Author Topic: Fallacies in a recent Dakota Student article and its comments  (Read 17795 times)

Offline goon

• UND
Re: Fallacies in a recent Dakota Student article and its comments
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 01:26:53 AM »
Yeah great sense of scale.  If I don't like something I should just walk away.  Fuck voting, politicians suck, screw the law, I don't like people who break it anyway, to hell with defending the country, I don't agree with terrorist, and forget taxes, I don't really need a paved road.  And they are here for the Jews, not me.

Since this moron has such a great since of scale I would like to know what we are to do about combating rising tuition, our beloved school logo, and our move to division 1?  Oh yeah, he said some stuff, and then didn’t back it up, just like Renee.  Furthermore, if this guy would take his own advice, then he would have never written this garbage.  Does paying an extra 7 grand over 4-5 years really affect me 15 years down the road?  Does moving to division one have any bearing on my vacation 10 years from now?  Does declining enrolment really bother me?  I could give two shits if this school burns to the ground once I leave.  All those more important issues that REALLY wrote about are the short term inconsequential issues that nobody really cares about.  I am not going to be a student my whole life, but I will always be a hunter.

*as for the profanity, it is not my style, but I felt it was warranted*

I really have a problem with people who have far reaching forum to insult a craft like Hunting with out any facts or truth and make hunters out to be a bunch of foaming at the mouth nethandera ls, that run around in the woods drunk and blazing lead all over the place. Nothing in her article even resembles truth or anything worthy of academic praise. It just isn't true. Its like calling blonde's like her ditsy moronic bimbos. The problems that if you go on a lot of these political blogs both sides of the issue that is all you read, crap like she writes. The thing is that it's dumbing down our society.

The dumbing down of America seems to be in full motion: Please we need more than thsis same old Bush and Chenny lied so I wish they would F'N die. Aka Huffington Post and Daily Kos. All she is doing is inserting Hunters in the that place. I am not for censorship but this is a joke that isn't very funny.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 01:29:46 AM by goon »

Micki L.

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 05:53:01 PM »
I see two problems with this situation. First of all, she wrote an article about a topic she admittedly knows nothing about. She says she doesn't like hunting, thinks it's wrong, etc. Obviously she's not a hunter, so what is she doing writting an article about the topic. The topic of the article was supposed to express the opinion of herself and others who don't like to see or hear about hunting, and thats fine. Then comment on that, and not what you think hunters do when they're out hunting, because you don't, and not what you think hunting does to nature, because you don't know that either. It's blatantly obvious that she did no research for this article, which would be fine had she stuck to the "opinion" side of it, as that is what type of article it was supposed to be in the first place. The second problem I see here is the fact that the original poster tried to go through and critique not only Renee's argument, but the argument of those who responded to her article. As I've stated before, this was an OPINION piece, not a hard hitting fact filled article. It's ridiculous to apply all of these "debate" like standards to a piece written about a persons opinion. The only thing one could comment on is the fact that she didn't gather any facts at all, she went off on a tangent filled with stereotypes and ill-informed preconceptions. You can't be suprised that people reacted the way they did. If someone had written a piece about black people all being criminals, or indians or the irish all being drunks, or asians being bad drivers, no one would be suprised at the reaction. The fact that she applied the actions of a few the the character of many is the reason for the backlash, and you can't rationalize her opinion or the reactions to it.

Offline Ak attack

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 08:20:23 PM »
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 05:18:38 PM by Ak attack »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2007, 06:04:39 PM »
Why did you delete what you had to say, Ak?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2007, 07:56:24 AM »
I see two problems with this situation. First of all, she wrote an article about a topic she admittedly knows nothing about. She says she doesn't like hunting, thinks it's wrong, etc. Obviously she's not a hunter, so what is she doing writting an article about the topic. The topic of the article was supposed to express the opinion of herself and others who don't like to see or hear about hunting, and thats fine. Then comment on that, and not what you think hunters do when they're out hunting, because you don't, and not what you think hunting does to nature, because you don't know that either. It's blatantly obvious that she did no research for this article, which would be fine had she stuck to the "opinion" side of it, as that is what type of article it was supposed to be in the first place.
I don't have a  problem with this--this is her opinion versus hers about what and how much research she did.  I don't know, so I can't comment.

The second problem I see here is the fact that the original poster tried to go through and critique not only Renee's argument, but the argument of those who responded to her article. As I've stated before, this was an OPINION piece, not a hard hitting fact filled article.
This is a problem?  Does this affect you at all?

It's ridiculous to apply all of these "debate" like standards to a piece written about a persons opinion.
Why?  She wrote this opinion piece for a reason; we can infer that that reason was to convince others that her opinion is the correct one.  Why should I not expect someone to not commit logical fallacies when they are arguing a point?  Why should I not expect others to commit logical fallacies when arguing against that point?

The only thing one could comment on is the fact that she didn't gather any facts at all, she went off on a tangent filled with stereotypes and ill-informed preconceptions.
That's what I did, if you hadn't noticed.

You can't be suprised that people reacted the way they did. If someone had written a piece about black people all being criminals, or indians or the irish all being drunks, or asians being bad drivers, no one would be suprised at the reaction.
I am continually surprised at the stupidity of humanity.  Continually calling someone a slut does not make them so, whether they said something bad about hunters, black people, or the President.  If people would finally realize that, maybe we could have some useful debate in this country.

The fact that she applied the actions of a few the the character of many is the reason for the backlash, and you can't rationalize her opinion or the reactions to it.
I didn't think I had rationalized anything.  I'm saying that a lot of people are idiots here, does that make you think I am saying that what they did was okay?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 08:35:30 AM by mburtonk »

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• UND
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2007, 04:15:21 PM »
Some more idiots (on Facebook) asking for physical harm to Renee for this article.  I don't get it.

Quote from: Adam Pribula
Someone needs to slap this bitch.

Quote from: Dylan Gott
Hey I don't live in ND anymore but if you see her on campus....could you like trip her or something?

And one from someone who doesn't threaten her, but just sounds like an idiot:

Quote from: Nick Nupdal
Im sorry I wzz thought thizzz was America. What is thizzz a communist country or something? Thought thizzz was America. Thizzz America! If you don't like it then getttt out!

You can't make this stuff up . . .

IT'S A TRAP!!!!1!

Offline Ak attack

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2007, 09:07:25 PM »
Why did you delete what you had to say, Ak?

I'm sorry about that.  I deleted my clearing-up/apology portion on accident.  The reason i deleted anything was because i quoted admiral's post which had my "supposed" foul language in it, and i just wanted to clean up any traces of that, seeing as though it wasn't me.... you know the story now.  But the clearing-up/apology portion that i wrote myself in response to admiral's post was deleted on accident.  sorry about that.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2007, 01:43:55 PM »
Well, we hope you stick around and let us know what the 'real' Ak Attack thinks about things!

Offline Ak attack

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2007, 11:02:27 PM »
Yeah, no problem.

I guess my personal opinion on Renee's article was that I thought she could've looked at the hunters' perspectives a little more, but I know that it's her right with freedom of speech and everything, so I don't object to the fact that she wrote it.  I myself hunt because that is the way my parents raised me.  My parents are both successful and well educated people, (my mother is actually a teacher), and we come from a city of over 100,000 people.  That is where I think Renee rubbed a lot of people in the wrong way.  By portraying many hunters as backwoods slobs is pretty opinionated, but as I mentioned... I do realize she has the right to believe that and express her thoughts.  I wish she could have realized the good things that some hunters do, and my family alone gives a lot of time and money each year to wildlife restoration projects.  We have donated some of our family land to be set aside for organizations such as Ducks Unlimited, and they have developed the land into waterfowl and wildlife protection areas. 

All in all, I thought Renee wrote a strong article with good form, and it never should've been criticized in the harsh way that it was.  I feel sorry for her, and I don't agree with how many people reacted to her writing.  Some of the negative posts were horrible, but I hope people can understand and realize that not all people who hunt are bad people.  Hunters in general care for the environment, and have a purpose for hunting.  People who hunt don't just do it for the thrill of killing.  I hope my opinion helps everyone out, and I'm ashamed that some of my fellow hunters reacted and replied the way they did.

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• UND
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2008, 09:09:29 AM »
So, no more writing in the DS by Renee, she decided to take a little time off.
IT'S A TRAP!!!!1!

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2009, 12:26:39 PM »
This topic is locked.  You can still comment at http://www.campusdakota.com/node/54

realistic