Author Topic: Sponsors  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Sponsors
« on: September 10, 2008, 10:36:32 AM »
Didn't know if this was club stuff or team stuff, I can move it if I have to.

Who has ideas for sponsors?  I'm not sure how it works for cycling clubs, but there are a number of businesses that might give us money, or food, or stuff to help us out.

-Urban Stampede
-Rhombus Guys
-Dakota Harvest
-Amazing Grains
-Ntractive (software company in town) ???
-University Station, Valley Dairy, Cenex (Gas $$$)
-Sprint Store (I know someone who works there)
-All the strip mall places near the Ralph looking for the UND connection
-Carhartt

Randomly, I might have a connection to a cycle/triathlon store in Lake Placid, NY that I might be able to talk to (High Peaks Cyclery and Fitness).

Also, here is a link to what YogaSlackers does for sponsorship.  I know we aren't pros, and we don't do this for a living, but it's interesting to read.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:41:29 AM by Sal Atticum »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

• I've succumbed to corporate level marketing ploys.
  • No you are the one that is stupid!
Re: Sponsors
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 11:04:14 AM »
1. Collegiate Cycling can be considered "Pro". I know that I still have our sponsorship packet from last year that I PAINSTAKINGLY made. Yost or some of the other chaps might have a copy. We'll obviously need to update the info to include our latest Palmares.

Most "corporations" Cannondale, Trek, Deda, ZIPP etc. etc. require you to submit a resume to be considered. Its a first come first served type of basis so the sooner the better. Same thing with trying to push for sponsorship locally (which is the BEST BEST BEST start).

Recall how long it took to get jerseys in and consider that IF we get sponsors interested in a jersey spot how we plan on working that out.

example. If 1 company wants to grab a $200 slot on our jersey and a dozen other companies want to be green sponsors and "donate" supplies... how do we accept that? We're not going to all put in another $150 each so that an advertiser can get $200 worth of advertisement and the club can make $200?

As for shops... I have gazillions of connections in the NY area (not in Lake Placid though) but unless they do lots of revenue over the web... it seems largely pointless for them to advertise unless they REALLY want to promote collegiate cycling?

I know for a FACT that Chad the OWNER of the shop in Hutchinson, MN is a founding member of UND Cycling and Emily (my gf) happens to not only live in hutchinson, but she's THERE NOW! He had expressed great interest in a sponsorship deal (an ON JERSEY sponsorship) for last season (towards the end) and I told him the timing just wasn't right.

I have contact info as well as Emmy being able to bat her eyelashes for us. In my opinion if we want a shop sponsor THAT is our shop sponsor. Ski Bike mentioned that they A. don't want a jersey spot, and B. don't care if we put another shop on there. Plus... they don't give us shit from the shop. They just give us money for trophies (which is awesome) for people that need trophies. We need bike parts. Chad says he can make that happen.

But Beek. You're right on with this. It needs to start and be DONE! by the end of sept! I suggest sending an inquiry to any and every major corporation (Nathan... do you have that standardized letter?). We should have our resume attached in .pdf.

As far as locally... Dakota Harvest fucking SHOULD sponsor us now that they've seen the cycling crowd hitting it up. Rhombus Guys seemed interested last year (as did dakota harvest and a number of others)... but as you all know.

Anyways. Beek. Get this INTO A MEETING!

Love... DC
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Plantains

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 11:05:53 AM »
PS... the shop Im working for here doesn't have a race team anymore. They do business via the web and a corporation but still private (so they have logic and reasoning on their side)

I'll see what I can do.

www.skimarket.com
Alaska Unicyclist: if you ban me, i'll set your complex on fire.... just a heads up

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 12:11:27 PM »
I can't take credit for this, Yost is the driving force, and I just wanted to get it up so we had someplace to talk about it.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline Plantains

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 06:15:55 PM »
Interested in SRAM Grass Roots Sponsorship (U.S.)?
We hope you will take the time to mail a Grass Roots Road or MTB proposal to us by October 31, 2008 and give us the opportunity to consider you for the 2009 season.

Grass Roots sponsorship is a program where SRAM will offer your local team aggressive pricing on SRAM, RockShox, Avid, and Truvativ componentry (based on availability and type of sponsorship) in exchange for logo placements, positive representation, and a commitment to your local shop owner. We look for teams and individuals who are committed to success, share a positive attitude, and have a true need.

Your proposal needs to include the following:
• your local bike shop affiliation (very important)
• an outline of your team (disciplines, history, region, rider highlights)
• an explanation of why you should be sponsored
• proposed 2009 racing calendar
• any advocacy work you have committed to

Send Mountain Bike Grass Roots proposals (any discipline) to:
SRAM Grass Roots Sponsorship Committee — MTB
1610 Garden of the Gods Road, Suite 150
Colorado Springs, CO 80907

Send road bike proposals (Cross, Road, Triathlon) to:
SRAM Grass Roots Sponsorship Committee — ROAD
1333 North Kingsbury, 4th Flr.
Chicago, IL 60622

All submissions need to be postmarked by October 31, 2008. All teams submitting a proposal will get a response indicating our decision except those submitted after Nov. 1. No electronic submissions, please.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic