Author Topic: Sioux vote against name  (Read 6849 times)

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• UND
Sioux vote against name
« on: November 15, 2007, 09:31:09 AM »
Thats no good.  We need to do something to help show them we can keep the name.

Tribe votes to reject UNDnickname

Nov 15, 2007 - 05:39:40 CST
By TONY SPILDE/Bismarck Tribune
The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe has three years to decide where it stands on the issue of the Fighting Sioux nickname.

But it didn't even take three weeks for tribal officials to firmly state their position.

The tribal council on Friday voted 8-1 to reaffirm its opposition to the University of North Dakota's nickname and logo.

A settlement between the school and the NCAA on Oct. 26 granted UNDthree years to lobby for support among the state's Sioux Indian community - namely, the Standing Rock and Spirit Lake tribes.

The Spirit Lake council hasn't taken action on the issue, tribal secretary-treasurer Brian Pearson said this week.

Ron His Horse Is Thunder, chairman of the Standing Rock Sioux tribe, was unavailable for comment Wednesday. But when the state Board of Higher Education approved the settlement last month, His Horse Is Thunder said he thought UND officials should use the three years to plan for changing the nickname and dropping the logo, rather than attempting to persuade the tribes to change their minds. Officials on Standing Rock appeared to back up that statement by acting quickly to restate their distaste for the nickname.

However, two members chose not to vote on Friday, and six others were absent, council member David Bird said. UNDstill has until 2010 to coax a different decision from the tribe.

UND spokesman Peter Johnson said he hadn't seen the resolution, and wouldn't comment on the vote without reviewing it.

"We're looking forward to having conversations with both the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and the Spirit Lake Sioux Tribe,"Johnson said. "Ipersonally hope there will be some very positive results - mutually beneficial results - regardless of what happens."

In 2005, the NCAAbanned the use of the Fighting Sioux nickname in postseason play, saying it was hostile and abusive. The school twice appealed the decision - losing both times - before challenging the ruling in a lawsuit against the association last year. The settlement put the decision in the hands of the Sioux tribes.

Should the tribes demand a change, UND would have to remove most of the Indian imagery from its Grand Forks campus. It could keep historical items and items embedded in the architecture.

(Reach reporter Tony Spilde at 250-8260 or tony.spilde@;bismarcktribune.com.)
IT'S A TRAP!!!!1!

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
Re: Sioux vote against name
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 11:23:18 PM »
So are the students united or divided on the subject?  Does there seem to be any sort of pattern to their support/lack of?
CampusDakota.com

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 09:51:17 AM »
There are a few different groups.  I don't think you could say we are united or divided, because it really depends on in how much detail you look at the issue.  If we were going to go by simple majority, the pro-nickname camp has the numbers.

I see these groups:
1.  Pro-nickname.  The full-on hardcore "GO SIOUX!!111!" students.  They don't care about what the name means as long as they can get drunk and yell it, and maybe have some fun making racial slurs.

2.  Pro-nickname.  The students who believe that the nickname really is an honor to the Sioux tribes, and don't understand why the Sioux tribes would not want a sports team named after them. 

3.  Pro-nickname.  The students and alumni who don't like change.  "You aren't going to change my nickname!  Once the Sioux, always the Sioux!"

4.  Pro-nickname.  The ones who realize the physical cost of a nickname change, and would like that money put towards something more meaningful for an educational institution.  There are very few who argue on this point alone.

5.  Anti-nickname.  Those who think the name is "hostile and abusive," and that we should change it because the NCAA told us to.

6.  Anti-nickname.  Those who think the nickname is un-PC, and that we should change it in order to be better people.

7.  Anti-nickname.  Those who think the nickname is a stupid choice in the first place and should be changed on principal.

8.  Everybody else.

Often people fall into one or more of these groups, and I would be willing to bet that there are more people sitting on the fence than let on.  It's hard to be vocal when you're sitting on the fence, look at me.  Contrary to popular belief, Native students fall onto both sides of the issue, for different reasons.  I imagine that most of the actual tribespeople fall into the "Everybody else" category, including the tribal leaders.

You could call this divided; I call it confused.
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 06:26:10 AM »
I suppose that is true, I am sure many people dont know where to sit on the issue.  I know if it was happening here... if some Bison started saying stuff. I would be like WTF... Both at the talking Bison and what to think.  Though I know that is not the same thing and a poor example.  I blame it on the hour and lack of sleep.

Ignore the above and use the below.

I understand how they could be sitting on the fence, it changing the very fabric of parts of the institution.
CampusDakota.com

Offline goon

• UND
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 07:17:57 AM »
I think percentage wise there are very few students against the name. There  is not a ground swell of people that are for removing it.

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• UND
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 08:06:41 PM »
I suppose that is true, I am sure many people dont know where to sit on the issue.  I know if it was happening here... if some Bison started saying stuff. I would be like WTF... Both at the talking Bison and what to think.  Though I know that is not the same thing and a poor example.  I blame it on the hour and lack of sleep.

Ignore the above and use the below.

I understand how they could be sitting on the fence, it changing the very fabric of parts of the institution.

:lol:
IT'S A TRAP!!!!1!

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 11:26:37 PM »
Would it be less painful for the institution to just make the change?
CampusDakota.com

Offline goon

• UND
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 12:06:44 AM »

I don't believe so. Because a lot of the evidence and case for changing the Fighting Sioux name has been based in half truth, deceit and miss information.

Offline pmp6nl

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota.com
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 11:07:12 PM »

I don't believe so. Because a lot of the evidence and case for changing the Fighting Sioux name has been based in half truth, deceit and miss information.

Do you have any evidence that can be used to support your claim?  Just wondering?
CampusDakota.com

Offline goon

• UND
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 11:34:40 PM »

Do you have any evidence that can be used to support your claim?  Just wondering?

Go ahead and read the Grand Forks Herald, daily they are the leading/cutting edge of missinformation, today there is an article on a study that was conducted, the Herald failed to even mention that the person that conducted the study was a known name change activist, that person can't be object nor should his study be disguised as being objective. All along during this process or lack of process there has been claims of harassment but the docket that is supposed to be full of evidence only contains acedontal evidence.

Offline Sal Atticum

• Administrator
    • Campus Dakota
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 09:10:05 AM »
Go ahead and read the Grand Forks Herald, daily they are the leading/cutting edge of missinformation, today there is an article on a study that was conducted, the Herald failed to even mention that the person that conducted the study was a known name change activist, that person can't be object nor should his study be disguised as being objective. All along during this process or lack of process there has been claims of harassment but the docket that is supposed to be full of evidence only contains acedontal evidence.

As much as I typically want to believe that the Herald is not a very good newspaper, I'm not sure you're giving any evidence to refute them.  So what is the average person (who doesn't know everything all the "pro-nickname" people do, obviously) to do?
JUST EXTRA POLISH. I DO SOME WORK WITH EXCELL SO I KEEP THE CAPS LOCK ON :-P

Offline goon

• UND
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 11:39:19 AM »
The problem with the herald story was that they tried to lead everyone into believeing that Dana Williams was an objective reasercher when it just wasn't the case.
If one hadn't been around UND during that person's time some wouldn't have known that this person was out there on the front line against the name. The Herald failed to mention that when they were plugging his so called objective research.

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• UND
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 09:02:56 AM »
So are we ever going to have someone who is interested enough in the name to study it but not on either of the six different sides?  I doubt it.  Of Course the Herald is going to have an opinion, they just shouldn't try to be so secretive about what that opinion is.
IT'S A TRAP!!!!1!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is an apple, it starts with an r?:
What is 5 plus 5?:
Which Dakota has the city of Fargo:

realistic
anything