Author Topic: College student toughs it out....  (Read 3777 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
College student toughs it out....
« on: June 05, 2007, 10:09:15 AM »
...to win the hot dog eating world record!

:puke:

We need to have something like this in GF over the summer--who won the Rhombus Pizza contest at Springfest, anyway?

San Jose college student shatters hot-dog eating contest

Jill Tucker, Chronicle Staff Writer

Saturday, June 2, 2007

(06-02) 20:40 PDT -- He did it.

San Jose college student Joey Chestnut shattered the world record for hot dog eating today in Arizona, downing 59 1/2 franks and buns in 12 minutes flat.

The old record was 53 3/4 set at last year's Coney Island championship on July 4 by Chestnut's hot dog-eating nemesis Takeru Kobayashi -- a six-time world champion.

On that day, Chestnut fell short by one dog.

He has been training for a rematch ever since.

Chestnut's record-breaking win at a regional qualifier got him a seat at that rematch: Nathan's Famous Fourth of July International Hot Dog Eating Contest.

For Chestnut today, it was a hard-fought world record but an easy victory -- the guy who came in second ate 33 hot dogs with their white bread buns.

"I had been training for this contest for a little bit," Chestnut said in a phone interview from Arizona about five hours after the contest in Tempe.

For those unfamiliar with the world of competitive eating, that was an understatement.

Chestnut, 23, started training six weeks ago with what he calls a "hot dog run" two days per week. Each time he consumed as many hot dogs as possible in 12 minutes, doing his "weird" dance, flexing and wiggling to push the food down.

Then, he didn't eat for three days to prepare for the next time.

"You have to mentally have a reason to eat that much and maybe convince my body that it's OK it's not going to hurt it," he said.

One day each week he ate normally. He also took "tons of vitamins," amino acids and protein supplements.

Before today's contest, he didn't eat Thursday or Friday.

"It's crazy," he admitted. "I love to compete. I know it's what I have to do to be No. 1."

While he usually buys cheap dogs for the runs, he splurges on $55 worth of Nathan's hot dogs -- which are used in competitions -- before the events to get a taste for them.

His whole focus right now is "work and eating."

He is a project manager for a local construction company and a part-time civil engineering student at San Jose State University, with three semesters to go before graduation.

Chestnut compares himself to a well-trained athlete who knows his body and pushes it to its limits. He is 6'1'' and 220 pounds - usually.

He knew he could break the record. He'd done it in practice.

Yet, officially trouncing Kobayashi's measly 53 Â 3/4 was, well, fulfilling.

"I was super-excited," said Chestnut, literally 17 pounds heavier from the effort.

Immediately after the contest, he took a nap.

It's physically necessary, he said. The body needs every bit of energy to start digesting those 21,000 calories -- bread first, meat over the next couple of days.

"It was rough," he said tonight just before boarding a plane for New York. "They're all in there right now."

He won't eat again until "probably" Sunday night.

In the meantime, he's supposed to throw the first pitch out at the New York Mets baseball game Sunday -- a previously scheduled event that will be even better given the world record, Chestnut said.

Afterward, it's back to training.

He'll do another hot dog run on Wednesday.

After all, it's only four weeks until Coney Island.

With the world record under his belt, he worries that Japan's Kobayashi will only train harder now.

Chestnut wants the Mustard Belt that his opponent hoisted above his head on Independence Day last year.

He wants that glory.

"It's also the Fourth of July," he said. "So it's for America, too."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/06/02/BAGFUQ6T8F4.DTL
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: College student toughs it out....
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 10:01:10 PM »
nice.

I would like to see some NDSU/UND competitions.
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic