Author Topic: Howdy from UND Cycling  (Read 36707 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Howdy from UND Cycling
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 05:35:07 PM »
Awesomeness. 

Remind me to badger Toaster into getting us permission to add trails to the huge mountain scene this summer.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Tcb03c

• UND
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 07:18:59 PM »
Thought some folks might like to see the video I made riding the Maah Daah Hey trail in western ND. It would be an awesome group trip as long as no rain is in sight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI-9zOnJN-A

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 09:47:07 PM »
Nice!
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline sanders

• UND
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 10:23:31 AM »
that trail looks awesome ted!
Alone you are an athlete but on a bike you are a rocket

Offline Bents

• UND
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 02:33:11 PM »
Hello, I stopped by the booth today. I used to ride a Trek Pilot 1.0 but just a couple weeks ago I upgraded to a Fuji Comp SL1 with Sram Rival hardware.
Here's a picture http://bikereviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/fuji-sl-1-comp-sram-2010-road-bike.jpg
I got to say it is quite a fun bike to ride and it is even better considering I got it for under $2,000. Currently my bike is not at UND but I may bring it up when I go home on Labor Day weekend.

Little more about myself, I'm a freshman intending on majoring in EE with a Computer Science focus. I'm from Alexandria MN. I haven't been in a road race but I have Mt bike raced in California, it was near Lake Folsom(didn't do too well sense I just don't have the technique but it sure was fun). What got me into biking was partially due to my uncle and one of my cousins. I ran Cross Country and Track in High School but running just isn't nearly as fun as biking.

-Jared B
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 02:22:16 PM by Bents »

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 05:07:05 PM »
Hey Jared... You were talking with me and the other Dave (other Dave is the EE guy).

Glad to see you're interested. Sounds like you've got a pretty nice bike, almost everyone on the team has switched from Shimano to Sram.

If you're interested in building you're technique we can certainly help with that. Cycling is actually about 75% technique and 25% strength, endurance etc. especially for mountain biking.

Let us know if there's anything we can help with... don't forget to come check out our Alleycat as well! The Union DOES rent bikes!

Cheers!
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 09:40:09 AM »
Jared,glad to see you comming to UND and wanting to ride bikes. We have a little bit connection in Alexandria since we know the George Sr. from Alexandria bike shope. Also, one of their team members, Jordan Riley, is comming to UND as well (you might already know that). In my opinino you should do all you can to bring your bike when you go for the labor day weekend. I graduated from the EE program with Masters degree just this Summer. I have to say that it is very good program. Good luck and have a good time biking.If you join the team and decide to do some road racing, you will get to meet me next spring when the team comes to Iowa for one of the collegiate weekend racing. They will be staing at my place.
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline nodakyuppie

• UND Cycling Club
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 06:29:37 PM »
Hello,
I'm a grad student at UND and I'm no cycling pro, but I do like to fix up bikes and ride them. Own five right now:

1974 Peugeot 25.5" (road)
197? Raleigh 21" (road - women's frame)

1992 Bianchi Ibex 21.5" (mtn)
1991 Bianchi Sika 19.5" (mtn)
199? GT Outpost 19" (mtn)

I have always been interested in racing tho I know none of these are exactly racing-quality bikes - old road bikes are HEAVYYYY. I'm good at swimming and biking but I have never done a triathlon because I have bad knees. Just thought I'd say hey - I didn't know such a group existed.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:30:21 PM by nodakyuppie »

Offline Plantains

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 08:52:34 PM »
Hello,
I'm a grad student at UND and I'm no cycling pro, but I do like to fix up bikes and ride them. Own five right now:

1974 Peugeot 25.5" (road)
197? Raleigh 21" (road - women's frame)

1992 Bianchi Ibex 21.5" (mtn)
1991 Bianchi Sika 19.5" (mtn)
199? GT Outpost 19" (mtn)

I have always been interested in racing tho I know none of these are exactly racing-quality bikes - old road bikes are HEAVYYYY. I'm good at swimming and biking but I have never done a triathlon because I have bad knees. Just thought I'd say hey - I didn't know such a group existed.

Racing is a relative term. Depending on that Peugeot,  you'd be surprised. None the less... we do exist and here we are. How'd you hear about us? Or how DIDN't you rather?
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline nodakyuppie

• UND Cycling Club
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 09:23:29 AM »

Racing is a relative term. Depending on that Peugeot,  you'd be surprised. None the less... we do exist and here we are. How'd you hear about us? Or how DIDN't you rather?

A comment on my blog told me about it. [My bikes: http://ow.ly/2yvwV ] I guess I *did* know you existed, but I thought it was more of a UND team sport (organized the way Hockey or Basketball is) - Didn't know if mere mortals like myself could participate. :-\

Offline Plantains

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 02:02:10 PM »

A comment on my blog told me about it. [My bikes: http://ow.ly/2yvwV ] I guess I *did* know you existed, but I thought it was more of a UND team sport (organized the way Hockey or Basketball is) - Didn't know if mere mortals like myself could participate. :-\

HAHAHAHA! Thats awesome!

Offline gyudon

• UND
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010, 07:07:35 PM »
Hey,
I just got a road bike and im new so i dont have the tools.
can anybody help me over the weekend?

Offline Plantains

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2010, 02:11:47 PM »
What do you need to have done to it?

Offline gyudon

• UND
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2010, 02:33:30 PM »
i think all i need to do is the breaks, seat, handle section and put air into my wheels.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2010, 09:00:55 PM »
i think all i need to do is the breaks, seat, handle section and put air into my wheels.

Hmm... well, this weekend is hardly perfect for me, however... I'd anticipate that we'll be having a meeting this week (I'm hoping for wednesday) and I'd be willing to help/guide what have you...

what kind of bike is it? were you at our last meeting? what type of components (if you know) do you need your brakes cabled and handlebars taped or what? Is it an old bike, new bike etc.

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2010, 09:52:33 PM »
Nice to see new people expressing interest...

Offline gyudon

• UND
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 10:09:12 PM »
No i havent been to the meeting. i missed it.

well. so far, ive got most of the things done. maybe i might need help making the breaks more sensitive

thanks anyways

Offline Plantains

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2010, 01:51:17 PM »
No i havent been to the meeting. i missed it.

well. so far, ive got most of the things done. maybe i might need help making the breaks more sensitive

thanks anyways

If you need it done sooner, I recommend trying the local bike shop (The Ski & Bike Shop), they should have a banner on the top of our page or do a quick google search.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2010, 09:19:17 AM »
Hey gyudon, did you stop by SBS?  I think you may have met one or a few of the club members while you were there.

Hope you go this straightened out so you can come out and ride with us.

DC: I'm working at NHRG on Wednesdays.  Which really makes it a prime meeting night so I don't have to miss any rides :P
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Bedwyr

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2010, 09:29:33 AM »
Hi.

Newbie reporting.  I saw the Cyclocross ad in Harrington and thought I'd finally register and say what's up.

You have Mario to blame for me.  I've been riding a Rockhopper hardtail for 3+ years till this summer.  Mario finally helped me find a very nice Bianchi for much less than I should have gotten it and I took it down to Wichita Falls this August for the Hotter 'n Hell Hundred ride.  It was a blast.

Looking to lean out further, improve conditioning, and relearn how to swim (well) during the offseason so I've started doing crossfit and crossfit-endurance workouts at the Wellness and looking into further diet changes.

Have two other marathons under my belt, looking for more.  Ironman is the 2-3 year goal.

Be well.

Michael

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic