Author Topic: Cell Phone Service Providers.  (Read 5902 times)

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Cell Phone Service Providers.
« on: March 22, 2008, 06:44:14 PM »
You cats that have your cellphone services here may or may not have known that GFK is NOT cingular/ATT friendly.

It costs them more money to provide services here than they make apparently and I had heard from reliable sources that Cing/ATT canceled their contracts after about 6 months of service up here.

Well, I found out today that my contract (even though its a family plan and there are still 4 other phones operating in NY) will be terminated April 21st.

Wondering whose got what service out here and if you got any neato deals, and good/bad stuff you've heard.

Thanks squad.

~DC
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• UND
Re: Cell Phone Service Providers.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 08:49:25 AM »
Verizon works well, I think better than Alltel or whatever else weird services they have in the area.
IT'S A TRAP!!!!1!

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 08:55:43 AM »
We were giving Verizon a heavy look. Mainly because back home its essentially Cingular/ATT, Verizon, or Sprint. Theres dozens of others... like criket, alltell, blue, yadda yadda yadda, but they're all second rate out that way.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 10:23:02 PM »
I like verizon for coverage. Hate them as a company. They lock out features on phones because it doesn't "Fit their business model" aka we want to charge for that instead of leave it activated for free use.

I was on verizon for 3 years, then my work switched my phone to sprint, which after the initial setup cluster F&^*K its been fine, although its alot of extended service where I go. But i love my MotoQ and the unlimited internet, and the Built in GPS, google maps on the phone has never been as great. Combine that with Google 411 and I really never have much use for the phone book anymore!

Alltell's gaining ground in my book with their circle thing, although verizon i think just did an unlimited minutes plan again lately. txting is the big thing for me along with a data package, as everything goes to my phone. so sprint has the best packages for that if you can get on their SERO packages.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 02:04:27 AM »
Only been to GF a few times but Sprint works great in a lot of the state.  But I suppose that may not help you out if there are dead spots in GF... though I think it is covered pretty well.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 01:22:26 PM »
Yeah man... Cingular/ATT works excellent as well. With the exception of a couple dead spots downtown. but Im cool with that because it works AMAZING in NY.

But those idiots don't have a tower here. They lease one, so allegedly Im costing them mor emoney than they've been able to make off of our fam plan for the last like... 8 years.  ::)

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 06:57:36 PM »
sprint is bad when you get anywhere out off the interstates...

manvel.... hit and miss.

New Rockford... BAD!!

Wilton.... NOPE NOTHING!

Park River... So so.

North of GF on I-94? HORRIBLE

That good old 3 mile area around buxton?? CAN YOU SAY ANALOG!! WOOO

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 11:01:03 PM »
sprint is bad when you get anywhere out off the interstates...

manvel.... hit and miss.

New Rockford... BAD!!

Wilton.... NOPE NOTHING!

Park River... So so.

North of GF on I-94? HORRIBLE

That good old 3 mile area around buxton?? CAN YOU SAY ANALOG!! WOOO

It depends.  I have been fine in Minot, Valley City, Tower City, Northwood, and others.  I will let you know how Dickinson is after this weekend.

But I suppose the question was about GF.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 11:30:23 AM »
Yeah... we ended up with Verizon. When i talk with other people... pretty much everyone hates one cell phone provider. I really liked cingular... my stupid family just didn't talk on the phone enough in NY to prevent them from booting us from their service.

I get service downtown now tho.

Offline Meest

• UND
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 08:23:44 AM »
My biggest gripe with sprint is that half the time I'm not on THEIR network, its extended. Then my data doesn't work well at all, I get extra charges. I hate it. Where as verizon I didn't have that issue with their data, although it cost more. Cell phone service just seems bad too. Was out at Thompson yesterday... NO BARS! i thought it was some sick joke...

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 09:40:47 AM »
Thats what caused cingular to drop us. Because when I started using the majority of the minutes on our fam plan our phones switched from "cingular" to "cingular extend". Cingular had told me before I came here that the service would be provided by leased towers.

The other half of my fam uses sprint and they get pretty splotchy reception even in solid coverage areas. Like... between rooms in their house. Granted... this could be due to the construction of the building... but with cingular I could get reception anywhere. On highways... off highways... ski country... other rooms... everywhere EXCEPT my one friends basement (which may or may not be a nuclear bunker) and downtown GFK (which may or may not be a nuclear bunker).

Offline ajekt

• NDSU
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 02:48:05 PM »
Whatever happened to that balloon idea to better coverage?  I will see if I can find an article on it.
N-D-S-U ... Goooooo Bison!

Offline JakeJZG

• SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    • tl;dr
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 08:22:12 PM »
T-Mobile works like hell, Alltel - haven't had one problem.
Use Windows?  Want to know a better way?
Come join the East Dakota Linux Users Group!
http://talk.campusdakota.com/index.php?board=111.0
http://www.tldr.de/~edlug/

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 11:34:26 AM »
T-Mobile works like hell, Alltel - haven't had one problem.

How is Alltel nationwide?
CampusDakota.com

Offline JakeJZG

• SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    • tl;dr
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 05:34:38 PM »
I honestly haven't had any problems in Florida or up here.  It had as large a network as Verizon I believe.
Use Windows?  Want to know a better way?
Come join the East Dakota Linux Users Group!
http://talk.campusdakota.com/index.php?board=111.0
http://www.tldr.de/~edlug/

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic