Author Topic: University of Illinois grad students strike  (Read 4131 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
University of Illinois grad students strike
« on: December 22, 2009, 08:15:04 AM »
http://scienceblogs.com/primatediaries/2009/11/university_of_illinois_graduat.php
http://www.uigeo.org/2009/11/08/official-press-release-for-the-first-time-major-student-union-at-university-of-illinois-overwhelmingly-votes-to-authorize-a-strike/

They actually did strike, and they won, according to what I was able to look up in a few minutes.  This was mostly about a living wage, but the comments I've found have linked it to specific humanities departments who were getting shafted rather than other departments whose students were being paid more.  So why weren't all students getting paid the same?  I thought that was standard at most schools.

In the end, what do you think?  Should graduate students get to strike at all?  How much should graduate students get paid?  How much are they worth as instructors, to the school and to the undergraduates they are teaching?  How much are they worth as researchers?  I know someone who has something like four jobs plus grad school--how is this possible at a time when education is touted as the solution to the worlds problems?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline red hibiscus

• UND
Re: University of Illinois grad students strike
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 06:11:26 PM »
If graduate students aren't getting paid enough (at least enough to live sufficiently), then by all means, let them strike.

I think there needs to be some way to guarantee all grad students full funding every year---as long as they're actually working and actually making progress toward their degree. Being a grad student is stressful enough without having to worry about not making money and racking up more debt. 

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 10:13:25 PM »
Very interesting. 

Grad students are not paid the same amount.  At one particular school I know of they range from $7,000 to over $42,000 ... it is ridiculous. 

I think they should be able to strike, why not... they are employees.  I am not sure the amount they should get paid, but it should be enough to live off of... or come close to it.  Hell it would be nice if it was near the poverty line... but im sure thats too much to ask for.

Most people dont understand that grad students are essential for universities to continue to operate the way they do... at most universities with decent grad schools the grad students are either teaching or assisting in a large percentage of classes... without them expenses would sky rocket.  I am not sure about grad students as researchers as I am not knowledgeable in that area.

In my opinion the whole higher education system needs a reworking.

Who represents students nationally???
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 09:19:47 AM »
I'm not sure there is a national grad student association.  As I understand it, you can't have a grad student "union" in ND because unions are illegal here.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 02:59:46 PM »
Unions are illegal?  Is that legal?
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything