Author Topic: Too Flat, Too Furious! 2011, April 30th and May 1st - planning thread  (Read 21710 times)

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
Loooong way out but the weather models depict a downright nasty looking weekend with a gigantic low pressure system passing right over us.  Could see anything from thunderstorms to heavy snow... I'll keep you guys updated!

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Thanks!  I'll handle race logistics if you can work your weather magic.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
1. Can anyone go down to Scheels today and pick something up?  Contact me and I will give you the details.
2. Has anyone talked to SBS about wrenching at the crit/driving a wheel vehicle or at least borrowing the tent?
3. Note to self: find a table for registration.
4. Has anyone called The Blue Moose to let them know about Saturday night?

Offline sanders

• UND
I talked to terry last Thursday and he said he would check how many people are working at sbs, to get somebody down with the tent and stand.

I could go down to scheels

I'll email the BM today and let them know, and send a pic of our kits/ give them an update on the season
Alone you are an athlete but on a bike you are a rocket

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
You're the best president ever! :wub:

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Sanders, can you send me the notes you had about number of prizes we need to get?  I should probably get a rudimentary budget going for this race.

Who wants to go shopping with me tomorrow?  Any change you can go Logan so we can use the checkbook?  I have to volunteer at NHRG at 5 so it would be 4ish.

I will be splitting up some cassettes tonight so I need to count how many medals we need.  Do we give medals to each category (A, B, C, D) for conference champs?  Do we give TTT awards based on DI, DII?  I don't think I was involved in this at all last year.

Offline sanders

• UND
As far as I know they still lump MensA/B togeather and Womens A/B togeather. other wise yea Mens C, D and Womens C. Im pretty sure that when mario, logan, chad and I won the TTT in Nebraska last year they just did DI, and DII combined (we got the monster cookie trophy).

We had 2 primes/race which gave 20 of Logan's baked goods for prizes.

We never determined how deep we want to go for winners...if 2 deep we would need 20 prizes for the crit, 20prizes for the RR, and 4 prizes for the TTT (2 for collegiate and 2 for USAC) or we could just do medals for TTT prizes for collegiate. But this gives us 44 prizes. minus 4 prizes from scheels Gift cards, combined with some UNDCC hats.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Goooooooooood news!  Guthart has RR/TTT medals for us and is sending them up!

Offline sanders

• UND
yessssssssssssssssss!!!!

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
Current forecast...

Low should be farther north of us and a bit quicker.  Cold front passes through Friday night. 

Saturday:   Cool... temperatures in the low-mid 40s.   Chance of *light* rain/snow/mix, especially early in the day.  Winds will be decent out of the W/NW. 

Sunday:  morning will be chilly... perhaps down to freezing.   Should warm up to upper 40s-50.  Light westerly winds. Chance of showers, especially later in the day. 

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
As of now, still looks fine.  How early in the day are we talking on Saturday?  Races start at 10, are we likely looking at precip that late?  No worries if you don't know yet.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Let's skip prizes for the TTT.  Collegiate will be getting medals and I don't want to have to deal with the potential unknown number of riders on the winning USAC team(s).  That leaves 40 prizes, minus 4 from Scheels and 6 from RoadID is 30 prizes to get.  We can probably get that many prizes of comparable worth for $300 at SBS.

We have enough coins to give out for all the primes with Logan's goodies.

What did you want to do with the hats?  Give them to the USAC champs?  We could do that or throw in that amount (10) to the general prize pile and let people pick.

Thoughts?

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
Forecast basically the same except a bit colder on Sunday.  Precipitation is a bit weaker with the latest model run.  Call it hit or miss weak showers Sat morning-early afternoon.  Nothing show stopping...  temperatures will be above freezing, but it will be pretty cold aloft so it could be light rain or snow (nothing that will accumulate).

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
ou what site are you using to get ur models. Not that I think they're wrong, I'm just interested for my own nerdiness.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
www.twisterdata.com   looking at the NAM and GFS models 

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Intellicast says snow accumulating 1-2 inches over Saturday night, is this accurate???????

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
Well.... the models have changes quite a bit over the past day. They now track the low pressure JUST north of us and at a slightly slower pace.

What does this mean? Well... I have even less confidence in the forecast since we could end up something drastically different if the low tracks south/north 100 miles or quicker/slower.

At the present time...
Saturday:  Cold front passes through in the evening. As a result, we should be warmer (40-50s) and have southerly winds for the morning/afternoon before switching to W/NW.    Chance of precip the night before so roads may be wet.  With the current model runs, it looks precip-free through the morning and early afternoon.  Higher change of precipitation during the TTT.   This precipitation will occur behind the cold front and I would give a high chance of it being snow (or at least mixed with snow).

With this snow sat night, there is a risk of some minor accumulations.  Ground should be warm after this week, however, so I would expect roads to just be wet. 

Sunday looks dry... as I mentioned before it looks chilly... near freezing in the morning and warming up into the low-mid 40s.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Thanks Aaron, that makes me feel better.  I was hoping it was warm enough that any snow we had would slush up and melt pretty quickly by Sunday morning.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

For those who were present for the discussion after the meeting last night, I decided that the charge for the TTT (as a person's only race on Saturday) will be $13, which includes the daily license and the $3 insurance surcharge to USAC.  The event is as "free" as we are allowed to make it and still be sanctioned/insured for the event.  If someone does the crit, they are covered already for the day. 

We can't have people without USAC licenses, and there is no reason we should subsidize the insurance surcharge for them, but we also can't jack up the price after we say there is no charge for the TTT.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
I will be meeting with a Grand Forks Herald reporter today at 1 PM in Archives if anyone wants to come along and contribute to (or watch me stumble through) an interview about the race weekend.  Please let me know.

Woo!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic