Author Topic: What is the best place to eat in Grand Forks?  (Read 16625 times)

Offline commando eli

• UND
What is the best place to eat in Grand Forks?
« on: October 04, 2006, 02:43:23 PM »
Where is everyone eating on/off campus?  I really like mama maria's....are there any other secret hole in the wall kinds of places that people frequent?
You would be surprised what matt will do for a cookie and a glass of orange juice. -rvb

Offline wxgirl

• UND
Re: What is the best place to eat in Grand Forks?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 10:09:00 PM »
I have had some good food at Ground Round .... drinks too.

I do not have a fav. place to go to yet ... probably because I have only been here since August and ... not big on going to restuarants by myself.

"Celebrate we will for life is short but sweet for certain"~DMB

Offline asnyder

• UND
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 11:42:01 PM »
Grand Junction Grilled Subs is easily the best place to eat in Grand Forks. I recommend their philly steak, or their chicken courdon bleu, and the wisconsin cheese soup is to die for.... the garlic bread is also very good. Skip the fries though, they're pretty blah.

Offline commando eli

• UND
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 10:41:08 AM »
I love grand junction!!!  What are some other places?
You would be surprised what matt will do for a cookie and a glass of orange juice. -rvb

Offline commando eli

• UND
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 10:54:50 AM »
is there any good food downtown?

Offline commando eli

• UND
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 02:27:42 PM »
Has anyone tried out the pita pit yet?

Offline talksalot83

• UND
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 06:31:39 PM »
I have a friend going to the Pita Pit tonight. I'll ask her about it and get back with you guys.

Offline commando eli

• UND
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 06:58:48 PM »
thanks!

Offline wxgirl

• UND
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 10:26:19 PM »
Pita Pita was good eats back in Mt. P so I dunno why it would be different here. ^^

Offline lynsey

• UND
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 11:13:22 PM »
Dakota Harvest Bakers, on 3rd Street in downtown, is awesome! I've heard good things about The Toasted Frog as well, but I've never been there.

Offline wxgirl

• UND
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 11:29:22 PM »
Actaully does anyone know of any place here that sells sushi?  I have been wanting it for a long time, but do not know of a place here that would sell it.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 10:10:19 AM »
The Toasted Frog won't let you in if you aren't 21.  It sort of sucks.  They're driving themselves into the ground.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline lynsey

• UND
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 01:32:05 PM »
Konnechiwa's has sushi. I love it,but it's the only sushi I've ever had, so I don't really know that much about sushi. It's in a little strip mall next to Menard's, just off 42nd and 32nd.

Offline wxgirl

• UND
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 09:50:34 PM »
Konnechiwa's has sushi. I love it,but it's the only sushi I've ever had, so I don't really know that much about sushi. It's in a little strip mall next to Menard's, just off 42nd and 32nd.

THANKS ^_^ I will have to go there sometime this week then.  Yeah, I kinda got spoiled going to AnnArbor and E. Lansing for sushi ... they had some awesome places to eat there.  But let me tell you NEVER EVER get squid!  That shit looks like a grub and has the texture of a tire!   XP.   But as long as they have some spicy tuna I will be happy happy.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 10:08:40 PM »
If you have cooked calimari, it can be pretty good.  I wouldn't know about raw . . .

Offline commando eli

• UND
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 01:52:54 PM »
I love spicy tuna!

Offline wxgirl

• UND
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 10:34:27 PM »
I love spicy tuna!
YEAH!  Yeah there was a roll back in E.Lansing that was called a Kamikazi roll that had spicy tuna and spicy yellowtail in it and some cucumbers in it too.  It was wrapped in nori then covered in another layer of rice and sesame seeds .... it was soooo goood!  ^_^

Hmmmm maybe I will head over there on Thursday or Friday ... my work load has been pretty light this week.

Offline jevart

• UND
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 12:35:01 PM »
Actaully does anyone know of any place here that sells sushi?  I have been wanting it for a long time, but do not know of a place here that would sell it.

Well, you could go to Konichiwa's on 42nd Ave, but it's overpriced horrible-tasting sushi that is anything but fresh. If you want half-way decent sushi, go to Yuki-Hana in Fargo. If you want real sushi, go to the west coast.

Offline Stonegateguy

• UND
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 07:52:51 PM »
Al's on washington (next to the light store). Small family run type resturant good food reasonable prices.

Offline Tug Driver

• UND
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 05:00:43 PM »
Pita Pita was good eats back in Mt. P so I dunno why it would be different here. ^^

Mt. P, MI??  do we have a fellow Chip here?  by your screen name i would guess that you a follower of Dr. Mower?

Offline wxgirl

• UND
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2006, 01:08:58 AM »

Mt. P, MI??  do we have a fellow Chip here?  by your screen name i would guess that you a follower of Dr. Mower?

You are good ^_^  ... yup CMU class of 2006 and yes had Dr Mower for a lot of my undergrad career.  FIRE UP CHIPS!  Hoping to see them at the Motor City Bowl because I will be back in MI for that ^_^

Offline fuzniznaz

• UND
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2006, 03:14:57 PM »
There's quite a few good eats to be found in Grand Forks actually. I would skip the sushi... but if you've never had it before you'll be fine, so go for Konechiwas. I've moved away from ole GF, but I think these restaurants are still in town.

The best burger in town, by far, without a doubt, can be found at "The Hub", which is a bar. I'm not sure of the age limitations, but it's amazing. The Hub burger can bring tears to a grown man's eyes. [The Hub is located on N. 3rd, kiddy corner from the Toasted Frog]

The best (and most interesting/varied) food in town is found at the Parrot's Cay, also a bar. The cooks have some lateral influence as to what they cook each month, so the "Cook's Special" will change month to month; I've had an amazing shephard's pie there, as well as some incredible creole/cajun food. Chicken strips kick ass, and if you ask for hot wings, get the 13s. You get a shirt if you eat the whole dozen. 21+ only. Sorry kiddies! [The Parrot's Cay is located in the same building as the Valley Dairy WAAAY south on Washington. Near Landeco Lane if that helps at all]

I know this next one is very contestable for some people, but for my money you just CANNOT beat Shangri-La for asian cuisine. I live in Massachusetts now, and I --still-- crave their eggrolls (handmade at the restaurant) and their curry beef (stunningly good). This is a family owned establishment; it was passed down from the current owners' grandparents who opened it. If you haven't been there I HIGHLY suggest it. The consumme soup is still, to this day, the best I've ever had. All ages. [Found in the same strip mall thingy as the DownUNDer. It's on 42nd street, near the Dakota Bookstore and Red Pepper].

Speaking of which, I've heard the Red Pepper's quality has gone down, but that matters very little: The RP is a Grand Forks/UND institution. Eat there or forever feel ashamed.

For good diner food you can go to the I29 (found on... Interstate 29) but I prefer the Emerald Grill, which is off Gateway, near the Perkins.

Best pizza is found at the Mike's Pizza, a little joint directly next to Whitey's in East Grand Forks. I wouldn't order it for delivery (it's a bit pricey) but the sauce and crust are absolutely awesome, and if you're 21+ (or have a convincing fake) they have a $5 minipizza/beer special. Great value. All ages, 21+ to drink/sit at the bar.

OK. The greatest secret while I was at UND was the little cafe found in the basement of the Museum of Art on campus (I'm serious). I've heard they may have changed their menu..? But last year it was amazing food, interesting, often organic, and very, VERY reasonably priced. I think they only do lunch, but it's well worth your time. The place will be packed with professors and students. Do it, it's great. Order the hummus [Across the parking lot from Twamley]

Mexican food: Stay away from La Campana/Paradiso and Mexican Village. Paradiso is overpriced and the food is microwaved (the margaritas are good though, so if you want to just eat chips and get drunk... well it's pretty good for that). Mexican Village is VERY unpredictable. Sometimes the food is adequate, or even slightly above average, but sometimes its so cold, recooked, and disgusting as to be mildly frightening. The best mexican food available in GF, I would say, is the little mexican place that is in East Grand Forks just a little past Cabelas. I can't remember the name, but it's pretty tasty, the food always seemed fresh cooked, and the portions are hefty.

There are tons of other places to eat: Whitey's, Sander's, Toasted Frog, et al., but the above are probably my favorite places to eat that are distinct. Whitey's is awesome, but it's just traditional american cuisine.

Eat, Drink ... and be Merry!

fuz

Offline lynsey

• UND
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 01:00:02 PM »
Fuz, I think the only "Mexican" place left in EGF right now is The Red Pepper (East). Tortilla Flats closed in April, and Paolo's closed this summer or fall.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 03:53:00 PM »
I've been sort of keeping my mouth shut on the whole restaurant thing, but I have to say that I enjoy going to Paradiso--because it tastes Mexican enough to me and you can get a lot of food.  If you put the same ingredients in, who cares if you microwave it or cook it on a stove?  I've never had a problem with the taste.

Mostly what bothers me about this town is that (nearly) everyone has their favorite restaurant--and everyone's favorite is a chain.  So Applebees has great drinks, so what?  You can get the same thing at any other Applebees in the world, or at the Ground Round.  There are a whole lot of places that double as bars, like the Toasted Frog, which is nice, but it doesn't have all that much atmosphere to it. 

So if I were going to go out for a seriously good meal, where would it be?  Say I want to go out somewhere fantastic and drop $200 on a meal for two people--are there any upscale places in Grand Forks?

Offline jbaker

• UND
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 02:14:19 AM »
parrots cay hands down.  freakin AWESOME food.  stuff you wont find elsewhere.  and really reasonbly priced.  has great atmosphere too.

other mentions:

mama marias.  good food, sometimes weird hours though.

toasted frog.  good food, little spendy, great place to drink as well.  classy.

wings cafe at the airport.  really.  best UND-made food by far.

Offline fuzniznaz

• UND
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 10:41:44 AM »
I've been sort of keeping my mouth shut on the whole restaurant thing, but I have to say that I enjoy going to Paradiso--because it tastes Mexican enough to me and you can get a lot of food.  If you put the same ingredients in, who cares if you microwave it or cook it on a stove?  I've never had a problem with the taste.
-----

I'm not sure why you've been "keeping your mouth shut" regarding good places to eat. Naturally your opinion is wanted just as much as anyone elses, yes? Paradiso is what it is. I'm not sure what "tasting Mexican enough" means, but the food isn't particularly tasty. They -don't- put the same ingredients in as a higher-quality Mexican food joint, and beyond that the microwave/stove issue seems rather intuitive. If that was actually a question, then the answer is "I care". Microwaved food makes the plate insanely hot, usually makes a crust on the top of whatever the food is, and overall changes the consistency and quality of the food that is prepared. Considering you're asking where someone can spend $200 on a meal you'd think you'd be a little more conscious of the different qualities imbued in a food via different preparation methods.

That said, there are certainly people that like the place (I, for one, enjoy the steak fajitas while I'm there), but as a general rule I wouldn't say it's high-caliber Mexican food. The question was where are the -best- places to eat in town, not where are adequate places to eat.

Mostly what bothers me about this town is that (nearly) everyone has their favorite restaurant--and everyone's favorite is a chain.  So Applebees has great drinks, so what?  You can get the same thing at any other Applebees in the world, or at the Ground Round.  There are a whole lot of places that double as bars, like the Toasted Frog, which is nice, but it doesn't have all that much atmosphere to it. 
------

After defending the Paradiso chain, this seems like a rather odd gripe. Is the scale of the chain what bothers you?

So if I were going to go out for a seriously good meal, where would it be?  Say I want to go out somewhere fantastic and drop $200 on a meal for two people--are there any upscale places in Grand Forks?
------

Sander's is the only place that has the sort of prices you're looking for. If Toasted Frog is lacking atmosphere, I'm not sure you'll find Sander's to be a significant improvement, nevertheless it's the "classiest" place in town. You can buy a tremendously expensive bottle of wine and drop $50-75/plate if you so desire. Grand Forks isn't exactly the type of town to have a lot of extremely upscale dining establishments, wouldn't you agree? I think the simple truth of the matter is that most high-priced restaurants would struggle to stay afloat (reference: Lola's, the Italian place that was located where Toasted Frog is now). The food culture in Grand Forks rarely has people who are anxious to spend $200 on a meal (present company excluded, naturally); rather I think the average Grand Forksian (if I might coin a term) is either interested in quality food at an affordable price, or large portions at an affordable price. As a predominantly middle-class and student-class town, the niche for $200/meal restaurants is very small, and I don't think there is much room for anyone else after Sander's.

On an unrelated note, I've heard Dakota Harvest has amazing sandwiches and great help.

Best,

Fuz.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 10:50:38 AM by fuzniznaz »

Offline fuzniznaz

• UND
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
Fuz, I think the only "Mexican" place left in EGF right now is The Red Pepper (East). Tortilla Flats closed in April, and Paolo's closed this summer or fall.

Ah, Paolo's was the place I was thinking of. It's a shame it closed! Alas, another one bites the dust.

Fuz.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 06:38:44 PM »
Quote from: fuzniznaz
The question was where are the -best- places to eat in town, not where are adequate places to eat.

You've got me right there.  Sorry, I was in sort of a bad mod when I posted before.  :D

Let's return to the topic--I like pizza, what's the BEST (not the most adequate ;) ) pizza place in town?

Offline red hibiscus

• UND
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2007, 10:08:04 PM »
Rhombus Guys (a new pizza & pub) on Kittson Ave. is a-mazing :)

Offline RedSoxRule

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2007, 04:53:11 PM »
I've always been a Red Pepper guy! Like the Blue Moose after hockey games, too. Good late night specials.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2007, 07:30:12 PM »
Mmm, I was just talking about late night food at the Blue Moose.

Welcome to the board!  Glad to see you posting.

Now I'm hungry.  Dinnertime.

Offline sscamaro1967

• UND
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2007, 11:02:40 PM »
Thursday nights at Bdubs for 50cent boneless wings is a good passtime.  also if you got some $$$$$ the texas roadhouse is very good.  or if you like an assortment of goodies i garauntee you would enjoy the golden coral, with water its about $9 but for $9 i had 2 steaks, chicken wrapped in bacon, bbq beef, and an assortment of other goodies....needless to say i was pretty much misserable the rest of the night.....great food but definately ate to much.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2007, 11:13:40 PM »
Welcome all to the board!
CampusDakota.com

Offline SoonerNSioux

• UND
    • www.ontheplains.com
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2007, 11:49:51 PM »
I wish we had a Juanos (spelling?) in GF.  Best Mexican I've had in ND thus far.  I feel I have a fairly decent taste for Mexican considering I lived in OK for 6 years ;)

Aaron

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic