Poll

Should North Dakota Repeal all Blue Laws

Author Topic: North Dakota Blue Laws... Are they needed?  (Read 9596 times)

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
North Dakota Blue Laws... Are they needed?
« on: January 23, 2011, 09:38:22 PM »
The Forum recent featured an article about the blue laws in North Dakota.  A blue law essentially does not allow certain businesses to open until a certain time on Sundays.

Historically, the blue laws were implemented for religious reasons and did not allow any business to be open on Sunday.  What do you think?  Do the laws overstep or are they needed? What do you think and why?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:39:01 PM by pmp6nl »
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: North Dakota Blue Laws... Are they needed?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 10:02:07 AM »
I think the laws are kind of goofy, but at least in this region where it seems like a lot of people go to church on Sunday, it makes slightly more sense because it allows more people to be there.

That being said, those religions whose followers worship on Saturday (or any other day of the week) don't get any special accommodations, so I think we should let businesses be open or closed on Sunday as they see fit.  Or any other day of the week.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 10:39:31 PM »
I think the laws are kind of goofy, but at least in this region where it seems like a lot of people go to church on Sunday, it makes slightly more sense because it allows more people to be there.

That being said, those religions whose followers worship on Saturday (or any other day of the week) don't get any special accommodations, so I think we should let businesses be open or closed on Sunday as they see fit.  Or any other day of the week.

:thumbsup:

I agree, it should be up to the business.
CampusDakota.com

Sherry

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 08:43:21 PM »
I think that the Blue law in North Dakota is rediculous.  I think that it should be up to the businesses to decide when they will open for business.  If it was for "religious" reasons, then those people who don't want to shop before noon on Sunday don't have to. 

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 09:58:39 PM »
I think that the Blue law in North Dakota is rediculous.  I think that it should be up to the businesses to decide when they will open for business.  If it was for "religious" reasons, then those people who don't want to shop before noon on Sunday don't have to. 

I agree with you.  When I first moved to ND I was very surprised, I didnt quite no what to think.  It really should be up to the business, it seems a bit of an overstep for government.  I wonder if this has ever been challenged in court?
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything