Author Topic: 'Abstinence only' sex ed in North Dakota schools approved by state Senate  (Read 3725 times)

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
'Abstinence only' sex ed in North Dakota schools approved by state Senate
By: Associated Press, INFORUM

BISMARCK — Supporters of teaching North Dakota teenagers to avoid sex before marriage won a round in the state Senate on Monday.

North Dakota senators voted 39-8 to approve a bill that says schools should teach a sex education program based only on abstaining from sex until marriage.

At first the bill required abstinence instruction along with other sex education concepts — such as the use of condoms. But the measure was amended on the Senate floor to put its emphasis on abstinence only.

The proposal now goes back to the North Dakota House. House members could approve it, or ask for a conference committee with the state Senate to work out differences.

Some comments from Area Voices:

YEAS: Andrist; Berry; Bowman; Burckhard; Christmann; Cook; Dever; Dotzenrod; Erbele;
Fischer; Flakoll; Freborg; Grindberg; Hogue; Holmberg; Kilzer; Klein; Krebsbach;
Laffen; Larsen; Lee, G.; Lee, J.; Luick; Lyson; Mathern; Miller; Nething; Nodland;
O’Connell; Olafson; Robinson; Schaible; Schneider; Sitte; Sorvaag; Stenehjem;
Taylor; Wanzek; Wardner

NAYS: Heckaman; Marcellais; Murphy; Nelson; Oehlke; Triplett; Uglem; Warner

WHAT?! I must have read this wrong. Who on earth is this legislature supposed to be representing?? Definitely a HUGE step backwards for North Dakota. Let’s hope the national media doesn’t get a hold of this! :(

WHAT?! I must have read this wrong. Who on earth is this legislature supposed to be representing?? Definitely a HUGE step backwards for North Dakota. Let’s hope the national media doesn’t get a hold of this! :(

Ah yes, a return to the 19th century Victorian morals for North Dakota. What’s next, let’s make cohabitation an illegal activity? That will sure attract people to the state. Given the data shows that more than 60% of teens have had premarital sex before graduating high school (whether they had sex education or not), I guess that abstinence training at home isn’t working too well. I guess the legislature decided they might as well make a program already found to be ineffective in other states a mandatory program by government intervention. As with all legislation, it should have had a sunset clause. Let’s all look at the data together in 5 years and compare the rates of disease, unplanned pregnancy and abortion both 5 years before and 5 years after this law’s passage and find out how it actually works. If the legislature was willing to do this and put their ideas where their mouth is, it may have made more sense. I just hope someone will track this data and find out the truth.

Do you realize that by telling a child they can’t do something, they are going to do it regardless. Sex is not just an adult game anymore. Open your eyes. Have you heard of the show Teen Mom? They have shows dedicated to teen parents these days. I’m almost 30 and when I was in Junior High a 7th grade female classmate of mine got impregnated by a 6th grade male. Over half of my grade was having sex BEFORE they even got to high school! Now I’m not saying its ok, but it happens. If this was the case 17 years ago, what age do you suppose kids are learning on their own now? So ya, let’s not teach them about sex. Let’s wait until their parents think they should teach them. What age that is these days? I have no idea. But with 1 out of every 5 people on this planet having herpes, let’s wait until they are 18 when they have an incurable STD or are already pregnant. Oh by the way, that still leaves 4 out of 5 people, and 100 more STD’s. So ya, let’s all wait. That’s what is best because its an “Adults Game.”

Now all we need is creationism-only science class and that “brain drain” problem ND is facing will solve itself. If our kids don’t have brains, they won’t be able to drain!

And thats just a few of the opinions.  By far the vast majority of respondants on that site are against the new law, thought there are a few that are for it.

What are your thoughts?  Is this a good or bad thing?
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
 :BangHead:
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything