Author Topic: Want to combine UND and NDSU?  (Read 5485 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Want to combine UND and NDSU?
« on: September 10, 2010, 07:06:17 PM »
It's a possibility, I guess.  I think I would be up for it if the bullet train were guaranteed (what can I say, I really want a ullet train to Fargo), but can you imagine the problems with trying to combine departments, departmental policies, and administration (deans, et al.)?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/175029

Fargo man wants to combine UND, NDSU
By: Amy Dalrymple, The Forum

Here’s a far-fetched idea: How about combining UND and North Dakota State University?

A Fargo man admits his idea sounds crazy at first, but Bill Kiefer thinks creating one large flagship university will bring benefits to the state.

The 60-year-old NDSU alumnus wants to put the issue to a vote of the people.

Kiefer said he plans to pursue a constitutional initiated measure to merge the two universities.

Kiefer, an independent financial adviser who played football for NDSU from 1968 to ’71, said he’s been talking about his idea for several years and now he’s ready to move it forward.

“This will be the biggest thing to happen to our state since the railroad crossed the Red River,” Kiefer said.

Many other states have one large flagship university rather than two competing campuses, Kiefer said.

When asked why combining NDSU and UND is a good idea, Kiefer lists these buzzwords: “stronger, better, more efficient, more competitive, growth engine.”

Kiefer said he has a steering committee that is working on the proposal. They plan to launch a website soon called Team North Dakota.

Group members, which include some skeptics, are joined by one common goal, Kiefer said.

“The main issue here is what’s best for the great state of North Dakota,” he said.

The group hasn’t worked out all the details of how the two universities would combine or what the school would be called.

One idea is to build a bullet train between Fargo and Grand Forks to provide transportation between the two campuses.

Kiefer has also discussed building an athletic stadium between the two cities.

His proposal does not affect the other nine campuses in the North Dakota University System.

Kiefer has discussed his idea with Chancellor Bill Goetz and other higher education officials.

“I deem this a citizen’s rights matter,” Goetz said. “People can bring forth ideas. That’s exactly what he’s doing and that’s exactly how I treated it.”

Goetz said he’d want to see Kiefer’s analysis and details before commenting on the merits of his idea.

“I stand behind our existing system with two research institutions, two viable institutions,” Goetz said.

Kiefer said the first step for the group is to discuss the issue around the state. Then, they will decide whether to pursue petition signatures to get it on the ballot or if they’ll ask legislators to consider the issue.

Kiefer said he’s been told that the soonest it could be on the ballot is June 2012.

“We’re not saying this has to happen,” Kiefer said. “We’re saying this should be debated.”

The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead and the Herald are owned by Forum Communications Co.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Want to combine UND and NDSU?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 10:58:46 PM »
I am not really seeing the benefits of this?  What are they?  It would make more sense to combine some of the other schools in the system, then to combine schools that are that far apart.  While a bullet train would be cool, its way too expensive and simply doesn't sound feasible.  As Sal added, the merging of policies etc. would be very difficult.

I also really dont think that the state as a whole would go for something like this... there is still too much animosity between the two schools.

I am interested in what the proposer and committee will outline, but I for one think this idea will never fly... and for good reason.
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything