Author Topic: Higher Education Notebook: NDSU student campaign aims to prevent bullying  (Read 4844 times)

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Higher Education Notebook: NDSU student campaign aims to prevent bullying
North Dakota State University student leaders will launch a campaign this week to discourage harassment and bullying.
By: Amy Dalrymple, INFORUM

North Dakota State University student leaders will launch a campaign this week to discourage harassment and bullying.

The “Walk the Talk” campaign aims to empower students, faculty and staff to take action against bullying that has been a growing problem nationally.

Student leaders initiated the campaign after they grew concerned about anti-gay chants that were occasionally coming from the student section at NDSU football games, said Ken Story, student government’s executive commissioner for public relations.

“It’s a campaign to make this university a little bit better for all populations,” Story said.

Students will be encouraged to sign pledge cards that include a statement saying they will educate themselves on diversity, confront inappropriate language and stereotypes, work to create a welcoming community and put a stop to bullying and harassment.

“We’re not just going to talk; we’re going to walk the talk and speak out against any anti-discriminatory chants on campus,” said Kevin Black, NDSU student body president.

Pledge cards will be displayed in the student government office, and students will receive green unity wrist bands that say “I walk the talk.”

The week will end with a rally at 5 p.m. Thursday in the Memorial Union Great Ballroom.

Although the campaign ends Friday, organizers expect it will have a lasting impact.

“We hope the momentum continues,” Story said.

Support for Measure 1

The North Dakota Student Association has passed a resolution supporting Measure 1, which would establish an oil legacy fund where oil revenue will be saved for future use.

“I feel that by supporting Measure 1, it will allow our state to plan more responsibly for the future of North Dakota” said Mary Christian, NDSA lobbyist, in a statement distributed to students. “However, I feel that there is still some ambiguity that will need to be worked out regarding details of the measure.”

The student group represents students in the 11 North Dakota University System campuses.
Source: http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/296662/

I think its a good move to try to help combat bullying, it is a world-wide issue.  I have heard the chants at football games.  While the chants are targeted at the other team and not targeted at someone that is actually gay, I do agree they need to stop.  They are inappropriate and not respectful.  I am impressed though as I have seen many students try to stop the chant.

I do have a problem with supporting measure 1, why would NDSA support measure 1 if there is some concern about the bill according to the NDSA lobbyist:

However, I feel that there is still some ambiguity that will need to be worked out regarding details of the measure.

I feel if you support a measure you should not have to say the details need to be worked out... they should already be worked out.

CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
I really don't see a problem with measure one, but I think what the NDSA rep is talking about is the concern about what the money can be used for in the future--at least that sounds like what I've been hearing while not paying attention this election cycle at all.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic