Author Topic: Stupid RIAA  (Read 4278 times)

Offline zman

• NDSU
Stupid RIAA
« on: May 14, 2007, 03:31:15 PM »
Yes I know "stealing" music is wrong and all, but the recording industry needs to move in another direction.

How can they expect people to legally download or buy music when its either expensive or the restrictions are stupid.

When I legally purchase music from Itunes it should be able to work on whatever playing device I want.  Why the hell am I paying money for a song that will only work in Itunes and on an Ipod: I dont even have a damn Ipod and I would like the music to work on my MP3 player.

Of course if I burn the music to a CD then rip it back to my computer I can do this, but I shouldnt have to.

When they wake up and stop screwing over the music listeners them maybe their will be a movement away from problems like those below.

Students pay price in probe

A North Dakota State University lawyer says students are paying a painful price for illegally downloading music, but he believes too many of them laughed off the issue in the first place.

Hundreds of people around the country using college computer systems have been threatened with lawsuits from the Recording Industry Association of America for pirating music off the Internet. Many of them have settled in the $3,200 and $4,500 range, NDSU lawyer Rick Johnson said.

“On one hand I feel bad, but I think it’s time some of the students woke up,” Johnson said. “Most of them wouldn’t ever think of stealing something from the store, but they didn’t take this issue seriously.”

Johnson knows of one NDSU student who settled for $4,200. “That is the only specific information I know of,” he said.

The RIAA sent letters in February offering settlements to 20 computer users on the system, which includes NDSU, the University of North Dakota, Mayville State, Valley City State, North Dakota State College of Science and Lake Region.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if there are individual conversations going on between the recording industry and other students,” NDSU spokesman David Wahlberg said. “I have no reason to believe it’s the end of the matter for students using the North Dakota system.”

NDSU was among the first batch of colleges targeted for copyright complaints. Six people on the system were targeted in so-called “John Doe” lawsuits filed in federal court.

“I just responded to that subpoena the other day,” Johnson said. “I think one or two of those may have settled.”

Johnson represents the school, not students.

“One thing we tell students who become part of this is that they may want to get their own representation,” Wahlberg said.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Re: Stupid RIAA
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 08:22:08 PM »
You can now buy music from certain labels on iTunes without DRM.  Steve Jobs is trying to get rid of it entirely.  It costs 30 cents more per song, but you can do whatever you want with it.

I'm pretty sick of the RIAA myself.  I'm also bothered by the television stations, who all of a sudden decide that everything they broadcast has to bring home some cash for them.  Whatever happened to free TV, and why did NBC feel the need to file a complaint against me last year (for downloading/redistributing something)?  I think ABC is on the right track by broadcasting their shows on the internet for free, with only a few ads.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline JakeJZG

• SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    • tl;dr
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 05:31:38 AM »
It is not stealing, but breaking the Copyright.  Nice misdirection.
Use Windows?  Want to know a better way?
Come join the East Dakota Linux Users Group!
http://talk.campusdakota.com/index.php?board=111.0
http://www.tldr.de/~edlug/

Offline zman

• NDSU
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 11:26:17 AM »
It is not stealing, but breaking the Copyright.  Nice misdirection.

Stealing was in quotes... ;)

Offline JakeJZG

• SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    • tl;dr
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 03:46:16 PM »
My excuse is that I hadn't slept in 24 hours.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Use Windows?  Want to know a better way?
Come join the East Dakota Linux Users Group!
http://talk.campusdakota.com/index.php?board=111.0
http://www.tldr.de/~edlug/

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything