Author Topic: Too Flat, Too Furious! 2011, April 30th and May 1st - planning thread  (Read 21711 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Volunteers click here!

Plan here.

Where are we going to hold RR/TTT/Crit?
What does NDSU want to do?
Should we throw in some USAC races as well?
Anyone else want to take the lead on this?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 04:20:41 PM by Sal Atticum »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Re: Too Flat, Too Furious 2011, April 30th and May 1st - planning thread
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:24:54 PM »
If you guys can get some USAC races I think that would be EXCELLENT since it might be a bigger draw.

I think we should definitely try to get the crit, and frankly perhaps try for 2 of the 3 events simply because we've got much more experience than NDSU and have "put our time in". Thats not to discredit those guys down there, I'm just saying... we've earned it.

How did the officials clinic go?
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 02:26:07 PM »
There are now four USAC officials in North Dakota: me, Sanders, Doublefist and Ted.

You obviously don't follow us on Twitter.  :angry7:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 02:27:02 PM by Sal Atticum »

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 02:52:06 PM »
Are we combining the race effort with NDSU this year? I agree with Dave that we should host the crit. RR, I would probably keep the same (after all it's Too Flat, right), but maybe includ some sprint primes for some prizes??
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 03:41:03 PM »
If NDSU has a good road course, give it to them. Because a TTT is worth skipping for most teams, so if we split the event, you have to give them something that people will want to go to.

Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 03:50:54 PM »
Good point.
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 10:45:02 AM »
If NDSU has a good road course, give it to them. Because a TTT is worth skipping for most teams, so if we split the event, you have to give them something that people will want to go to.

I think it would be kind of silly for us to have a TTT 80 miles away on its own anyway...

Offline sanders

• UND
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 02:13:42 PM »
yea true that! Beek have you heard anything from ndsu guy about what they want to do yet?
Alone you are an athlete but on a bike you are a rocket

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 02:20:28 PM »
I just replied to an email he sent me yesterday.  He should be along sometime soon.

Josh (NDSUCC

NDSU Cycling Club
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 07:50:17 PM »
Hey all,

My name is Josh and I'm the President of the NDSU Cycling Club. I have been conversing with Matt, and have just know found your thread. I think it is great that we are working together on this. As it was pointed out, when looking at experience, we are the weaker. Earlier I wrote to Matt expressing our interest in hosting the RR and the TTT. I understand that UND would like to host the Crit and that is wonderful. I was also under the impression that the RR and the TTT are usually on the same day, which is why we went for those two. If they do not have to be on the same day, I feel that the best move would be to have NDSU hosting 1 event and UND hosting the other 2.

Our only preference, if we are allowed, would be to host an event on Saturday, not Sunday. In terms of what event we would host, you guys have the experience to know what is successful and we would trust your judgment on that. I saw someone post about the TTT and that it seems to be the weakest of the three events. Is the RR what we should proceed with?

Thoughts?

Josh Peterson

Offline Plantains

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 12:53:10 AM »
1. The events can be setup on any day in any order really.
2. In our conference since it's so bleeding huge, we generally host 2 events on saturday and one on sunday. This is because people will be arriving very late friday/early saturday, and need to leave earlier on sunday.
3. If you guys hosted an event, it would make the most sense to host yours in a way that shortens the drive. So, you could look at hosting events on saturday, or on sunday. My thinking leads me to suggest you should host yours on sunday because then they'd be able to leave earlier and be closer. However, saturday is the double event day (generally) and they'd be able to sleep in a little more?

My primary concern would be that if you hosted 2 events on saturday, people might just say screw coming up to grand forks for the one event on sunday since that would essentially "add 2 hours" to their drive home time.

My advice would be to have UND do the 2 events on saturday, and NDSU to do the one event on Sunday. I think teams will be less inclined to just leave then since you guys are on the way out of state anyways.

I also think you guys hosting a road race would be the best.

Let it be said though, I've graduated so what I have to say is generally meaningless. But at least this gives you some idea of how the weekends work.

