Author Topic: Too Flat, Too Furious! 2011, April 30th and May 1st - planning thread  (Read 21732 times)

Offline Riley

• UND
Well 30 miles might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I did look it up and there is a Road race by St. Cloud that Saturday  :-\. Even though we're in ND does anyone think it would be possible to get our race on the MCF (MN Cycling Fed) calendar? I mean were like a few miles from the boarder haha... This calendar is where most people find out about races...

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
We have Jordan because Mario recruited him  8)  JK.
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Well 30 miles might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I did look it up and there is a Road race by St. Cloud that Saturday  :-\. Even though we're in ND does anyone think it would be possible to get our race on the MCF (MN Cycling Fed) calendar? I mean were like a few miles from the boarder haha... This calendar is where most people find out about races...
This is exactly why I started Northern Plains Athletics.  No border issues.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Riley

• UND
Nice. That would be cool to get our race on that calendar

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
? http://northernplainsathletics.com/node/79

If you know the MCF people, just send them an email and ask (or I can).  Megan Kelly is the U of M coordinator.

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
and put the woooooooooooooord to the streets!
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Jordan, did you get a chance to work on the flyer?  If not I'm going to work from the file you posted and try to get the permit in today.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
UPDATED 13 April 2011 with fixes.

We. Are. Live.
https://www.usacycling.org/myusac/index.php?pagename=registration&eventid=1748&year=2011

I have not received confirmation on anything yet, but here is the finished (permit pending) flyer for those who are playing along at home.  Once I (or Jordan, who is technically the promoter this time) gets word from Larry that we're set to go, I'll update the website.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 02:05:40 PM by Sal Atticum »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Flyer has been updated in previous post.

Offline Andrew Mills

• UND
Nice job Beek,  Looks SWEET!

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Jordan did most of it.  I just added some logos and complained a lot until I got my way.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Yesterday I put up the website, put up the message board thread, and emailed everyone on our list about the race.  Sometime this weekend I will put out a call for volunteers and a press release UNLESS someone else wants to do it.

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Yesterday I put up the website, put up the message board thread, and emailed everyone on our list about the race.  Sometime this weekend I will put out a call for volunteers and a press release UNLESS someone else SHOULD to do it.

FTFY.

I'm sure people want to do it, though they probably don't know how to do it. Some of the younger guys (which I think is really just Jordan, though I don't want to pigeon hole him into it) should really get involved in this because I'll be goddamned if this club is just going to die off due to laziness. It should die off due to lack of interest only. Thats all I accept. :colbert:
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
I appreciate the sentiment.  For anyone interested in doing this (it needs to be done TODAY), there's even instructions on how to write a press release at http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=1053

I'll even look it over for you if you want.

Seriously folks, once I'm gone, do you really want to muddle your way through this by yourselves?  This is an important aspect of race promotion (it will get us press coverage before and during the race weekend) and we're already really close to the deadline.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
We should mark the King of the Mountain prime.  I found it on MapMyRide: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/31831332

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Draft press release.  If nobody complains, I'll send it out around 3 PM.  Please post if you check it so I know at least someone has...
20 April 2011                                      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

UND CYCLING TEAM AND BLUE MOOSE TO HOST CYCLING RACE WEEKEND,
APRIL 30-MAY 1
Road Race and Team Time Trial Criterium Championships Included in Two Days of Racing

The University of North Dakota Cycling Team will be hosting three road cycling race events on the weekend of April 30th and May 1st, 2011, open to collegiate and non-collegiate riders alike.  Championship events for the North Central Collegiate Cycling Conference (NCCCC) will be held in the team time trial and road race; a post-conference-championship/pre-nationals criterium (short track race) will also be held.  The NCCCC is made up of teams representing schools from Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, and Minnesota as well as North Dakota.

“It's really exciting for our program to be able to host this event for the second year running,” says Matt Burton-Kelly, Race/Event Coordinator for the UND Cycling Club, “and we're really happy to offer non-collegiate riders the opportunity to race a sanctioned USA Cycling event here in Grand Forks.”  This is the second event of 2011 for the club, which hosted “Bikecicle” (a winter mountain bike race)  in February.

Saturday will begin with a series of criterium races, during which riders will race on a course around the Ralph Engelstad Arena for a prescribed amount of time (from 30 to 60 minutes).  This course is spectator-friendly and will showcase high speeds and sharp corners.  The day will end with the team time trial, where teams of three or more riders work together to get the fastest time over a 10-mile out-and-back course on Merrifield Road.

The road race will be held on Sunday morning and is the namesake for the race weekend title “Too Flat, Too Furious,” with only 172 feet of elevation change over a 31.64 mile course.  Advanced riders will complete two laps.

Volunteers are requested to contact the team and spectators of all ages are welcomed and encouraged at all races.  The official race flyer, maps, and additional information are available from the UND Cycling Club website at http://www.und.edu/org/cycling.

The UND Cycling Club and Team is a recognized student organization at the University of North Dakota.  Their mission is to promote cycling and the cycling lifestyle throughout the Grand Forks area by holding scheduled rides, helping fellow students with bicycle maintenance, and representing UND in races throughout the region.

Mobile:   802-922-3696
Email:    [email protected]

Offline sanders

• UND
Looks great Beek!
Alone you are an athlete but on a bike you are a rocket

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
Shouldn't you mention South Dakota in the list of schools? I know there is currently no team participating, but technically SD is part of NCCCC.
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Yeah, I'll put SD in there.  Reminds me I need to email back the guy who started the Brookings club (which is now Central Plains Cycling).

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything