Author Topic: KU Race News (April 9-10 2011)  (Read 6122 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
KU Race News (April 9-10 2011)
« on: April 06, 2011, 09:53:34 PM »
Flyer: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0Bz6_15GpzBNlMjgyOWI4YjYtNzE3ZS00MzZkLWFkYTctZTA1ZWViNmE1YWJi&hl=en

More information after tomorrow's meeting.

If you want to get on Twitter and communicate with us this weekend, hopefully we'll be a little more on the ball with replying to people if they "@UNDCycling" us.

http://www.twitter.com/undcycling
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Alaska Unicyclist

Re: KU Race News (April 9-10 2011)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 04:17:55 PM »
SICK
"It never gets easier, you just get faster" - Greg Lemond

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 04:40:13 PM »
You're sick?

Is anyone well this weekend?

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 12:00:08 AM »
I'm well... but not mentally.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 09:08:41 AM »
I'm not well, unfortunately.  You guys do not want to sit in the van with me for a 12-hour stretch and listen to me whine.

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 09:38:16 AM »

Dave,we all wanted to tell you that long time ago, we just didn't want to hurt your feelings... :evil6:
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 10:05:05 AM »

Dave,we all wanted to tell you that long time ago, we just didn't want to hurt your feelings... :evil6:

I feel like thats a lie. I can recount numerous times when you've all told me I was insane. Haha....
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 06:21:09 PM »
One photo with a piece of a UND rider

So glad I have to go to U of M's Facebook page to get any news from today.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 10:04:21 PM »
Dude... what size is Boening's bike! Like a 70cm!!!!!!!!

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 09:31:14 AM »
NICE MILLS!  2nd place in D RR yesterday!

Sanders and Logan 5th and 7th  in A/B, respectively.

5th in TTT.

Full results: http://nc-cycling.com/?p=82

Offline Plantains

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 11:43:18 AM »
Whoa... nccycling is still a website? lol.

Nice work lads.

Jordan didn't make the trip either?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:45:18 AM by Plantains »

Offline Riley

• UND
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 12:52:39 PM »
No  :( I had to be at class late on friday afternoon and I have a test early monday morning

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 05:23:28 PM »
Riley, did you get the permit in?

I just got off the phone with Sanders to let him know about the flooding on I29 north of Fargo.  Here are the updates from today that I wrote down:
Men's A/B road race
42-mile course, hot and hilly.  Going into the finish there was a three-man break off the front (Buntz, Farnham, Severs) and a huge friggin' hill.  The chase went out with Evans, Sanders, Weinberg (KU) and I think Matson (UMTC); Weinberg broke off the front of the chase, Evans and Matson fell back, and Sanders got stuck soloing trying to catch Weinberg before the finish.  As I understand it that left Sanders in 5th and Matson beat Evans in the sprint.

Men's D road race
Mills ended up first in the sprint after Warrior (KU) soloed off the front so he gets second in his first collegiate road race!

Team Time Trial
Since it was so windy, our three-man TTT team was at a disadvantage to compete with the larger teams, but Evans and Sanders shepherded Mills in to get 5th place.  Not sure how the course was for this.

Men's A/B criterium
Evans got 4th in the end after Sanders blew a tire and crashed out with two laps to go.  There were two guys off the front so they were sprinting for 3rd at that point.  Sanders says he has some road rash but he's okay.

Men's D criterium
Mills finished 2nd AGAIN to the same guy (Warrior, KU) who soloed off the front of the road race yesterday--and who also soloed off the front of the criterium today (upgrade?).  This means that Mills put the hammer down on everyone in the sprint in the end two days in a row--nice job!

Offline Plantains

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 09:37:16 PM »
Mills. HUGE race. HUGE. I can't express that enough. Remember how at the beginning of the year we sat there and I talked about how if you put in the hard work, our program would have you ready to race come spring. And look... here you are in what amounts to your first races kicking ass and taking names.

That said, you've been a pretty strong rider all along. Just remember how it all went so when new guys show up, you can tell them and they'll believe it!

That said, I'm not in any way shape or form trying to steal your thunder. It sounds like you went out and did exactly what the team expected you to do.

If that other guy upgrades... thats his call. In terms of you upgrading, thats up to your teammates. Personally... having been away since December obviously, I would advise against it unless you're simply off the front in every single race. The D-Races have such a revolving door of competition because so many riders only show up when they feel like it. So you may find some late season guys that can pace you. If not... I'd say ride in or at the front of the pack, go after every break away that you have the legs and the lungs to chase, and get them before the line. This way, you'll learn how to ride in a dynamic pack, hopefully you'll have Jordan to work with as a teammate and learn how to work together and communicate, and you won't just bump up to C and cause a crash.

Remember, D isn't about winning as much as it's about learning and building confidence.

So proud of you though.

Logan and Sanders... also proud of you guys. But I also know what you guys are capable of. Just don't think that I forgot about you chaps upping to B's and being able to hang.

This teams growth has just been incredible.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 09:38:39 PM »
Also Mills... I'm sure you could probably beat the guy who keeps nipping you. I suspect he's just outsmarting you without you realizing it. If you learn when to go and when to stay, I bet you'd have him all day long. Talk to your teammates. Use it for more motivation.

Offline Mario

• Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired
  • UND
  • Crossing around
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 07:52:15 AM »
NIce work to all of you guys. It looks like there was quite a bit of riders that weekend and you guys still finished at the top. Proud of ya!What happened with the crit? Got cancelled?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:53:02 AM by Mario »
The minimum number of bikes one should own is three.  The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.  This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline Andrew Mills

• UND
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 01:11:09 PM »
Thanks, Dave,    It was a really fun weekend and I am glad the team got me ready enough to compete.   The Kansas guy went off the front right away and stayed there, so I didn't think it was smart to chase him immediately.  About two-thirds through the race I saw him about a half mile up, but I wasn't sure I had enough steam to catch him.  Also a group of two Minnesota riders and one other ride were closing in on me.  So i decided to slow a little to let them catch me and I rode with them until the last half mile then took off again for the finish.  I am not sure if i did the right thing or not, but it seemed to work out okay.  The kansas guys seemed pretty strong, and I am not sure if i could have held on.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 01:27:56 PM »
For your first race... there is no "right thing". The right thing is to finish and survive. Getting second place is typically above and beyond. Remember that for the next race. Because if you don't finish in second or higher, it doesn't mean you aren't getting better. Sometimes it's just the way the cookie crumbles.

There are many scenario's that I can advise you on for how to handle such a situation. But I'll defer to your team mates. They should be able to provide enough insight (and bickering) as to how to approach the situation. Remember, just because other riders are on a different team doesn't mean you can't use them. You just need to use them properly. In the end, you're the rider looking down the road and you have to make the choice while you're in glycogen debt.

That said... I'm sure you'll be fine. Just keep having fun!

Offline Riley

• UND
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 04:59:37 PM »
Mills!!! Way to go man keep it up!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything