Author Topic: Cleaning up after Chapman  (Read 6598 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Cleaning up after Chapman
« on: January 19, 2010, 02:02:05 PM »
http://www.areavoices.com/gfhcitybeat/?blog=68730

Breaks down some monetary issues NDSU is currently facing...
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline gh

• CD Team
Re: Cleaning up after Chapman
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 12:50:21 AM »
More students are forgoing face-to-face classes for online classes. Because online credits are cheaper, NDSU is getting less tuition than it planned for. The budget said $60.4 million in tuition. The reality is $59.9 million.

That's not entirely true. It's not cheaper for the majority of students to take online classes. For online or campus classes when the tuition and fees are included it is $267.11 per credit. On-campus students get the better deal because tuition caps at 12 credits, but for online classes, there is no tuition cap, so if they take more credits, they still have to pay the additional money for each credit.  (This is for ND resident rates.)

Second, tuition waivers are bigger than expected. It was budgeted at $12.5 million. It's now $15.1 million. While the difference of $2.6 million is what NDSU could've gotten, we also have to remember that some students might not choose to attend if they didn't get the waiver.

I think tuition waivers are a good thing. Most of the tuition waivers are for grad students and a lot of them put in research hours, teaching hours, and office hours, without even getting benefits like health insurance. Other universities in other states offer health insurance. NDSU also needs to keep in mind that there are many grad students that teach the 100 and 200 level classes and it helps to cut down on costs of needing to hire a professor to teach each class. If the grad students weren't teaching these classes, tuition would increase even more ridiculously than it already has.

The additional face-to-face students, while less than expected, seemed to have caused greater than expected increases in the costs of new class sections, renting more space and paying for more instructors. The additional cost was $1.1 million.

Well, duh! Isn't that common sense?!? Increased students=more classes, more space, and more teachers. I thought that the university wanted to increase the number of students? Well, they should be prepared and should have expected that. Also, many of the science building classrooms are so small and old, that they really don't accommodate for the increased number of enrolled students at the university.

Presidential search. Budgeted at zero. Actual was $175,000. (Also not a surprise.)

Haha! I totally agree with the author on this one. If you're going to have a committee looking for a new president, it's going to cost money and time, so you better figure it in the budget!

Library funding. Budgeted at zero. Actual was $111,021.

And we wonder why North Dakota ranks so low in higher education? What about the billion dollar surplus our state had? The library at NDSU is a sad story for a library. If in 2000, only 22 percent of North Dakotans had attended some college (http://www.ers.usda.gov/Statefacts/ND.htm#PIE), maybe that should be a rude awakening that something needs to be done to fund higher education. The library at NDSU would be a good place to start. In it's current state, it's old, temperature varies in different sections of the library, the majority of the books are old, and there is just a plain lack of space because it's hard to even move through the aisles for a normal sized person.

Scholarships. Budgeted at $2,953,000. Actual was $3,015,300.

Um...Scholarships?!? Isn't that a good thing? Maybe if they would focus on giving the scholarships to students in ND/MN/SD and not the international students North Dakota would have a higher percentage of people that attended college...

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 08:21:20 PM »
What a mess and it really doesnt help with the Forum dragging NDSU through the mud.  I would like to see more articles related to students...

The budget problem is related to overspending and under budgeting.  Chapman undershot many project costs intentionally and now we are paying for it.  There was too much growth too fast without matching infrastructure.  Look at how much NDSU has had to pay over the years in overflow housing, adding more buses, and leasing offices (interestingly there is tons of room in Barry Hall for offices), etc.

We are getting way too much contradicting information, especially with numbers...  Didnt the local fund that was mentioned pay for a part of the presidents house... im pretty sure it did. Wasnt it around $200,000? 

Interestingly in the article the author is mixing and matching funds.  Some money can be moved around, but not all of it.

Good points gh, I agree.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 10:36:32 AM »
Herald comments on tuition waivers: http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/149573/

I don't think the argument is made well enough for most people in the state to understand.  If you weren't paying for graduate students with your tax dollars, you'd be paying for real faculty and having to pay a lot more.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 10:37:54 PM »
They simply dont understand it and sadly a lot dont want to listen.... this is even worse when it is legislators.
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything