Author Topic: Meanwhile, back in 1994 . . .  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Meanwhile, back in 1994 . . .
« on: August 14, 2007, 08:46:06 AM »
I can't vouch for the reality or unreality of this, as I am about to leave for the week and don't have any time.

[youtube=425,350]6BEsZMvrq-I[/youtube]

How did we go from this articulate, semi-sensible-sounding man to the looming thing that stands behind President Bush?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline JakeJZG

• SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    • tl;dr
Re: Meanwhile, back in 1994 . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 02:24:49 PM »
I believe it would be disingenuous to consider the geopolitical landscape of ~2003 - 2008 to be in any way similar to that of 1994 being right after the fall of the Soviet Union.  While current actions by this country are not going to be argued here as "right" or "wrong", I will say that merely comparing past statements with the goal of "proving" someone a hypocrite merely establishes what we already know - everyone is a hypocrite to some measure.  This situation, though, is not a great example of this due to the astoundingly different situation the United States is in.  Fifteen years make a difference.  Such differences were exemplified during the timespan between these two dates.

I will say however that considering the doctrine both superpowers operated under during the cold war it would have been completely foolhardy to invade what would be considered a perfectly good puppet regime.  Such regimes maintained a sense of stability for the production of oil and other strategic assets.  Current strategies reflect a paradigm shift towards an opposite, but none too dissimilar end.  Now, we are enhancing the power and capabilities of Democratic movements in various measures of force and intrigue.  If this type of approach works...this will only be known in time. 

That said, such striking differences in statements of position is not altogather inexcusable or unheard of with similar context.  I can personally accept that such factors would account for this change rather than Cheney being "evil" or "political" or opportunistic or even perhaps unstable in thought processes.  Those who know both he and myself do not believe he is of such character.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 02:33:50 PM by JakeJZG »
Use Windows?  Want to know a better way?
Come join the East Dakota Linux Users Group!
http://talk.campusdakota.com/index.php?board=111.0
http://www.tldr.de/~edlug/

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic