) Huret componentry which no one knows anything about because its not shimano or campy.

Furthermore, people don't know the difference between good shimano and bad shimano regardless.

To sum up. I have no issue with you, in fact any individual promoting cycling on campus is a friend of mine. However the caveat is, there are differences between "unused" bicycles and unused bicycles. Simply because it was left for the chainset to rust doesn't mean it should be stripped and rebuilt as a fixie.

Did that make sense? I mean... lets face it, I had a conversion. Heck I rattle canned my conversion, but it was a frame with a hole in the steel and it was Sekai's 400 model which was the equivalent of the Wal-Mart edition. I just don't want to see classic bicycles that look like a pile taken off the streets because someone doesn't know what they're doing.

Sheldon would be very upset.

Offline Campus Fixies

• UND
I agree. You said alot but I agree.  I just putting froth an idea and seeing those interested.  My intention is not to destroy classics.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
So how is this going?  I assume your season is winding down for getting people excited about buying bicycles, but maybe you have some orders for the winter?

Also, do you know anyone looking to get rid of decent mountain bike frames?

Offline Campus Fixies

• UND
So how is this going?  I assume your season is winding down for getting people excited about buying bicycles, but maybe you have some orders for the winter?

Also, do you know anyone looking to get rid of decent mountain bike frames?

Yea not to much interest now which is expected and I know my buddy wants to sell his surley instigator frame.  Maybe the bike as a whole.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Supposedly (and you can ask Guardrail or Toaster about this) fixed gears give you a lot more control in the winter; you might try that angle.

Something tells me I'm not big enough (or mean enough) to ride an instigator.

Your buddy might want to post in this topic or start a new one on the UND Cycling board.

Offline Plantains

• UND
They are FAR superior in the snow. I was TOTALLY surprised by this.

But its similar in the sense that an AWD vehicle's computer makes constant adjustments under slippery conditions. Similarly, your legs are the drivetrain, and your brain is your computer. SInce it's essentially direct drive, its amazing.

I'm actually working on developing an AWD system for a pedaled bicycle as we speak.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic