Author Topic: Review: Annie Chun's Noodle Express Chinese Chow Mein  (Read 5578 times)

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
Review: Annie Chun's Noodle Express Chinese Chow Mein
« on: November 15, 2007, 06:04:33 PM »
This isn't a restaurant review, but since many of us are college students on a budget, we should deal with the food we eat from day to day as well as the restaurants we eat at occasionally.

Today I was shopping at Target and on a whim grabbed a couple microwave asian dishes to try (I don't go home for lunch from my office, I never remember to pack one before I come into school, and I'm too cheap most of the time to buy food at the Union).  The one I tried today was Annie Chun's Noodle Express Chinese Chow Mein.  I finished it a couple minutes ago.

If I ever do another review, we'll see if I can keep the criteria the same!

Difficulty:  Easy to make (had to open a couple packets and dump them into a bowl that they supply).  Microwave for about a minute and eat.

Taste:  I don't eat a lot of Chinese, but it tasted pretty good (I'm also hungry).  I have no idea how it stacks up against 'real' chow mein, but supposedly this flavor is based on a recipe that "won top honors at New York's Fancy Food Show."  We'll have to let someone else be the judge.  I'd eat it again.

Price:
  $2.99 before tax at Target.

Healthy Stuff (per bowl):  320 Calories, 8g fat, 1020 mg sodium, 54g carbs, 10g protein.

Calories/dollar:  One of the important things for staying alive on a budget--if it's cheap with no calories, there isn't any point in eating it.  107 Calories/dollar.  It's more expensive than ramen, but maybe it really is better for you?

Other comments:  It comes in an "Earth-Friendly Biodegradable Tray" inside of a cardboard sleeve.  While I see that they are trying to make a point about being Earth-friendly, wouldn't it be better and cheaper to not have a big cardboard sleeve on the outside (maybe have a sticker instead?)?  Also, what does one do with this tray--I recycle as much as I can, so it sort of bothers me to just toss this chunk of plastic in the trash.  Can I put it in with other plastic?  There isn't a number on it.  I went to the website listed because I wasn't paying attention, but rather than being about the bowl, it's a link to donate money to the World Food Program (I don't have a problem with this, but it wasn't what I was expecting to see).

Anyway, that's my take on this microwave meal of the day.  It's been 20 minutes or so and I'm feeling rather hungry . . .
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 06:05:39 PM by mburtonk »
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Review: Annie Chun's Noodle Express Chinese Chow Mein
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 06:28:26 AM »
That sodium level is a little high?  Then again a lot of Chinese food is..?  At least the chicken fried rice I ate last night, one container had over 100% of my daily value, but it tasted good!
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 09:11:42 AM »
It wasn't a very good deal.  It didn't fill me up at all.  Maybe I will review the one I ate yesterday too.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 09:13:14 AM »
It wasn't a very good deal.  It didn't fill me up at all.  Maybe I will review the one I ate yesterday too.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic
anything