Author Topic: New tolerance group on campus  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
New tolerance group on campus
« on: June 16, 2008, 10:16:46 AM »
Not on my Campus s about empowering individuals to appropriately protest acts of intolerance or promote acts of inclusiveness at UND. It is about standing up for one's personal principles in the face of fear, ridicule, opposition, apathy or out right bigotry.

Not On My Campus is about making a pledge to inclusiveness, not about pointing toward blame.

Not On My Campus is committed to ensuring that individuals have a place for a positive voice to support all those who have been victims of intolerance and to encourage those who have committed these acts to join us in taking a personal pledge to end intolerance on our campus.

What do you think?  Is this a necessary group?  Will it achieve its goal? 
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: New tolerance group on campus
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 08:09:25 PM »
Some would say no, but I think it could be beneficial to have such a group.  As long as no one in particular is targeted inappropriately.
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: New tolerance group on campus
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 10:20:52 AM »
Relating to the swastikas on campus last year, the Herald just published this.  You can blame them for bumping the topic.

When swastikas were found scrawled earlier this year on four UND buildings — the latest, in May, on a window of the law school — law professor Gregory Gordon responded with the focused intensity of a war crimes prosecutor.

He has the credentials. In 1996, Gordon went to Rwanda as a prosecutor for a United Nations-sponsored criminal tribunal examining the recent misery of that African nation, where ethnic hatred had led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of men, women and children.

He went to Rwanda carrying childhood memories of horrific newsreel images from the Holocaust, the mass killing of Jews by Nazi Germany during World War II.
RELATED CONTENT
Grand Forks Herald Web Icon   Kristallnacht lecture
Grand Forks Herald Web Icon   Ethics expert speaks at UND’s Olafson Ethics Symposium
   Chuck Haga Archive
“It left a profound mark on me,” Gordon said.

At UND, Gordon teaches courses in international human rights, and he leads the university’s new Center for Human Rights and Genocide Studies. Earlier this month, the center hosted a hero of the Norwegian World War II resistance, 90-year-old Gunnar Sonsteby, who told of his five-year fight against Nazi propaganda and repression.

Tonight, Gordon will introduce another speaker brought to campus by the Center for Human Rights and Genocide Studies: Dr. Fred Lyon, 80, a retired Minneapolis physician who as a child of 10 lived through Kristallnacht, “the night of broken glass,” when Nazis ransacked Jewish businesses in Berlin in 1938.
Continued...
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic