Author Topic: 50 Free Apps We're Most Thankful For - lifehacker  (Read 3467 times)

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
50 Free Apps We're Most Thankful For - lifehacker
« on: November 26, 2010, 12:44:02 AM »
50 Free Apps We're Most Thankful For

Lifehacker has a pretty good list of 50 cool apps for your computer. I have used most on the list and will be trying out some new ones soon.  Personally I would recommend some of the ones I listed below.

Dropbox

Dropbox is a pretty cool application for online file storage and sharing.  I dont use the program a lot (I use SpiderOak for my online sharing), but Dropbox is definitely useful.  Heck you even get 2 gigs free.  If you want to try out SpiderOak take a look, you also get 2 gigs free and if you sign up for a free of paid account you will be helping out Campus Dakota, just use the promo code cd1.

VLC (Video Lan Client)

VLC is a media player that will play about any audio or video file.  It is pretty lightweight and has some cool functionality.  Its available on all major operating systems.

CCleaner

CClearner is a great application for cleaning up all the junk that accumulates in windows.

Open Office

Dont want to buy Microsoft Office or looking for other options?  Give Open Office a try.  It is a full featured office program that is available on all major operating systems.

Pandora

Pandora is a great streaming music player (im even listening to it right now).  It is great at finding new music for you based on how you rate other songs.

FileZilla

If you need to access a server FileZilla is one of the best options... enough said.

TrueCrypt

While my Ubuntu Linux operating system allows me to encrypt my files, many operating systems dont easily allow this.  Take a look at TrueCrypt.  It will help protect your files and important information from prying eyes.  This is especially important on laptops as they often get stolen.  And sorry, but your login password will not stop someone from getting your files/information, you need good encryption for that.  Check it out, its free!  Heck I can even provide some advice if you get stuck!

Pidgin

Pidgin is a great replacement for running multiple instant messaging programs.  You can connect to Facebook, AIM, MSN, Google Talk, and other networks... all though one application.

TeamViewer

I have never used TeamViewer, but it looks like a pretty cool application for desktop sharing, remote access, and more.

ReadItLater

Have too many tabs open or a lot of articles you want to read but no time?  Check out ReadItLater.  Its a cool app that will allow you to easily mark pages that you want to come back to later.  I have used it in the past and it worked well (though my list was getting way too long) but I am mostly using Springpad now instead.  Springpad is a pretty sweet "note taking"  app.

Let us know what you think of some of these apps or share some other cool apps you know about!
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic