Author Topic: Too Flat, Too Furious! 2011, April 30th and May 1st - planning thread  (Read 21726 times)

Josh (NDSUCC)

I really appreciate your understanding with the matter. I really wanted us to host an event, but we will have to wait on that. If there are other ways that we can help, please let me know. I will continue to check the board regularly and stay connected with all of you as the event is planned. Again, please let me know if there is anything that we can help with.

Josh

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Josh. We appreciate your help... I'm sure these other chaps will have some tasks for you and we'll DEFINITELY need volunteers for our races, but frankly... the best thing you can do to help is to get that club going again.

It seems like every year you guys get something rolling but you struggle with maintaining the momentum. If we can somehow help, let us know. We know its hard, but it's doable. It would help us as a club, you (obv) as a club, and the NCCCC as a conference to have something like this sorted out.

I hope this doesn't come across wrong. I mean it as words of encouragement.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around

I was just today reminded that we need to have the flyer out in order to avoid late fees, so I plan on getting it done and the paperwork submitted by the end of this week.

UND peeps: it's going to be a really quick month once spring break is over, so any help people can offer would be great.  Since the plan seems to be to run USAC races as well, we're going to need to find potential event sponsors as well so we can have a prize list.

Guys, use the spring break to your advantage in pulling things together for the race. No classes, no excuses.

BTW, I need to rub it in. If you guys came to our place for spring break, you would have joined my and 23 other cyclist on a solid group ride yesterday. Among them there was 4 UoI cyclist as well. Oh, did I mention it was 50 degrees and sunny?
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Special Events application for UND (for the crit) is in.  http://und.edu/student-life/safety/specialevents.cfm

Even though the city special events application people SAY they can organize things with UND, they really can't.  So we have to go through this crap.

If anyone has alternative locations for a crit in case we don't get the Ralph, I'm all ears.  I wish there were an actual loop at TRSP.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
I put down Sunday for the crit with Grand Forks.  Half of you are going to hate me for this and the other half won't care.

Someone (probably me) has to go down and sign the form at the city so they can do all this.

If people want the RR on Sunday because it will take less time, I'm down with that too.  It may not work out, but I can try for it.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Someone can work on a flyer using my guidelines at http://talk.campusdakota.com/index.php?topic=5728 (see "Basic Information").

See last year's flyer (attached) for most of the info.

Name: UND Cycling and The Blue Moose present Too Flat, Too Furious

April 30th
Criterium
Use KSU's schedule (attached to above link)
Ralph Engelstad arena
See last year's flyer

Team Time Trial
See last year's flyer

May 1st
Road Race
Use KSU's schedule
See last year's flyer

Feel free to jazz it up and/or work on a race bible as well (see link above).  Make sure our sponsors are on there.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Also include a RoadID logo:http://www.RoadID.com/logos/

I just registered for event sponsorship with them so we get 50 numbers and six $15 gift certificates to give away at the races.

Offline Alaska Unicyclist

sweeeeeet!
"It never gets easier, you just get faster" - Greg Lemond

Offline Riley

• UND
Alright here's what I've got for a poster so far. I wasn't sure what the road race times are going to be and a few other things so I'll get those on when I find them out. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Offline Plantains

It looks really good. And I'm not just saying that to get you excited.

However. It should be one page. I realize there's a lot to put on one page, and as such... you can include a link to the details.

I also recommend make it look a little less spreadsheet like. Depending on what motif you're all after, Word isn't necessarily the best program to use... that said, it can be made to look very good in word if properly utilized. I think if you go the Word route, ur design is good if you can limit the spreadsheetedness of the design.

I know beek's writeup is lengthy... but check some of the stuff out. I think he has, but I could be wrong, posted some or all of our previous fliers. If he hasn't, it would be beneficial for him to include image files with a copyright or an expired watermark across them...

Ask him for some prior examples.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Plantains

To add... I see u modeled it after that KSU flier. That flier sucks (sorry KSU) in the sense that it's simply a screen shot of a spreadsheet posted on their message board. It gets the job done, no question... but it's an overly complex way for solving a problem that shouldn't exist.

If I've helped you in any way... I'll be... surprised. But hey... at least I replied?

Offline Riley

• UND
haha yes. I think I can shorten it some. Also would it be a bad idea to just send the collegiate and USAC riders out at the same time for the crit? I think it would save time and allow for bigger fields but thats just me...is that even allowed?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
It would be allowed, but there are some riders who might want to do both a collegiate and USAC crit (Logan has done this, you can ask him).  Especially those who are trying to make upgrade points.

DC, the "flyer" for KSU was only on their website, so the screenshot is essentially mine, but I get the point that the flyer should be print-outable.  Wasn't ours from last year pretty griddy too?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Another example of USAC and NCCA races is the 2011 Tour de Husker flyer.

Should we have a Juniors race?  Do they need to be separate?  Jordan, would anyone come up?

Offline Riley

• UND
All of the juniors from my team will be too old to race juniors by the time our race is here and the next closest team is in the cities so unless they come I don't think it would be worth it. I have seen combined juniors- 4/5 races though. We could do a kids race though..just a lap or two around the Ralph. It might be a good way to get more people to come

Offline Plantains

If we could get juniors racers to come from MSP that would be rad because it might showcase that we have a cycling program nearby (aside from the U of M). Anyway we could contact them and say that if they're interested we would host a juniors race just for them?

I'm sure our fliers are griddy. Whats the deal... is it flier, or flyer? firefox doesn't like flyer.

Uhh... there was something else...

OH YEAH! This Jordan kid... I like the way he thinks. Nice work...

Offline Riley

• UND
 ;D... Yeah they might come up. The only thing is that I'm pretty sure there's a USAC race somewhere in the cities that weekend...Marty Road Race maybe..and well no offense to them but they don't travel out of their 30 mile radius...which is the cities. Maybe if we told them there will be free candy...

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
Or free beer :occasion14: , that would do the trick... :evil6:
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Plantains

Mario. They're Juniors. :colbert:

Thats silly that they only travel 30 miles. But it sounds pretty typical of people from MSP. Total homebodies. Psh.

I was thinking it would be sweet for them to do a travel race. It looks good on ur upgrade applications. And... the whole college thing would be interesting... like... they might be interested in coming to a school with an NCAA D1 Hockey championship thats recent? Not like... the uofm. Chumps.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
And... the whole college thing would be interesting... like... they might be interested in coming to a school with an NCAA D1 Hockey championship thats recent? Not like... the uofm. Chumps.

This is why we have Jordan, isn't it?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything