Author Topic: Texting in class? Professor walks out.  (Read 5130 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Texting in class? Professor walks out.
« on: April 05, 2008, 11:15:19 AM »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Texting in class? Professor walks out.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 12:02:46 PM »
I think walking out on all of the students was a little over the top.  Punishing all students for the action of one (a few)?  Did anyone else have any thoughts about the whole race thing being thrown in there?

I wonder how texting compares to note passing, doodling, not paying attention, and sleeping etc. in the level of disrespect?
CampusDakota.com

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • UND
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 12:07:17 AM »
Haven't read the article yet but I see texting or any of the other things pmp6nl listed as humoring and that is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves EVAR!

Its a serious problem in aerospace since they "give" us laptops to use. Obv no one uses them to look at power points.

stupid UND.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 10:09:15 PM »
Laptops can be terrible for the classroom.  I dont bring one because I will be tempted to send emails or browse the net.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 09:21:13 AM »
Yeah... the trick with aerospace is that alot of the profs expect you to have it because its listed as "required materials" so you could be sitting there and they say take out ur laptop or something.

I always bring mine because it doesn't matter if it gets damaged. But I always put it in my bag when the profs are talking. I'll stick with my photo memory.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 09:34:20 AM »
I think this guys reasoning was rock solid. I largely disagree with him pointing out the race, and I see his point but it still shouldn't matter. The whole argument of a minority should respect a minority more than a majority is ridiculous. Its reverse racism.

He appears to be a well spoken professor though that many students enjoy. If he stated the policy clearly at the beginning of the semester and this student elected to text in the front row the professor should walk out. If they don't adhere to the rules they set in their syllabus then why should the students? I feel that if he would've noticed it and faulted on his policy a wise student could've exploited that to get a poor test grade dropped or some total BS like that.

Its about respect.

Although I agree with the author speaking towards the end. Ask the student to leave. Trouble is, that if the student says no, as the professor stated his hands are tied and he looks like a fool. But he could walk out then and the entire class would likely be upset with that student.

hmmmm

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 09:40:57 AM »
It's rather unfair to the rest of the class, isn't it?  While I understand the idea of having the students invoke vigilante justice on each other, all it takes is one idiot who doesn't want to have class who can whip out a phone and start texting.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 11:02:26 AM »
Topical article in the USD Volante*.

What do you think?  I think texting is really a waste of time.  I just don't need to communicate that much, and texting in front of people is just as rude as someone answering a phone call when you are having a conversation with them.

*I found this article in the RSS Feed Index.

Offline Plantains

• UND
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 11:17:44 AM »
texting is just as rude as a phone call. the only purpose texting serves is that eliminates that awkwardness. the same reason that people are all hard asses on the internet is the same reason why texting is such a popular thing. People can say something that they would never say to someone straightup. Its also nice when you don't really want to talk to someone but you want them to think you want to talk to them.

when I used to text alot if I didn't want to talk to one of the nearly trillions of girls that call me hourly I would just text them back "going to bed" while out at the club/bar.

HAHAHAHAHAAHA! Im so stupid. But seriously... thats not a real example, but thats essentially how i used it.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 10:55:44 PM »
when I used to text alot if I didn't want to talk to one of the nearly trillions of girls that call me hourly I would just text them back "going to bed" while out at the club/bar.

HAHAHAHAHAAHA! Im so stupid. But seriously... thats not a real example, but thats essentially how i used it.

I was gonna say, what are you a pimp?
CampusDakota.com

Offline netgeer

• UND
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 12:19:57 PM »
dude i txt all the time n no 1 kicks me out

y should they?  im paying, they should teach if im there or not

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything