Author Topic: Bikecicle 2011 - February 12th - planning thread  (Read 22857 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Bikecicle 2011 - February 12th - planning thread
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 04:50:33 PM »
Okay, so it looks like we'll be interfering with the xc ski trail on the east side of the course.  Any ideas?  We could double up the southwest side and run some of it through the snow, but it's going to be a lot of work for we who are volunteering.

As for going on the river, Grand Forks is okay with it (as long as we indemnify them) and I'm waiting to hear back from East Grand Forks.

Does anyone have a snowblower we could use for part of the course?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 12:35:25 AM »
Course looks good to me.   I got 2 shovels - no snowblower.  I have no problem dedicating some manpower to clearing portions of the course. 

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 02:31:38 PM »
I would love to pack down some sweet singletrack similar to the trails that get packed down on campus in the winter.  I have no idea how long such a thing would take to do, but since the course needs to be finalized anyway, I may go out and see what I can figure out on Saturday and try packing.  Even if we get some more snow, the trail would stay rideable until the race I think.

If that doesn't work, yeah, shovels.  And a lot more people I'll have to force to help out.

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 10:34:29 PM »
I'm SOL this weekend, but it would be relatively easy to pack down some snow... I think I have a some plywood in the shed we could plop down... stomp on it a few times, and keep going.  Repeat as necessary and include some foot traffic, and I bet we get a good approximation to the trails on campus. 

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 11:53:05 AM »
Why not just get a sled and some weight and put it on a bike?
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline sanders

• UND
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 01:19:09 PM »
yea that would be cool to get some single track stuff, i won't be able to go today. but sled or plywood in combonation with some foot traffic would work perfect.

once we get the course figured out better, we need to get an estimate of how many volunteers we need for the course.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 01:20:41 PM by sanders »
Alone you are an athlete but on a bike you are a rocket

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 03:37:27 PM »
I went out for two hours today and have a course in mind.  The snow is quite loose, but maybe we can take advantage of the warmer temperatures next week.  I didn't bother trying to finalize any of the singletrack sections, but the more people we get walking/riding through/over them the better they will end up.

If the snowmobile sections melt we're a little screwed, but if that happens we'll just have to run the same course as last year.

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 08:25:08 PM »
We could win Grand Forks if we built a fleet of those...

Offline Plantains

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 03:04:36 PM »
I feel like that plow is a horrible design due to the yaw that it would inevitably have? That said... the concept is great, just modify it so that the plow has a better CG.
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 12:03:27 PM »
Here's my map for the course after being out for two hours on Saturday.  It will utilize five volunteer positions and some large signs on the snowmobile trail.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 12:06:10 PM by Sal Atticum »

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2011, 08:21:24 PM »
Filling in volees at the top of this thread.

Offline Plantains

Typo on USAC

"Collegiate riders: If the correct category doesn't show up for you, select either Cat 3 (for C/D riders) or Cat 2 (for A/B riders) and send an email to [email protected] with your name and correct caegory and we will fix your registration."

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Fixed.

Offline Plantains

Logging in to view pages is stupid. Also... what is this?

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Logging in to view pages is stupid. Also... what is this?
The newspaper in East Grand Forks.  The guy who runs After 5 works there too so he interviewed me.  I'll try to get a copy and upload the article.

Offline Plantains

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 11:01:02 PM »
Oh nice...

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2011, 10:46:32 AM »
If anyone does or knows someone who snowmobiles on the Greenway, can you try to show some respect to other users?  I'm not saying that all snowmobilers are hooligans, and it may just be one idiot who's out there all over the place, but seriously, I'm not laying down tree trunks on the snowmobile trail, so why do some people feel the need to mess up the ski trail (the grooming of which was paid for by the residents of both cities)?  Why do some people need to drag snow into the path when it's been plowed?

I'm not against snowmobiles.  I know everyone enjoys winter in a different way, and I'm even HAPPY that the trail is there so we can use it in the race course, but please show some respect.

Meanwhile, I need to go back out and move some Bikecicle trail sections because some idiot went through and messed up the snow.  Not a huge deal, but since I wanted to have the race course open, rideable, and being ridden by people to wear it in the week before the race, this sort of thing makes me not want to make the effort.

Last mini-rant: So what's the deal with plowing the Greenway path up to the access points and then leaving a pile of snow you have to climb over?  Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose?  It's like the Washington Street underpass sidewalk staying unplowed for days after a snowfall--that's how people get back and forth past the stupid trainyard, do you think everyone who walks in the winter is young and ready to trudge through drifts of snow at a moment's notice?

Offline red hibiscus

• UND
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2011, 12:07:26 PM »

I'm sorry, but snowmobiles belong out in the country and not within city limits...for reasons such as this. And because they're basically obnoxious ::)

Offline OUWxGuesser

• UND
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2011, 09:17:23 PM »
So sleds are cool... but ya, there are idiots out there in every hobby it seems like. I think part of the issue is some of the riders out there are teens from EGF...  either oblivious or couldn't care less about other greenway users.

As far as the pile of snow issue goes, it's something worth reporting to greenway committee.  Perhaps the week before the race we can use some of the posts/tape  from the cx race and  try and keep individuals from wrecking the course?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything