Author Topic: Expert to test city of Fargo’s walkability  (Read 3223 times)

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Expert to test city of Fargo’s walkability
« on: August 24, 2008, 05:29:35 PM »
Expert to test city of Fargo’s walkability
Michelle Rydell, The Forum
Published Sunday, August 24, 2008

Four years ago, a national walking expert blasted Fargo and called it one of the least walkable of the nearly 1,600 communities he had visited across the country.

Dan Burden, executive director of the Florida-based Walkable Communities Inc., was especially critical of the southern sprawl area of the city during his visit here in 2004.

The Fargo-Moorhead area will be put to the test again this week.

Read on at http://www.in-forum.com/articles/rss.cfm?id=212574

While I think its good that they are looking into the walkability of Fargo, do they really need to pay over $12,000 to have some guy come in and do it?  Couldnt community members assess it themselves, be it a community survey or certain people that are tasked with looking into it.  It seems more and more communities are outsourcing everything for a hefty cost rather than finding resources from within the community.  I can think of several ways they could get an NDSU class to work on this.

I have to say though that you cant really expect Fargo to be walkable enough to be able to walk from the Southwest to NDSU or something.  Fargo is just too spread out like many communities.  I suppose they could improve with bike and walking paths, but everything costs money.
CampusDakota.com

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic