Author Topic: New Sports Arena  (Read 5437 times)

Offline bisonguy

• NDSU
New Sports Arena
« on: December 03, 2006, 10:32:23 PM »
I recently heard something about a new sports arena for NDSU Basketball, does anyone know anything about this?

Offline HDnE gal

• NDSU
Re: New Sports Arena
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 05:30:06 PM »
I recently heard something about a new sports arena for NDSU Basketball, does anyone know anything about this?

I have heard that they are kicking around ideas for attaching something on to the FargoDome or building something in S. Fargo.  I vote for something on the FargoDome, I don't think I would like to drive to S. Fargo to see games...

Offline ge_bjf007

• NDSU
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 06:36:51 PM »
Walaker proposes addition
By Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Wednesday, November 29, 2006
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=147821

Fargo Dome Authority members saw a slam-dunk Tuesday in Mayor Dennis Walaker?s proposal to add a multipurpose arena to the Fargodome to host Bison basketball and other events.

Walaker said the 7,000- to 8,000-seat addition will ensure the dome?s success as a regional events center and keep North Dakota State University?s home court on campus.

The university is also considering an offer from developer Ace Brandt to move Bison hoops into a proposed 8,000- to 8,500-seat arena in his Urban Plains by Brandt development in south Fargo.

Walaker said he?s afraid Brandt?s arena would draw events away from the Fargodome and, coupled with changes in the concert industry, turn the city-owned dome into a money-losing facility for the first time since it opened in 1992.

The Dome Authority voted unanimously to appoint members Ryn Pitts and David Suppes to a task force to explore the feasibility of an addition and come up with a preliminary cost estimate. Walaker said he doesn?t have a rough price tag.

The addition would sit on the dome?s west side and accommodate smaller concerts, basketball games and other conventions and trade shows, Walaker said in a letter distributed Tuesday to the Dome Authority, city commissioners and NDSU President Joseph Chapman.

If everything goes smoothly, the addition could be open by fall 2008, Walaker said.

Dome Authority President Marilyn Guy said the group is excited about the flexibility an addition could provide for hosting smaller, more intimate events and larger events by combining the two arenas.

Walaker and others stressed several times that the addition would not host hockey. The city will leave that up to Brandt, who has proposed a 4,000-seat, four-sheet hockey complex that Walaker called ?extremely appropriate.?

The addition would have to be built in partnership with NDSU, Walaker said.

About $12 million to $15 million in excess revenue from the half-cent Fargodome sales tax could be available for the addition, he said. Revenue from the tax was originally projected to grow by 4 percent annually, but instead has grown by 7 percent to 8 percent per year, he said.

The 20-year tax expires Dec. 31, 2008.

The city also could sell the naming rights for the addition or the dome itself, he said.

Private donations from NDSU supporters also would play a major role in funding an addition, Walaker said.

NDSU has raised more than $8 million to renovate the Bison Sports Arena, its current home court. But the total cost is estimated at more than $16 million, said Erv Inniger, NDSU?s senior associate athletic director for development and one of the seven Dome Authority members.

Walaker, a past president of NDSU Team Makers, said spending that much money on the BSA when the Bison could be playing in a new arena ?seems like a travesty.?

As proposed Tuesday, the addition would need approval from a majority of the Dome Authority and City Commission, and Walaker said he believes there?s support.

Dome Authority member Russ Johnson said it?s the perfect time to look seriously at a dome addition. But in a written statement to his fellow members and Walaker, he said he found it ?very disturbing? that he wasn?t notified of a meeting last week at NDSU during which dome-related business was discussed.

Walaker explained that he was invited to the meeting, which he said also was attended by City Administrator Pat Zavoral, Fargo Planning Commission Chairman John Q. Paulsen, Chapman, NDSU Athletic Director Gene Taylor and John Adams, NDSU?s vice president for business and finance.

Walaker said the meeting?s purpose was to gauge NDSU?s interest in Brandt?s offer. He said Chapman called it a very attractive offer and one that NDSU has to consider ?unless somebody else steps forward.?

Chapman could not be reached for comment Tuesday evening.

Walaker said he will likely appoint City Commissioner Brad Wimmer and either himself or Commissioner Tim Mahoney to serve on the task force.

Inniger said Bison hoops could remain in the BSA for another year or two while the dome addition is being built.

Keith Bjerke, NDSU?s vice president for university relations and a Dome Authority member, said NDSU will continue to visit with all parties involved about a basketball arena.

?But the partnerships we?ve had with the city have been successful, and there?s no reason to think that won?t continue,? he said.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Mike Nowatzki at (701) 241-5528

---

I say build it, it will make Bison sports and the city that much better!
Go Bison!

Offline zman

• NDSU
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 03:01:20 PM »

Sweet info ge.  I think it is a really sweet idea to add on near the dome.  It will give the Bison a great place to play some games.  Lets hope if they do build it, it feels like the home of the Bison!

Offline bisonguy

• NDSU
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 12:20:53 AM »
Isnt it weird how you hear about stuff, then it seems to disappear.  I havent heard anything about this in awhile, I suppose it doesnt help that I dont read the Fargo Forum regularly.

Offline zman

• NDSU
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 08:21:09 PM »
I recently read an article about it in the Fargo Forum.  Apparently they are moving forward on looking into the project, but they are in no rush.  Below is some of the article.

Dome tax argument heats up
Mike Nowatzki
The Forum - 01/16/2007

Fargo City Commissioner Mike Williams ignited a fiery debate Monday by suggesting excess Fargodome sales tax funds could be used for a ?community stewardship fund? instead of a dome expansion.

Williams cast the lone vote against the Fargo Dome Authority?s request to spend up to $50,000 in sales tax funds to hire an architect to create a rough design and cost estimate for an expansion.

A task force is studying Mayor Dennis Walaker?s proposal to add a 7,000- to 8,000-seat multipurpose arena to the dome to host North Dakota State University basketball and other events to ensure the dome stays viable and doesn?t lose money.

But Williams said that?s just one way to use the sales tax funds, and the public hasn?t been asked for its ideas.

The community also has crucial needs, such as providing shelter for the homeless and affordable housing, he said. He suggested putting all of the excess sales tax funds into the dome?s escrow account for future maintenance and using a portion of the interest for a stewardship fund to address those needs.

?Maybe we?ll put it to a vote,? Williams said. ?Maybe we say, ?Basketball arena or community stewardship fund. What do you want to do?? ?

But other commissioners said they need information on the cost and scope of a dome expansion before deciding whether or not to pursue it.

?We need to find out first of all how much money there is and how much is it going to cost, and then we can make some decisions,? Walaker said. ?Right now it?s extremely early in the process to be shooting this thing down.?

Williams also expressed concern that sending out a request for proposals from architects could ?unduly influence? another architect who is updating the dome?s long-range capital improvement plan.

In a nutshell, that plan will identify how much money the dome will need in escrow for future maintenance ? and how much sales tax revenue might be available for an expansion.

Dome officials hope to have $15 million in escrow when the half-cent dome sales tax expires Dec. 31, 2008. A separate sales tax surplus fund is projected to have $8 million to $10 million by that time.

Dome Authority President Marilyn Guy said an architect won?t be hired and none of the $50,000 will be spent until after officials get the updated capital improvement plan.

?So we think that?s good timing,? she said.

?I don?t think we?re rushing it,? City Commissioner Brad Wimmer added. ?I think we?re trying to move it along but yet be prudent with that.?
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=153133&section=news

Offline NDSUFREAK

• NDSU
  • Towel waver in section 2
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 09:23:30 PM »
Commision had a meeting last thursday I believe on the arena.

Offline zman

• NDSU
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 09:52:52 PM »
Commision had a meeting last thursday I believe on the arena.

I hope this doesnt get dragged out for years  :(

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Tax may be dome option
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 12:50:02 AM »
Tax may be dome option
Mike Nowatzki
The Forum - 02/24/2007

Fargo voters could be asked to approve a tax to fund a Fargodome addition if the dome sales tax doesn?t generate enough money to support the project.

Dome Authority President Marilyn Guy said that?s just one option being considered as officials anxiously await the results of a long-range capital improvement plan for the dome.

The plan, which hasn?t been updated since 1995, will identify the dome?s maintenance needs over the next 50 years.

The Dome Authority and City Commission are tentatively scheduled to get their first look at the plan Friday.

They?re particularly interested in how much sales tax money will be left over after putting enough in escrow to meet the dome?s future needs.

Dome officials hope to have at least $15 million in escrow when the half-cent dome sales tax expires Dec. 31, 2008. A separate sales tax surplus fund is projected to have $8 million to $10 million by that time.

Guy said earlier projections of $21 million between the two funds could grow to as much as $29 million based on updated projections.

That would make it more likely that the dome could fund its share of an addition that would host North Dakota State University basketball, mid-sized concerts and other events, she said.

However, if the excess sales tax isn?t sufficient to cover both the dome?s future needs and an addition, officials must look at other funding options or scrap the project, Guy said.

?It all depends on what happens with that (capital improvement plan),? she said.

In a Jan. 17 e-mail to fellow Dome Authority member Ryn Pitts, Guy referred to a Jan. 15 City Commission meeting during which Commissioner Mike Williams suggested a public referendum could be held to decide whether a dome expansion was the best use for the excess sales tax.

?I don?t think that Mike will successfully carry his argument into a referendum to the city to vote on the expansion, but I think the cost may cause us to have to go to the citizens to raise a tax to finance it,? Guy wrote.

The Forum obtained the e-mail through an open records request that sought documents related to the proposed Urban Plains Center and Tournament Facility in southwest Fargo.

Mayor Dennis Walaker, who initially proposed the 7,000- to 8,000-seat dome addition in September, said Friday he?d like to see the cost split among the city-owned dome, NDSU and private donors.

?There has been no talk that I have been involved with dealing with a sales tax for the dome (addition),? he said.

Readers can reach Forum reporter

Mike Nowatzki at (701) 241-5528
CampusDakota.com

Offline zman

• NDSU
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 12:18:09 AM »
Maybe I am bias, but I would like to see about whatever it takes to get the new sports arena up.  It could bring a lot, more then just for NDSU.

Offline bisonguy

• NDSU
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 10:39:40 PM »
Maybe I am bias, but I would like to see about whatever it takes to get the new sports arena up.  It could bring a lot, more then just for NDSU.

+++

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

anything
realistic