Offline Mario

• UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 09:07:02 AM »
My suggestion:

Saturday at UND: Crit starting at around 10-11 (people can still get some sleep after driving), and in the afternoon, TT.
 Sunday at NDSU, RR or Circuit type race, starting around 9ish (enough time for people to get some sleep and drive down to Fargo, but yet early so that they have 3/4 of a day to travel back home)

Offline sanders

• UND
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 01:07:17 PM »
Very good points, I think It would be best as you guys pointed out, do the crit and TTT on saturday at UND. With the crit in the morning and the TTT around 4pm.  Then the Road Race on sunday in Fargo at NDSU. What do you think Josh?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:08:28 PM by sanders »
Alone you are an athlete but on a bike you are a rocket

Josh (NDSUCC)

I think those are very good points and it makes total sense to set it up this way, especially when considering driving distance. We would love to have the RR at NDSU. Is this what we are deciding on then?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Let's run with this.  It sounds good to me.

Josh (NDSUCC)

Works for us!

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
We (I) will get started on the flyer to get all the details down on paper as they come up.  I'm planning on calling the whole weekend "Too Flat, Too Furious" again.  Josh, up here we'll be going through the Public Information Center for Grand Forks, which organizes all the different departments that need to sign off on events within the city limits (http://www.grandforksgov.com/gfgov/home.nsf/Pages/Special+Events).  I don't know if you have something similar for Fargo, but I can send you the paperwork we have and you can make sure you have things checked off for your course, like letting the police know and finding a location for parking and all that.

You can find some good info under "Promotor Resources" on this page: https://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=1053 and also in the USAC rulebook for Collegiate races: https://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=4220

I'm sure the folks at Great Northern will be a great help, but keep these things in mind when you're looking for road courses:
- parking
- water (not necessary, but nice, and should be marked on flyer if not available)
- bathrooms (not necessary, but nice, and should be marked on flyer if not available)
- distance (see USAC rulebook for appropriate distances)  If you can't find a good long loop, a circuit race is a possibility too.
- how many marshals needed (nice to have two per corner/intersection so people don't get bored)
- start/finish area (length of straightaway, in rulebook)
- road conditions (it's okay to have a rough or even gravel section, but people need to know about it; otherwise try to keep on smooth roads)
- traffic (good to stay away from heavily trafficked roads)
- seasonal traffic (shouldn't be a huge problem, but is during, say, beet season)
- good sections for king of the mountain or sprint points
- wind (it's always windy, but you can try to think about it)

Come on folks, other ideas?  This doesn't need to be a limited conversation.  Any more NDSU kids?
- What should we do for prizes?
- Josh, how do you guys feel about hosting a USAC RR as well?

Offline Plantains

Hosting a USAC RR would be awesome because there will be people there (in fargo I mean) that actually race USAC. That said, it's also a FANTASTIC way to gain awareness for your club, sell jerseys, and generally garner some support from the community.

It's also an excellent media event.

Josh (NDSUCC)

UND Cycling Club and members,

I have been looking at what it will take to host a race at NDSU. I called into Great Northern Bicycle and talked to Tom about everything that it would take. After working with him, talking to the city, and working through your list, there are a couple things that I need to inform you on.

First is budgeting. Because of leadership issues from last year, we do not have a budget for any expenses for this year and as I have been crunching numbers, we simply do not have any money to host such an event.

Second, I do not have the support that I was hoping I would get from the club. I have sent another email out to the club asking for volunteers to come forth, but right now I am working on this by my self. I am student teaching in Pelican Rapids during the week which means that I am only in Fargo on the weekends and it has been extremely difficult for me to stay in contact with everyone.

What this all says to me is that I think our club, as much as we have grown this year, isn't ready to take on such a large event so soon.

I know this isn't what everyone wanted to hear right now, but if we want this event to be as successful as possible, I think it would be wise if we reevaluated our decision to host the RR.

Thoughts?

Sincerely,

Josh Peterson

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Josh, I know where you're coming from.  If you're rebuilding the club it's going to take a couple years to have a solid group of people you can count on.  I'm glad you've been trying to find volunteers this early, because it makes it easier to change things.  At this point, I'd suggest we (UND) take care of hosting the race this year and you guys can focus on racing (if you're sending people this year) or coming up to help (if people change their minds and want to see how it works).

I was just today reminded that we need to have the flyer out in order to avoid late fees, so I plan on getting it done and the paperwork submitted by the end of this week.

UND peeps: it's going to be a really quick month once spring break is over, so any help people can offer would be great.  Since the plan seems to be to run USAC races as well, we're going to need to find potential event sponsors as well so we can have a prize list.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything